Better to run in shorts or leggings/running tights?

Which do you think would be better?

Replies

• Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Well, I've got ginormous thighs that love to "eat" my shorts, so I prefer cropped leggings/tights. Try both and wear what's going to be comfortable for YOU!!! Nothing sucks more than wearing shorts while running and having to tug them down because your thighs are chafing (for me). :)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    huh?

wear what you want..it is all personal preference. the less you wear the cooler you feel though :) as in temp.....
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Shorts for me. I've run in my long running tight when it was cold, but I definitely prefer shorts.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Well, I've got ginormous thighs that love to "eat" my shorts, so I prefer cropped leggings/tights. Try both and wear what's going to be comfortable for YOU!!! Nothing sucks more than wearing shorts while running and having to tug them down because your thighs are chafing (for me). :)

Same for me. When I wear shorts, I am constantly having to tug at them. Wear whatever you prefer.
  • I feel like my legs are restricted in leggings. even when it's cold I always wear shorts, just chuck on a running jacket and my body temp is back to normal
    Leggings always seem to fall down on me anyway so it's much better to not deal with that, just get some shorts the right size and length and there's no problem
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Shorts for me. I've run in my long running tight when it was cold, but I definitely prefer shorts.

Exactly this.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Shorts, I get too warm in anything else. I'd prefer briefs (like on the olympics) but I think even more people would honk, shout and wave.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    If I could run naked, I would.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member

Same for me. When I wear shorts, I am constantly having to tug at them. Wear whatever you prefer.

Ditto... though I am going to try actual running shorts instead of "sport" shorts. You know the nylon feeling ones that sometimes have the underware liner in them. I don't know if that will make a difference but I also have a pair of running shorts that are like spandex that I can wear under shorts for the really hot weather and my thighs don't chaf but they still ride up :blushing:
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Shorts, I boil to death running in shorts and a vest top so anything that covers my whole legs would make me want to curl up and die from heat exhaustion! I just try to buy slightly longer than average shorts so they don't ride up
  • arojas1227
    arojas1227 Posts: 56 Member
    Leggings are the most comfortable for me :) Shorts tend to ride up (hopefully that won't happen after more weight loss) and also come down my waist.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Weather dependant. I don't like/wear shorts. So it's either leggings if it's super cold, capri tights if it's below 50, otherwise I run in skirts!
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Everyone's different but I also hate having to pull down my shorts so I prefer capri workout pants all year round for all exercises.
  • Both. At the same time. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    For pure comfort & coolness I prefer to run in shorts however I've found that I recover far more quickly from long runs when I wear my compression tights (I'm not sure the general public can ever recover from the sight of me going down the bike path wearing them......) and they're wicking, so almost as cool as shorts
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I run in bike shorts under my running shorts or compression shorts. Sometimes yoga capris. My thighs have a lot of loose skin from the weight loss so they chafe badly if I don't.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    I say leggings/tights because my thighs chafe.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    I would wear whatever makes you comfy. Though with it getting ready to be summer shorts would be more comfortable and cooler so that you don't overhead.

I wish I could run in general or at least jog.. I did all the time in high school, but now I can barely jog to the corner and i'm outta breath.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Capris when it's colder and I'm just starting to wear shorts. I just got some new ones I like that are longer. I posted about it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/592622-new-workout-gear?page=1#posts-8479253
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    "Doin's what does it!" remember that! Read all the articles of Runner's magazine and ask all you want about exercising (I've been there) but unless you get out there and find out which of the choices you're asking about works best for you, you won't burn a calorie.
    Then again, I was there, I had 'analysis paralysis'. Just get out there and play. You may be a little too self conscious at the beginning but eventually you'll be like 'who cares!' I'm doing this for me.
    Just get out and have fun! :)