What you eat makes a difference

Options
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/05/06/why-the-campaign-to-stop-america-s-obesity-crisis-keeps-failing.html

See the link above about how it does make a difference WHAT you eat, not just how much. This is what I finally discovered after YEARS of struggling to lose weight. I get frustrated on here when time and time again I see people saying the only thing that matters is calorie count - doesn't matter what you eat as long as you decrease your calories. Maybe for some of you that's all it takes, but if you are reducing calories and getting nowhere, read the article. I was so excited to see this article that says what I have been trying to convey for months.

Jean

Replies

• Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Great article. I'm hearing more and more of this kind of thing, and I know I personally do better when I limit the sugars and refined carbs.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    to your overall health, yes. to your weight, no. it's all input vs. output. people just go for "healthy" food b/c they are more likely to feel satiated on the volume that can be consumed and still sustain weight loss.

the laws of thermodynamics are real. that's why they're called laws.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    to your overall health, yes. to your weight, no. it's all input vs. output. people just go for "healthy" food b/c they are more likely to feel satiated on the volume that can be consumed and still sustain weight loss.

I'll bet my 54 pounds lost against your 18. I can eat 1200-1400 calories of what people consider a normal balanced diet that includes starches and gain weight. I eat 2000 calories of lean proteins, fruits, and veggies without consuming starches and processed foods and I lose. I am living proof that the "laws" don't apply to everyone.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

I'll bet my 54 pounds lost against your 18. I can eat 1200-1400 calories of what people consider a normal balanced diet that includes starches and gain weight. I eat 2000 calories of lean proteins, fruits, and veggies without consuming starches and processed foods and I lose. I am living proof that the "laws" don't apply to everyone.

I bet my 73 against your 54 that YOU are wrong.

How long of a time scale for gaining? I gain several pounds after a heavy carb meal, and will store it unil the next time I run, then I pee and sweat out all the water weight from the glycogen I burned, and am back to a little less weight to where I started.

If I didn't know what glycogen was an how it works, I'd cry after each time I ate lots of carbs. Fortuantely I'm educated on the matter, and to me more glycogen = running faster and lifting more. Glycogen isn't fat.

LOL @ Taubes, screaming into a bullhorn that "they" are all wrong.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think the hormonal theory of obesity is a bunch of hooey. I stopped reading the article part way through, because It looks like Gary Taubes' anti-carb hysteria dressed up in a different suit.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I think the hormonal theory of obesity is a bunch of hooey. I stopped reading the article part way through, because It looks like Gary Taubes' anti-carb hysteria dressed up in a different suit.

Well the article was writen by Gary Taubes.....
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    While I think there's certainly a place for all sorts of foods in our diets, what you eat does make a difference. Perhaps not in the amount of weight lost, but certainly teh quality of weight lost, and also the quality of health one will have. Refined sugars and carbs don't have a large place in our diets, health/weight wise, but Americans sure consume them at an alarming rate.

I personally eat a diet with 50% carbs, I just try to make sure they're decently healthy ones. Once that won't leave me crashing an hour later. (think 200 calorie donut vs. 200 cals of steel cut oats for breakfast).

Also, as far as hormones go, I'm living proof that regardless of calorie content and watching diet and working out, if you're hormones are out of whack, it can certainly keep you from losing weight, and if you're trying to maintain can cause actual weight gain. So there is some science behind obesity and hormonal issues. (like pcos for example.)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I saw "Gary Tubes" and decided not to read it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Man, Tuabes has been getting too much pub around here the last few days! What's up with that!!??
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options

I bet my 73 against your 54 that YOU are wrong.

How long of a time scale for gaining? I gain several pounds after a heavy carb meal, and will store it unil the next time I run, then I pee and sweat out all the water weight from the glycogen I burned, and am back to a little less weight to where I started.

If I didn't know what glycogen was an how it works, I'd cry after each time I ate lots of carbs. Fortuantely I'm educated on the matter, and to me more glycogen = running faster and lifting more. Glycogen isn't fat.

LOL @ Taubes, screaming into a bullhorn that "they" are all wrong.

I've lost a total of 87 pounds from my high weight eating ~1800 calories, including lots of carbs. I have eaten lower carb many times throughout the journey and never noticed a difference in rate of actual fat loss. Water weight, yes, but like the person above says, glycogen isn't fat! I definitely think Taubes is right that too many refined carbs aren't good for your health, but weight loss is about simple calories in vs. calories out for most people.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am not suggesting everyone should give up cabs. For MOST people it works to eat them. But for those who struggle to lose no matter how hard you work on it, like I did for YEARS, you might want to try cutting back on starches and processed foods. I am not saying carbs are all bad - I eat plenty of carbs in my veggies and fruits. I have an intolerance to gluten - I just can't eat it. I wish I could. Others may have the same issues. I am suggesting that people look at what they eat and see if eliminating certain food groups helps.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Well the article was writen by Gary Taubes.....

Seems to fit. His name is typically attached to nonsense.
    Edit: Not an attack on you, OP, as you're just sharing the information. Taubes is an alarmist that makes conclusions based on a cherry-picked set of studies that ignore a larger body of research that tells a different tale.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I saw Gary Taubes.....and then I lol'd.