food diaries

Options
I am very new to this (five days to be exact!) and I am already dreading grocery shpping this weekend. I am having trouble coming up with variety when it comes to cooking and eating. I dn't just have to cook for myself but also my husband and our children. We have committed to a lifestyle change as a family and I want to make sure I am eating the right things. Last week when we bought groceries we basically stuck to turkey and chicken breast (we don't like fish). We bought fresh fruits and vegetables but I found out very quickly that th fruit made my sugar count go in the negative. I am really srtuggling to make sure I get to at least 1200 calories. I would love it if someone checked out my food diary and gave me some suggesitons or let me look at theirs. Thanks :happy:

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Just wondering why you were so concerned with how much sugar? I mean you are WAY down on your calories. Unless there is a medical reason for watching the sugar, I wouldn't worry about that and just make sure that you are watching calories and possibly sodium. Fruit is good for you so I wouldn't worry about the sugar that comes from that. I don't recommend eating sugar for a snack,but you get what I mean. You can look at my diary if you want. It isn't by any means a great example but I try to eat less of what we normally make or I try now to "tweak" it a little so hubby doesn't realize that its lower in sodium or fat...hehe
  • mmbleb
    mmbleb Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks. I was just trying to watch my sugar because I was a huge soda drinker and chocolate eater and I definately do not want to consume too much again. My family has a history of diabetes and I just wanted to keep my eye on it. I have just been using the recommended amounts as my guidelines.
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was just trying to watch my sugar because I was a huge soda drinker and chocolate eater and I definately do not want to consume too much again. My family has a history of diabetes and I just wanted to keep my eye on it. I have just been using the recommended amounts as my guidelines.

The sugars in fruits isn't as bad as sugar from chocolate and soda...not the same sugars.
  • islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    My diary isn't perfect, but feel free to take a look!

We shop on a bit of a budget, so not much meat, but plenty of fish (I appreciate you say you don't eat this, but there are so many types! Can you get your family into a tuna mayo sandwich or something as a beginning?), lentils, chickpeas, eggs (frittata is your friend here - add veg and a bit of ham and you've got an entire meal in one pan), stew (cheap meat cuts with carrots and stock).

Menu planning will help you lots - just scribble down half a dozen healthy ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, and you're good to go. I recommend the Jillian Micahels books Master Your Metabolism and the accompanying cookbook - lots of family friendly meals that are REALLY healthy and pretty well balanced.
  • MonDeee
    MonDeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Something I find really helps me is to set out the menus on Saturday and go shopping on Sunday.
    I'll give you a couple of dinners for the week as an example. Pick one protein, one or two veg and one healthy carb, add seasoning or low fat sauces as needed for flavor.
    Monday Dinner : Chicken soft tacos, green salad with chilli lime dressing.
    Tuesday Dinner: Quinoa salad (quinoa, bell pepper, cukes) with grilled fillet
    Also, looking at your diary, I would recommend you boost your protein at breakfast. Just cereal will cause some crazy insulin spikes. Good luck and keep it simple!
  • pfarley68
    pfarley68 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You diet is not bad but truly I wouldn't make it a week eating the food you do. I would burn out quick. Don't be afraid of fruit, avoid processed sugars. Fruit has needed vitamins and nutrients for your health. Try some hot cereal for breakfast like oatmeal with dried fruit or a little brown sugar. Almond milk is low calorie and more calcium than regular milk. Look up some good healthy recipes. Check out a bunch of diaries to see how others are doing. Don't be afraid to eat the calories given to you. Check out the group Eat more, Weigh less. Take care. You can add me if you like.:smile:
  • mmbleb
    mmbleb Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The info you shared does help :)
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good Fat & Protein will keep you full longer
    Good breakfast that works for me
    Hard boiled Egg or low fat cottage cheese .
    You can make a egg white omlete with veggies, and devide it between breakfast and maybe snack
    Trader Joe's plain goat mik yogurt has only 7 carbs and 100 callories
    Greek yogurt is very good as well, just higher carbs and callories content.
    I have read somewhere that you are better off to add fresh fruits to plain yogurt then consuming already pre-mixed
    Good snack is a low fat laughing cow cheese ( I think 50 callories) per serving
    a few slices of avocade can be consumed with egg for breakfast
    Edamame beans are good for you
    Lean beef is great
    Hummus with carrots is great as a snack