Loose stool? Fun time poop inquiry.

Options
In the past week, I've put a lot of focus into eating raw foods and/or just avoiding processed foods. It's been mostly vegan (though I have been a vegetarian for 8+ years.) And my stool has only been loose since I made this change. Is this healthy? Or should something be changed about my diet?

I really just don't know. Info/advice appreciated!

Replies

• ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    No one? I am embarrassed for my ignored stool-post.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Sorry, my posts get ignored too. I can't help you though. I have the opposite problem.
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    I'm sorry I really can't help but I felt like commenting so you wouldn't be embarrassed. No reason to be:flowerforyou:
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    More fiber can help with that. Soaks up the water that's making the stool loose.
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've heard white rice, toasted white bread and bananas can help regulate your digestive system. Also, make sure you drink plenty water so you're not dehydrating due to you loose stools.

If it persist maybe see a doctor, just in case you have a low tolerance to some of the things you're eating.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Sorry Paris didn't see you post this. Your new diet probably has more water and fibre in = pooptastic :) Anyway, looser stools are less hassle right? (loooool).

I'd imagine it's pretty normal tbh, but if you keep having problems or you're in pain you should probably see a doctor.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    How much fiber are you getting? When I started upping my fiber per my Dr's orders, I had loose stool. I was also not used to eating so much fruit and veggies. My body has gotten used to it now, though. Do you have any other kind of symptoms? ie, headaches, trouble concentrating, tired? If not, it might just be your body getting used to the new foods :)

Hope this helps! Loose poop sucks. lol
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i wish I could help! I am actually going through some really painful stuff with my bum right now. I think it's because I changed my diet (I thought for the good). Maybe try some foods with Iron??

Don't be embarrassed. We are all human!
  • missyiscrabby
    Options
    Sometimes a high fiber diet can give diarrhea. Isn't it a cure for constipation? Sometimes cooking vegetables slightly can make them more digestible.
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yeah, take it from a very old off and on vegetarian - your body just wants to adjust. Keep up the good work, add a little rice, don't stop drinking your water or eating lots of veggies. It's just an adjustment.
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I think Im eating at my most raw/healthiest etc I have a similar problem. Even though I eat high fibre. I think its cos I drink so much water somedays, I suppose you should see if it continues it could just take your body a while to adjust. On another embarassing note.. my gas only seems to smell bad when Im eating a lot of vegetables (which I thought didnt make much sense as when I ate chocolate and stuff a lot it never smelled :P) Sorry for the overshare haha
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your *soluble* fiber first since roughage can be hard on the digestive system.

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp
  • jeaninemckinney
    Options
    Well as for someone whos always been extremely irregular lol i do notice ofcourse tho when i eat more salads and fruit n veggie i go more often and regukar and sometimes is " loose" but i think it should work itself out as ur bodyngets used to the change! If u are worried enoug then i would go to the dr! Good luckmon your journey:blushing: r
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sorry, my posts get ignored too. I can't help you though. I have the opposite problem.

I'm with ^her^ mine comes out like little marbles and sink to the bottom... what's the deal with this? I drink plenty of water, eat clean foods. Actually, it ususally only happens this way when I'm eating clean. When I eat bad food it's usually better. Plus I'm constantly constipated, like ALL THE TIME..... I need help too...
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    Yayyy, lots of posts nows! Haha.

I am eating a good amount of fruits & veggies. I have no idea if I'm getting enough fiber, or if I have too much.

I don't think I've been having other side effects. I have had trouble concentrating, but I always have trouble concentrating, haha.No pains or headaches, though.

I'll try out some of the recommendations I'm getting here and see if I can find my own fix.

Thanks all!
  • jenbunboo
    jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My understanding is actually that protein = hard poop, fiber = loose.

I'm a vegan and everything was working great until I started upping my protein. I've added protein powder to my shakes in the morning, and make sure to get about 20-25% of my calories from protein. I was still pretty high fiber, but things just...slowed down. I was feeling...umm...full...and was kinda constipated. For the last two days I've bumped my fiber even higher (about 50g on 1600 calories).

So, while my problem was the opposite of yours, with eating high raw I'm imaging it is basically a correlation. Make sure you're keeping your protein up, and things should even out.
  • kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love a good poop inquiry!

I know that whenever someone goes on a cleanse it's typical to experience loose stool, sweating, and various other symptoms that show that you're body is in a procress of flushing things out. It sounds to me like since you're eating super clean, and have only been doing so for a week, that's all this is. I'd say wait it out - in another 1-2 weeks your poop should be more...firm? (isn't poop talk fun?) and you'll feel great!

On the other hand, if it's making you uncomfortable or seems excessive I'd start by increasing your grain intake - just small servings of whole grains like quinoa. Or if you're okay with taking supplements, you could take Iron since a common side affect to iron supplements is constipation, it might help you find a happy medium! Not to mention with your diet you might even need an iron boost.

Whatever you feel comfortable with! It's your body after all :D
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Never be embarrassed about your stool. Embrace your poop.

My old buddy posted some great info a while back: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/397439-what-about-bowel-movements
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This is a common problem all over the world. No need to be embarrassed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-4WbjV1Jmo
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've heard white rice, toasted white bread and bananas can help regulate your digestive system. .

Yep, that's the B.R.A.T diet (a natural way to relieve diarrhea) - Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast.