Struggling to Understand Race Pace

Options
2»

Replies

• athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I'm a new runner. I've completed Hal Higdon's 5k Novice training program. I'm moving onto his novice training program. Every other week one of my runs will be at race pace. I'm struggling to understand this concept. So this is supposed to be faster than my usual runs from my understanding and the pace I plan to run the half marathon at? If I'm used to doing my long runs at a slower pace and attempt my half at a race pace that is faster than that, won't I wear myself out by going too fast and be unable to finish? I think I just need a bit of help in wrapping my brain around this concept. Thank you!

Race pace will be faster than normal training pace, however, I have a problem with what you are being asked to do here and the reason being is that when training on your own, it is very different from a race whereby you will "dragged" along, if you like, at the beginning of the race and the sheer adrenalin and other competitors around you will cause you to run faster than you do in normal training.

I wish I could help you with this, but in all my years of running, both racing and training (outside and also inside on the treadmill), I have never run at race-pace during any training sessions.

I am curious now as to other people's opinions on your question.

I have 2 days per week in my current plan where I run at one race pace or another. I change that up if I have a race that weekend.

The original plan this week was 3X1600m at 5k race pace on Tuesday, which I did. The other race pace workout was 5 miles at half marathon pace today, which I did not do because I have a race Saturday.