Gaining

Options
I started eating more to lose more, and now I've gained 2 pounds and inches! Can someone please look at my diary? I started doing this on Monday.

Replies

• chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    How many pounds?Ypu are over your Macros every day. You are eating tons of junk.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    How many pounds?

2, and inches
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    1. It's been three days. Your weight can definitely fluctuate by that much overnight.
    2. When you up your calories, you will gain in he beginning. Give it a few weeks, and you'll see the loss.
  • charliedavisxxx
    charliedavisxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump :(
  • chrisb75
    Options
    How many pounds?

2, and inches
    As i edited, ypu are eaying tons of junk, you are over your Macros every day as well. What is your exercise routine? Plus, unless ypu 7500 calories OVER ypur maintenence levels you didnt gain fat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    It takes a while. Give it a month. Your body doesn't turn on a dime. Five pounds fluctuation in a day is not uncommon, and is usually water shifts.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    How many pounds?

2, and inches
    As i edited, ypu are eaying tons of junk, you are over your Macros every day as well. What is your exercise routine? Plus, unless ypu 7500 calories OVER ypur maintenence levels you didnt gain fat.

This person is smart. When you increase your calories, your body will gain at first Because it doesn't know what's happening. Give it more time- I'm no expert, but id say about 4-5 weeks
  • bonniejo
    Options
    I don't know what "tons of junk" you're talking about. I had quinoa and vegetables with a few potstickers for dinner yesterday, a protein shake with fruit pancakes for lunch (mostly banana) and some air popped popcorn at night. I also had a tablespoon of m&m's as a treat. I really don't see tons of junk. Would my day have been better without the potstickers and m&m's? Yes, but that puts me about 400 cals below my goal which is what I was doing before.

Also, there are some things where the sodium count is off, like the mock tuna salad. I took a pre-logged version on here, but I know that the sodium count isn't the same for that one as with mine, but everything else was the same so I went with it.

I'm over on iron, fiber, protein almost everyday though. I didn't think that was a big deal, is it?

I run everyday with handweights. Sometimes I do HIITs or an hour of turbofire, and sometimes I do weightlifting.

I mostly just wanted to make sure this is normal. I'm really tempted to go back to what I was doing, but I'll stick with it :/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You eat more carbs in a day than I do, and I eat 3000 calories. Since increasing your carbs increases glycogen storage, it will add water weight. When you up your calories, you should up your protein more. Look to set you ratios of 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. That should help regulate. But on 1600 calories a day, I can tell you, you are not gaining fat.
  • bonniejo
    Options
    You eat more carbs in a day than I do, and I eat 3000 calories. Since increasing your carbs increases glycogen storage, it will add water weight. When you up your calories, you should up your protein more. Look to set you ratios of 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. That should help regulate. But on 1600 calories a day, I can tell you, you are not gaining fat.

What would you suggest that isn't meat or eggs to help me do that? I'm a vegetarian, and eggs make me feel gross when I eat them. I've been trying to up my protein and decrease carbs, but it isn't working very well :(
  • chrisb75
    Options
    I don't know what "tons of junk" you're talking about. I had quinoa and vegetables with a few potstickers for dinner yesterday, a protein shake with fruit pancakes for lunch (mostly banana) and some air popped popcorn at night. I also had a tablespoon of m&m's as a treat. I really don't see tons of junk. Would my day have been better without the potstickers and m&m's? Yes, but that puts me about 400 cals below my goal which is what I was doing before.

Also, there are some things where the sodium count is off, like the mock tuna salad. I took a pre-logged version on here, but I know that the sodium count isn't the same for that one as with mine, but everything else was the same so I went with it.

I'm over on iron, fiber, protein almost everyday though. I didn't think that was a big deal, is it?

I run everyday with handweights. Sometimes I do HIITs or an hour of turbofire, and sometimes I do weightlifting.

I mostly just wanted to make sure this is normal. I'm really tempted to go back to what I was doing, but I'll stick with it :/

I didnt mean to insult. I just saw a lot of icecream and things for snacks. Thats fine as long as its around 20% or less of your calories. When was the last time you had a rest day?
  • bonniejo
    Options

I didnt mean to insult. I just saw a lot of icecream and things for snacks. Thats fine as long as its around 20% or less of your calories. When was the last time you had a rest day?

I made that ice cream myself, I'm very proud :D Super yummy! I had a rest day on Saturday, so not too long ago. But I did a lot of walking at a festival thing. Does a rest day have to be 100% no activity? If so, then not in a few weeks.
  • chrisb75
    Options

I made that ice cream myself, I'm very proud :D Super yummy! I had a rest day on Saturday, so not too long ago. But I did a lot of walking at a festival thing. Does a rest day have to be 100% no activity? If so, then not in a few weeks.
    No, walking is fine. It just sounded like ypu were doing TONS of exercise. Are you hungry all the time?
  • bonniejo
    Options

No, walking is fine. It just sounded like ypu were doing TONS of exercise. Are you hungry all the time?

I was until I decided to eat all my calories. When I run it's only for about 30 minutes. I exercise everyday, but generally I don't burn more than 300-400 cals. I know this weight can't be fat, but the fact that I'm putting on inches is mostly what's freaking me out!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing solid food and measuring liquids? If not you are probably underestimating what you actually burned
    How are you calculating caloires burned? If you are not using a HRM you are probably over estimating your exercise calories (MFP and all machines tend to over estimate caloric burn)
  • chrisb75
    Options

I was until I decided to eat all my calories. When I run it's only for about 30 minutes. I exercise everyday, but generally I don't burn more than 300-400 cals. I know this weight can't be fat, but the fact that I'm putting on inches is mostly what's freaking me out!
    I would make sure your carbs are no more than 40% , 30 % protien and 30% fat. I would try to eat less processed food and a little better snacks. Try to get ypur macros (carbs, fat, protien) inline and give it time. You need 4-6 weeks to let ypur body adjust. Where are ypur inches tat you gained at? Put the scale away for 30 days and measure once a week. Thats about all i have. :-)
  • slikfish
    slikfish Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like you need to eat a bigger breakfast, and much less dinner. I would lower my calorie intake to less than 1500 per day.
  • mr_rat
    mr_rat Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I think saying that you are eating a tone of junk is a bit harsh. I don't think you are eating junk. I think you are just eating alot. Maybe try cutting out the night time snack. or just eat fruit for that snack. it seem you have the same problem I do. The last meal of the day seems to be your largest. It should be your smallest. I have this same issue :) Maybe try having a salad at night, I need to practice what i preach. the food you eat for the most part seems fine, and eating more does not really mean quantity but more like frequency.
  • chrisb75
    Options
    Looks to me like you need to eat a bigger breakfast, and much less dinner. I would lower my calorie intake to less than 1500 per day.

Really bad advice. Especially with her activity level. Her bmr is probably higher than 1500.
  • mr_rat
    mr_rat Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I think saying that you are eating a tone of junk is a bit harsh. I don't think you are eating junk. I think you are just eating alot. Maybe try cutting out the night time snack. or just eat fruit for that snack. it seem you have the same problem I do. The last meal of the day seems to be your largest. It should be your smallest. I have this same issue :) Maybe try having a salad at night, I need to practice what i preach. the food you eat for the most part seems fine, and eating more does not really mean quantity but more like frequency.

Just FYI since i've started my diet and exercising seriously..i've gained 5lbs.. so just keep at it