Is it worth lifting when no where near goal?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jaxper
    Jaxper Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Everything that everyone has said up to this point, I second.

Just a little info to keep in the back of your mind, if you start lifting, is that the weight will not fall off as quickly because muscle weights more than fat. That being said, if you're maintaining your caloric intake, but the weight isn't coming off, that's a pretty good indicator that you're gaining muscle as well!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It is NEVER a waste of time to start lifting.

Will you stop losing weight? Trick question. Try this one instead...

Will you stop losing fat? NO.

Will you gain muscle? YES.

Weight lifting develops muscle and muscles have been known to eat fat, so...this is a win/win situation.

You can't go wrong lifting weights at any phase. Even if you are just starting out!

Start with just the bars and the lightest dumbbells you can find. This will help your muscles develop a little bit of muscle memory and help you when you move to the next phase and some heavier weights.

Do a little bit. Just lift for one set of ten reps of the lightest weights on each exercise and put them away on day one.

Build a little each day and you won't hurt yourself. You will be glad you gave yourself the head start instead of waiting.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I am so not the expert... I am just getting started myself... but I can tell you my personal experience... since lifting ( HEAVIER) I have broken the plateau... and dropped a solid pant size! And feel better than I have ever in my life... thats my two cents!
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The more muscles you have the more calories you burn while at a 'resting rate'. :-)
    I've also personally found that lifting helps tighten my skin!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I've still got 75lbs or so left to lose.

Let me tell you, it is SO worth it.

I might not be dropping the same amount on the scales at the moment, but I'm SO much smaller now than I was when I was last this same weight.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    This blog post sums it up perfectly:

http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/tools-for-weight-loss/why-i-lift-weights/

Do it now (or yesterday as someone said in another thread)

You might even find you look you wanted to look at goal weight....before you get there. :)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I told my trainer I wanted to lose weight, and he said cardio 6 days/week and lift heavy (with him) 3-4 days a week. It's working well and I'm happy with what I've seen so far:) I know I'm building muscle because I can lift a lot more now than I did a month ago. If nothing else, I will be able to lift hard when i finally reach the "toning" phase!
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    you are not wasting your time. Someday you will see a difference and be glad you did it! It does take time but it is worth it.
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    Lift man. Lift. Lift, and Lift
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself I'm not going to start lifting until I lose more weight... but it's because I don't feel like lifting weights, lol!

I am such a silly person. :blushing: