Having trouble telling if I'm still losing or not

Options
2»

Replies

• 18mojo18
    18mojo18 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck at no weight loss now for 2 weeks or more and I can't figure out why.....I started insanity workout and I'm on my 2nd week and I have some loss in waist and hip measurements but the scale shows me gaining a pound or two here and there and I'm getting pretty sick of it! I feel good about the body measurement changes but I'm in the last and final month of a 'biggest loser' competition here at work and the looming pressure of the final weigh in on May 22nd is causing me stress because I can't go in there and have gained weight - my team mates are counting on me.

I know muscle weighs more than fat, I have significantly upped my fluid intake due to the hard core morning workouts and my body could be retaining fluids, and I'm at 1200 cal but net cal is around 1600 because I'm burning approx 400 cal per each day of workout.

What am I doing wrong? I feel like not eating any food and starving myself or sometimes I feel the opposite and want to run into Whataburger for a combo meal with large fries but either way, there must be some combination of something I'm not doing right. Maybe because I'm 52 my metabolism is old and will take weeks to trigger any loss of poundage...I don't know. Any thoughts my fitness pals? Thanks
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I certainly hope I didn't discourage anyone from wanting to try and build muscle with my bulking analogy. That was not my intention. Remember that there are 52 weeks in a year, so that is potentially like 25 lbs of muscle. To put that into perspective, go to the grocery store and buy 25 lbs of lean ground beef. That's a lot of meat! Now take that meat and spread it all over yourself so you can see what you will look like with your new muscle. Post pictures too, because I want to see that.

HAHA let me just go buy some ground beef and slather myself up with it. That would be hilarious.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I'm stuck at no weight loss now for 2 weeks or more and I can't figure out why.....I started insanity workout and I'm on my 2nd week and I have some loss in waist and hip measurements but the scale shows me gaining a pound or two here and there and I'm getting pretty sick of it! I feel good about the body measurement changes but I'm in the last and final month of a 'biggest loser' competition here at work and the looming pressure of the final weigh in on May 22nd is causing me stress because I can't go in there and have gained weight - my team mates are counting on me.

I know muscle weighs more than fat, I have significantly upped my fluid intake due to the hard core morning workouts and my body could be retaining fluids, and I'm at 1200 cal but net cal is around 1600 because I'm burning approx 400 cal per each day of workout.

What am I doing wrong? I feel like not eating any food and starving myself or sometimes I feel the opposite and want to run into Whataburger for a combo meal with large fries but either way, there must be some combination of something I'm not doing right. Maybe because I'm 52 my metabolism is old and will take weeks to trigger any loss of poundage...I don't know. Any thoughts my fitness pals? Thanks

Hi.

I think you're better off asking this in another thread. You'll get more responses and help there.

Just go here and click on "Post Topic" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/9-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help

and copy/paste what you just posted here in there.

Good luck.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but since upping my calories to match my workouts a llittle better, what I've found is a very strange pattern of weightloss. I maintain, I increase a little, and then I lurch down. The lurch happens maybe once a month. I've noticed a few people with a similar pattern of loss.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but since upping my calories to match my workouts a llittle better, what I've found is a very strange pattern of weightloss. I maintain, I increase a little, and then I lurch down. The lurch happens maybe once a month. I've noticed a few people with a similar pattern of loss.

I wonder if that's what's going on with me then. I had a lurch down about a month ago, then just fluctuations since.

I hope I "lurch" again shortly :smile:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Possibly. It's been a pattern for me since I upped my cals at christmas. Basically just as I'm about to give up and start starving myself, I have a lurch. :-)
  • 18mojo18
    18mojo18 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Hi.

I think you're better off asking this in another thread. You'll get more responses and help there.

Just go here and click on "Post Topic" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/9-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help

Good luck.
    [/quote]

Sorry, didnt mean to ask a question inside the thread you had started. Thanks for the advice.:blushing:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Hi.

Good luck.

Sorry, didnt mean to ask a question inside the thread you had started. Thanks for the advice.

No problem. I just think you'd get more answers by posting your own is all :smile:

:flowerforyou:

Good luck to you!
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    When you increase your calorie intake... it will take your body a little time to adjust. just be patient
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    When you increase your calorie intake... it will take your body a little time to adjust. just be patient

I'm going to wait another week or so to see if I can tell any progress. If not, I might change things up. I've been on the higher calorie goal for about 4 weeks (just checked my diary).
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I wonder if that's what's going on with me then. I had a lurch down about a month ago, then just fluctuations since.

I hope I "lurch" again shortly :smile:

I've been "lurching" lately too. But people keep asking me if I've lost more weight etc.