Anyone else feel as if they're tummy will never tighten??

MissesOfficer
MissesOfficer Posts: 368
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I have lost 50 pounds, and yes my tummy is smaller, but I feel that at the weight I am at compared to others, my belly is very large! It is my most hated body part, and it doesn't seem to want to leave me. I also have some excess skin around my tummy too. Anyone else experience this weight loss but stubborn tummy?? It is really frustrating :sad:

*** I just realized that they're should be their in the title of this, sorry!! ***

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Yeah. I have yo-yo dieted half of my life, and from all the losses and re-gaining, I look awful in my tummy area. Don't think it will ever go away...:grumble:
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I have a consultation with a plastic surgeon because I have huge mass amounts of excess skin around my stomach. When doctors look at me they always ask how many kids i've had! I've been told over and over on MFP that I'm young and just need to exercise, but I exercise like a mad lady & have seen results, but I think my stomach is just a result of being overweight my whole life and losing the elasticity. Just keep up with the exercise & eating right & see where you are once you reach a weight you're comfortable with :flowerforyou:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I have a consultation with a plastic surgeon because I have huge mass amounts of excess skin around my stomach. When doctors look at me they always ask how many kids i've had! I've been told over and over on MFP that I'm young and just need to exercise, but I exercise like a mad lady & have seen results, but I think my stomach is just a result of being overweight my whole life and losing the elasticity. Just keep up with the exercise & eating right & see where you are once you reach a weight you're comfortable with :flowerforyou:
    I've been thinking about that as well, because I am in my mid 30's. But I want to see what I look like at goal weight and if I can tighten up first.
  • I hear a lot that I'm young and it will tighten... I really hope it does... its not like hanging skin but you can see some little pouches of skin... blah... i want a flat tummy :(
  • I hear a lot that I'm young and it will tighten... I really hope it does... its not like hanging skin but you can see some little pouches of skin... blah... i want a flat tummy :(
  • CoachJimmy
    CoachJimmy Posts: 15
    I just went thru this as well-- after losing 80 pounds-- it is possible to tighten your skin - but you REALLY have to be dialed in on your nutrition. It took me totally eliminating sugar for 6 weeks- and really watching my carb intake. (mostly just from oatmeal and sweet potatos-- 2 days w Carbs-- 2 days no carbs)

If you want more info- about what I did both food and workout wise give me a shout.

jimmynelson at me dot com
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    from what i've heard, you will lose your tummy with the last 5-10 pounds. it tends to be the VERY LAST thing to go.

best of luck to you
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Yep, I definitely feel that way. Right now, I'm concentrating more on tightening the spot between my chest and lower abs. I know I will never lose the lower abs completely, because I always HAD a bit there, even when I was underweight as a teen, but I do want to try to flatten as much as possible. It's driving me batty!
  • ilmommkc
    ilmommkc Posts: 73
    I have the belly too :( I have lost 40lbs and have lost tons of inches but I am FAR from tight and trim. I really need to start targeting my mid-section. I am only 27, but had 3 kids between 2003 and 2007, so we shall see.
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    I have the belly too :( I have lost 40lbs and have lost tons of inches but I am FAR from tight and trim. I really need to start targeting my mid-section. I am only 27, but had 3 kids between 2003 and 2007, so we shall see.

That's my issue to. Even though I don't have much weight to loose, my tummy is my worst part. After having my son last year it just hangs. Ick!:frown:
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    I've had 3 c-sections and you know what really helps the flabby skin/fat that hangs? It's skin-brushing. with a vegetable brush. You can buy them for 10 bucks at www.betterbodybasics.com. it is a great site for many reasons.
    I find that when I brush morning and night (and I really only do my belly because it's the worst thing on me) it makes a big difference in tightening up the skin!!!

Cindy :heart:
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Yes. All the time!
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Yes. All the time!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    I have lost 50 pounds, and yes my tummy is smaller, but I feel that at the weight I am at compared to others, my belly is very large! It is my most hated body part, and it doesn't seem to want to leave me. I also have some excess skin around my tummy too. Anyone else experience this weight loss but stubborn tummy?? It is really frustrating :sad:

*** I just realized that they're should be their in the title of this, sorry!! ***

You have to give your skin time to adjust and tighten and firm back up..............

Moisturizing your skin will help (have to do it from the inside out)

Are you eating enough fat? That will help with elasticity and firming of the skin, helps with the moisturization from the inside....

Are you drinking enough water? That helps with skin issues too...........

I cook, eat and moisturize with Extra Virgin, Expeller pressed coconut oil..............my skin is firming up as I am losing. Coconut oil is next to olive oil as one of the healthiest fats to consume.

I also drink a lot of water.........

I use coconut oil to cook with, put it in my coffee and moisturize my skin with it when I get out of the shower..................
  • LeanLioness
    I've had 3 c-sections and you know what really helps the flabby skin/fat that hangs? It's skin-brushing. with a vegetable brush. You can buy them for 10 bucks at www.betterbodybasics.com. it is a great site for many reasons.
    I find that when I brush morning and night (and I really only do my belly because it's the worst thing on me) it makes a big difference in tightening up the skin!!!

I usually don't mention that I dry brush because people think I am crazy!!!! But it really works.

I dry brush also.................I don't use a vegetable brush, I got an all natural bristle brush with a long handle, start at my face and work down in circlular motion................

Helps with circulation also...............after dry brushing take a shower and then I slather coconut oil all over my body.

It has been a very marked improvement for me.
  • jbunzsno
    jbunzsno Posts: 54 Member

I usually don't mention that I dry brush because people think I am crazy!!!! But it really works.

I dry brush also.................I don't use a vegetable brush, I got an all natural bristle brush with a long handle, start at my face and work down in circlular motion................

Helps with circulation also...............after dry brushing take a shower and then I slather coconut oil all over my body.

I work at a Spa and we offer a dry brush treatment there too. So therefore it got me started on it...it is awesome. Just like LeanLioness I just have a natural bristle brush, but it helps to stimulate the skin and brings the blood to the skin (circulation) therefore bringing nutrients to it and since we are helping our body pump blood into the skin it is also going to help reduce the appearance of cellulite, it won't get rid of it, that takes Diet and excercise. It is also very energizing, I like to do it right before I workout, cause it gives me that extra umph! that I need and then I shower.
    Everyone is different, but I was trained when you are dry-brushing since you are stimulating the circulation it is best to start at the feet and work your way up and brush in an upward flicking motion toward the heart, that way you are pushing the blood to the heart so the heart can do it's job more efficiently and get that blood pushed back out to the limbs and organs.
    I had a baby over a year ago...and I got the stretch marks and saggy skin to show for it, it hasn't really done much for the stretch marks but it has helped reduce the sagginess, and the stretch marks are lighter, but I don't know if that is just from them healing over time or from the dry-brushing and vitamin E that I have been putting on.
    Hope this helps!

***dry-brushing rant over***:smile:
  • LeanLioness

I work at a Spa and we offer a dry brush treatment there too. So therefore it got me started on it...it is awesome. Just like LeanLioness I just have a natural bristle brush, but it helps to stimulate the skin and brings the blood to the skin (circulation) therefore bringing nutrients to it and since we are helping our body pump blood into the skin it is also going to help reduce the appearance of cellulite, it won't get rid of it, that takes Diet and excercise. It is also very energizing, I like to do it right before I workout, cause it gives me that extra umph! that I need and then I shower.
    Everyone is different, but I was trained when you are dry-brushing since you are stimulating the circulation it is best to start at the feet and work your way up and brush in an upward flicking motion toward the heart, that way you are pushing the blood to the heart so the heart can do it's job more efficiently and get that blood pushed back out to the limbs and organs.
    I had a baby over a year ago...and I got the stretch marks and saggy skin to show for it, it hasn't really done much for the stretch marks but it has helped reduce the sagginess, and the stretch marks are lighter, but I don't know if that is just from them healing over time or from the dry-brushing and vitamin E that I have been putting on.
    Hope this helps!

***dry-brushing rant over***:smile:

LOL@your rant..............I got trained at a spa too when I was getting body wraps done............

They told me to start at the top and work to the heart, then go to the feet and work my way up the heart..........circular motions toward the heart............
  • jbunzsno
    jbunzsno Posts: 54 Member
    I don't think there is any wrong way to do it as long as you are alway going towards the heart with your circular motions or flicking motions. Sorry if it seemed like I was correcting you I hope it didn't come across that way, I was just trying to point out that you wanted to go towards the heart to help the circulation.
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    I am young so think that I won't have saggy tummy issues. My issue is that the fat itself won't go away! It is the way my body stores fat, pretty much all in my belly lol. I think one of the reasons is that I have a small amount of native heritage, and a common attribute of that body type is storing a lot of excess fat in the midsection. Just like a twinkie they say, soft in the middle lol. oh well I'll keep working. :drinker:
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    after dry brushing, rubbing in coconut oil seems to improve things also...

Cindy
This discussion has been closed.