Traveling and Fast Food

Options
13»

Replies

• Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Packing a cooler is the best option, because you control what goes in it.

If you don't have time for that or it's otherwise not possible for you, Subway can be a good choice. BUT - be aware that they have a number of unhealthy sandwiches too, so choose wisely. Also, I've noticed that a LOT of their stuff is high in sodium, in case that's something you're also watching.
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo from any place is USUALLY ok. Chick fil a is my fav and is only 290 calories
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I'd pack a cooler with snacks and drinks and avoid the fast food.

I would do this, if you feel you might go outta control doing random unplanned take-out. Or you could check a couple places on the net and get cal info on them ahead of time. I personally know the places I like and exactly what to get...being Tim Horton's chili (throw out the bun if I have to) or their strawberry yogurt if i'm just looking for a snack....and Swiss Chalet fish n chips with baked potato,if i'm looking for a meal. I can always find one of these places wherever I go....usually.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If I absolutely have to have fast food b/c of circumstance (lack of planning etc) I always go for a large Wendy's chili. High sodium, but delicious and filling... and only around 300 calories without cheese and crackers.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I did a cross-country road trip a couple of months ago for a total of 4 days on the road and managed to stay within calorie goals with 5-6 meals a day. I agree that you should definitely pack a cooler! Lunch meat, lite string cheese, fruits all will travel well. At the fast food places, always get grilled chicken, NOT breaded, no burgers. Whether it's in a wrap or a bun, the calories will still be manageable if it's grilled. And definitely look up and log whatever you're going to eat beforehand so you don't get an unexpected surprise and feel like you've "ruined it".

A combination of snacks from your cooler and something hot from the restaurant should keep you filled up. Like a Taco Bell, you can get a couple of chicken soft tacos and then eat an apple from your cooler to feel satisfied. If you want to lose weight badly enough, this won't seem like an inconvenience at all.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead - do you know the route and ideas of whats along the way? look up and know what fits in your macros and eat it!

This!

I just did a two day trip. I was over 150 cal one day and 75 another and I ate good. :D