Losing weight to get Preggo :)

Options
denisian
denisian Posts: 4 Member
Hi Ladies ! I'm new here and I have a goal to lose 16 lbs in preparation to get preggo. I'm just borderline overweight, but I don't want to have to lose any extra baby weight post-pregnancy that I can avoid now. My husband and I haven't started trying to have a baby (we were thinking next year), but I would like to spend 3-4 months getting thin and start good food habits before trying to grow a baby.

Anyone else out there in the same or similar boat?

Replies

• mmessamo
    mmessamo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When my mom was pregnant with my younger brother she was over weight and had to be placed on a very restrictive diet in order to not put her health and my brothers at risk. Good luck with this and hopefully congrats on a new bundle of joy soon!
  • CandiceSizemore
    CandiceSizemore Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh me me me!!! My husband and I getting ready to start trying soon too and im trying to get fit before hand so that the extra baby weight isnt horrible to try and get off!!
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight for my health and to get preggo! I am 100lbs overweight so I want to be at a healthy BMI before we start trying so there are less complications.
  • riverab1
    riverab1 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am too! Had to take fertitlity drugs to get pregnant with my first, which also resulted in 60 extra lbs on top of the 20 extra I was already carrying. lol I need to lose some serious weight before we start trying at the end of this year. Good luck to you!
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm in a relationship with my bf & have been for going on 3 years.... I'm hoping that we will have a baby in the next year so I too am trying to get a bit healthier before that time!
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Me!!!! My husband and I have been trying for 3 years with no luck. I am hoping by shedding some pounds our chances will increase.
  • denisian
    Options
    Wow! So many ladies are in the same boat! How encouraging.:flowerforyou:

I plan on doing some additional research on good pregnancy nutrition, for when the time comes so I will be totally prepared. I'm curious about "how much weight" is the right amount. What foods to avoid, what foods to eat. Also, when do you start adding calories to your diet? As soon as you know you are preggo 2nd trimester or 3rd? If anyone has great resources on this topic -- let me know!

Blessings,

Denise

22449746.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Same here! Wish I only had that amount to lose before trying :)
    My sister is pregnant right now and the doc told her the typical amount a woman should increase her calories by is only 200-250, none of that "eating for 2 stuff" lol. My sister gained like 12lbs in 3wks so he told her to slow it down. She's tiny and needed to gain weight anyways, but I was surprised to hear the calorie increase is that low
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Oh -- and he told her to avoid things like mayonaise and eggs (unless hard boiled so you're sure they're sufficiently cooked), but that ceasar dressing made with anchovies is okay. So, you might read some crazy food things haha
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Me too. I have a goal weight of about 25 lbs, but anything over 15 will be good. My doc actually told me that as long as your bmi is within range it's not a big issue, other than it might make me feel better to be thinner. So, I'm going for it too!
  • Mar1l1ze
    Mar1l1ze Posts: 16
    Options
    Me!!! We're also going to try next year and I have about 30 pounds to go to. It's great to see so many of us going for the same thing :)

What about starting a group where we can all chat about it and help / encourage each other?
  • denisian
    Options
    What a great suggestion ! I created a group called "Losing to get Preggo" please come join!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I just friended you! One of my big reasons for joining MFP is to be healthy when it's time to start trying for a little one. We are thinking early next year we will start trying, so I want to be at a healthy weight before then. My family has the bad habit of blowing up loike a balloon when they're knocked up and I want to try to avoid that. lol
  • mcwhit
    mcwhit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's a great goal!! And I can relate. A combination of fertility meds and two pregnancies (that ended in miscarriages), left me 25 pounds too heavy when I got pregnant with my son. And I gained too much with him. He's 15 months now and was totally worth it, but I'm not happy with my body.....

I've like to get off another 20 pounds before I try to get pregnant with my second child (HOPEFULLY). I don't want to be that heavy this time around while pregnant.

Would love some like-minded friends!
  • mcwhit
    mcwhit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Can you add me to the group? (losing weight to get preggo) - I don't know how to add myself. Thanks! (mcwhit)
  • lowry12
    lowry12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    im with you guys im loosing wait to help getting preg easier i lost 30lbs last time and got preg so im trying for the same results this time
  • stacyfoo
    stacyfoo Posts: 47
    Options
    i started losing weight just to get healthy.. i'm very overweight and my husband and i haven't had any luck getting pregnant. i joined MFP and lost 10 pounds.. THEN found out i was pregnant! i've lost 3 - 4 more pounds since then. I'm currently 15 weeks and still losing! My doctor said he didn't want me to gain anything, and as long as i lose at a slow pace, everything should be fine :) Good luck to all you women who are losing to get pregnant! <3
  • Andrea_Alexis_1980
    Andrea_Alexis_1980 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Im trying to lose 50 lbs before its my turn on the waiting list for IVF .. I have around 1 year i know i can do it cause last year i lost 45lbs but gained alot back .... Im down 5 lbs in 2 weeks so 45 to go .. Its hard work but well worth it in the end good luck girls
  • Rashyda
    Rashyda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies ! I'm new here and I have a goal to lose 16 lbs in preparation to get preggo. I'm just borderline overweight, but I don't want to have to lose any extra baby weight post-pregnancy that I can avoid now. My husband and I haven't started trying to have a baby (we were thinking next year), but I would like to spend 3-4 months getting thin and start good food habits before trying to grow a baby.

Anyone else out there in the same or similar boat?
    Denise
    you are so right about thinking about your health and being considerate of the baby u bring in this world. I lost 20 pounds before i decided to have my second one but despite me eating right and walking i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes in my 7th month.
    it was very difficult from that point onward. But sometimes u just dont have control over everything. maybe i waited too long or it was my age which brought this.
    so dont try to fight with nature. eating right with the baby and gaining less weight eventually will be the key.
    Good luck.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    HI!!!

I'd like to lose 15-20 by the time we start trying, probably in September. Plus, I'm hoping by then good eating habits are just so engrained in my brain that it'll be easy through pregnancy!