On Crutches.....

leighoconnell
leighoconnell Posts: 217
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
So I am having surgery done on my foot at the end of the month and will be in a NWB cast for 6 weeks!! Bring on the crutches....Has anyone else been on crutches for that amount of time? What were your results? Did you loose weight from the excerise? Did it tone your arm muscles? I've always had flabby arms so I am hoping it helps me out there....

Replies

• lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    I haven't personally been on crutches, but my 9 year old son has been on crutches for 2 weeks, and has to be on them another 2 weeks, and he says that his arms get tired and are sore from using the crutches so much. He just told me that he feels that he is getting more muscles in his arms, so hopefully the same thing will happen to you. I don't know if that helped any, but hopefully your arms will get a good work out. :smile:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    How big is the cast? That can make a difference, imo.

I walked with crutches (arm band and 'regular' style) for about a year. It gets old quickly lol.

For comfort make sure your crutches are fitted to you properly. Don't go by the 'height' markings on the side- adjust them to where they work for you. Also take the pads off the shoulders- after a while they rub you raw and hurt. If you want, carry them with you in case you need to lean on the crutches- but honestly the padding is so weak that it didn't do anything for me.

I didn't end up with toned arms- just sore ribs until I took the pads off. Weight lifting can help make walking with them a lot easier.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.