Going to give up this time. Seriously.

incircles_lp2
incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Been working out with circuit training (Chalean), running, bicycling, etc. for 5 weeks now. Have not lost any weight or inches from my body. I burn about 600 calories on average/day from exercise alone and I eat my exercise calories!

I eat well and don't go over my calories very often. I am eating about 1700 calories on average per day. I am 24 years old and i have the metabolism of a 60 year old person! I don't understand what is wrong with me.

I am going to give up unless someone else has a better idea. i have no motivation at this point!

Please help!

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Been working out with circuit training (Chalean), running, bicycling, etc. for 5 weeks now. Have not lost any weight or inches from my body. I burn about 600 calories on average/day from exercise alone and I eat my exercise calories!

I eat well and don't go over my calories very often. I am eating about 1700 calories on average per day. I am 24 years old and i have the metabolism of a 60 year old person! I don't understand what is wrong with me.

I am going to give up unless someone else has a better idea. i have no motivation at this point!

Please help!

Can u give us an idea of how tall you are and how much u weigh, want to loose?

Kim
  • thyroid.
    thyroid.
    thyroid.

before you start any workout program, you should have your blood work done along with a whole physical.

i started without doing that. worked my butt off for a year...and only lost 20 lbs.
    and THEN i found out i was hypothyroid.
  • incircles_lp2
    I am 5 foot 5" and 164 lbs. I have a very heavy build naturally, but I can't budge this weight at all! I should be closer to 130lbs. The skinniest I have ever been is 137lbs.
  • incircles_lp2
    Had a physical earlier this year. They checked my thyroid and blood triglycerides . I am the most normal I could possibly be
  • from what im told you don't need to eat your exercise calories, i didn't hear this from a dietitian but someone i know that sees one told me this.
  • carriedkline
    carriedkline Posts: 19 Member
    And be honest with yourself about calories, they will sabotage weight loss. If you are exercising, try to stay at like 1500 calories a day regardless of your activity level.
    DON'T GIVE UP...just keep trying, you will find something that works but you have to give it time!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I am 5 foot 5" and 164 lbs. I have a very heavy build naturally, but I can't budge this weight at all! I should be closer to 130lbs. The skinniest I have ever been is 137lbs.

I'm 5'4'', 167lbs and the lightest I've ever been is 138lbs!

What are you eating? I will fess up and say I eat crap. Processed foods, packaged garbage. I have been told this is part of my problem, that diet is 80% of weight loss.

I wasn't losing any weight eating a base of 1200 cals plus exercise.
    I have started back to losing weight eating 1400 cals plus exercise.
  • cyndeebee
    cyndeebee Posts: 249 Member
    I agree 100% - Get to the doctor, and it would help a lot if you showed him your meal plans, exercise programs, etc.

But if you check out fine, my suggestion is to try changing one little thing at a time. For example, drop your caloric intake by 100 per day. Or pay strict attention to your sodium intake, carbs, etc.

The one thing you should never do is give up on yourself. What have you got to lose?
    You lose a lot, if you quit. Self-esteem, good health, the awareness that you can chart your own life...
    You eventually lose WEIGHT, and develop a healthy lifestyle, if you persist.

You're worth it, aren't you?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Try eating 2000-2200 calories and see what happens. What have you got to lose except eating more food? I know it's counterintuitive but if you have a muscular build already (I do also) eating more can do the trick.
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    I wish I could help you. There are only a couple of things that I can think of. One is that 5 weeks isn't very long, really. I know when I first started working out, I wasn't losing pounds at all for about 5 or 6 weeks. The inches were coming off, though. Also, maybe evaluate your diet. Are you writing down everything you eat? Are you really eating the right foods?

Either way, please don't give up! You are getting healthier and that is so important!! Keep at it...I really can't imagine that you won't see any physical changes soon. Aren't you feeling any better?? I know that since I've started eating well and getting exercise, I feel great. It's not ALL about the inches and pounds, but I know how frustrating it can be! Stick with it!!
  • I am also 5'4 my lowest (when I was 15) was 134
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    We all understand your frustration.... or we wouldn't bother posting to try to help.

Obviously, what you're doing right now, as you say, isn't yielding the results you are looking for. So you wanna give up... ok.... is that going to solve it? Nope. Not at all.

Right now, this very second, you should be patting yourself on the back!! You have stuck with a diet and exercise regimen for weeks straight!!! :drinker: Do you know how many people don't even make it that far???!!!

Now, we know we're not seeing results, but that doesn't mean go to the opposite extreme of doing nothing. NOW is the time to start TWEAKING... making minor changes here and there, realizing and never letting that dream fade, until we start to see results. We can help you!! NO GIVING UP!!!

I can't give you too much tonight, but feel free to send me a message, and I will be happy to help you tweak this and see what we CAN do.... but only if you're committed and believe you CAN!!
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    work harder! if that's not the answer I dont know what is. Keep it up... dont expect miracles so quickly.

GIVING UP IS FOR LOSERS!!!
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    I agree....sounds like a thyroid problem....
  • I say give up if it makes you feel better. :smile:

That said... when I feel like throwing in the towel, I sit back and honestly ask myself that question:

"will I feel better?"

The answer is No, everytime. Even if that scale doesn't budge an inch for 6 months (and I know how you feel... cause I've been there), exercising and eating right feels better than not doing those things: sleep better, more energy, less self-pity after over-eating, etc.

So give up if it makes you feel better. Just be honest with yourself otherwise you will be back here in a month (or 3 months or 6 months) starting over... I'm sure a lot of others have been down that road too.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Thyroid isn't always the answer- She already said she was good to go-

Get your fat % taken-SCALE WEIGHT ISN'T EVERYTHING-

Gauge your success and progression by measuring tape and fat %-

When I say fat % go to a gym and get your fat pinched with calipers.

I am 5'4 1/2 I weigh 174 and I am 26% body fat- I am very muscular I just zeroed out my weight loss on here because i have a contest in 12 weeks. I would like to drop 20lbs of scale weight and 10% of my body fat taking me to 16% body fat- I am not trying to get smaller scale weight than 150 but rather decrease my fat % so that I look less than 150 and measure smaller as well.

Its all about weight training and cardio- Also eating right - What does your food consumption look like?
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    I'm back
    My hunch is you need to eat more or less.....sorry that the math isn't easier and their isn't a magis bullet answer
    I think you are either overestimating cals burned (from what I understand the machines aren't very accurate), and eating too much or just enough to maintain your current weight, and not loose or u aren't eating enough
    My thoughts are too play with your numbers for 2 weeks and see what happens....

I would also touch base with Mfinney (waves)
    He's a pretty smart knowledgeable guy and I am sure with all the right information will come up with a good game plan for you

Good luck :flowerforyou:
    Kim
This discussion has been closed.