I can't control my eating.

Options
I have always been a binge eater, for as long as I can remember. I don't even notice what I'm eating, I just pile it in and don't always realise I'm eating or have eaten. I don't feel satisfied or full and don't stop eating until everything is gone. I rarely eat proper, nutritious (is that spelt right???) food. I mostly eat chocolate, crisps and anything containing cheese and onion. Washed down with diet Coke. I've tried shopping weekly and daily, and nothing helps. I simply go and get the foods I want to eat while letting the good food in the kitchen go to waste. I'ts not like I have money to burn like this either!!!

I don't know how to stop eating and I wondered if anyone else has this problem too, whether you've learnt to overcome it or are still struggling with it, I would like to hear from you!

Replies

• Kylieikerd
    Kylieikerd Posts: 82
    Options
    If you don't want this, you won't do this. End of the story. We all love food. That is why we are here. But if you want it bad enough you will take responsbility of what you consume.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You say you simply go and get the foods you want. What's going through you're head while you're doing that?
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Research your food, understand what you are putting in your mouth and what you need to be healthy.

I assume you get comfort/satisfaction from eating junk. You have to make the choice what you want more that comfort/satisfaction or the comfort/satisfaction of knowing that you are improving your health and will be able to do so much more.

It takes effort and dedication but it will be worth it.
  • luluwubu
    luluwubu Posts: 14
    Options
    What's going through my head is a pig headed greed of wanting what I want. Nothing else matters except getting hold of that food. Feels like a drug, but I know that's being melodramatic.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Ok, in what scenarios were you able to overcome the urge?
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    ONLY You can control what you put in your mouth. You have to be accountable to yourself. You know what you have to do, we don't need to tell you. When YOU are ready to giv this your best, you'll be able to stop the poor eating habits. It takes time. You'll make mistakes. But the next day is a fresh start.
  • luluwubu
    Options
    Research your food, understand what you are putting in your mouth and what you need to be healthy.

I assume you get comfort/satisfaction from eating junk. You have to make the choice what you want more that comfort/satisfaction or the comfort/satisfaction of knowing that you are improving your health and will be able to do so much more.

It takes effort and dedication but it will be worth it.

I see you've lost 113 pounds, congratulations!!!!

Do you know how you got fat? What did you ahve to change to lose the weight?
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    nutritious (is that spelt right???)

Yes, nutritious is spelled right :wink:

Do you have someone who could be a weight-loss buddy to hold you accountable? I find that I only binge if hubby isn't home. Something about him being there, I don't want to pig out in front of him. :ohwell: Is there anyone - parent, sister, roommate, hubby, BF, GF, etc. - who could help hold you accountable?
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Do what you can, if you can't control your eating start to exercise first, that might give you the umpf to make better food choices, slow but sure wins the race. You got this, if you truely want it!
  • LilJenn510
    LilJenn510 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also can't control myself with certain foods.. The solution I have found that works is.. Don't even get started! I do not eat White Flour or Sugar.. Once I eat anything with those I go into binge mode! Sugar is a drug (seriously, recent studies have proven this), so you need to treat it as such! Stay Away COMPLETELY from Sugar or Flour! Within a day or two you will feel much more in control! It's hard to say no to all the tempting treats, but once you have a few days without you will for sure feel more in control! Good Luck, and feel free to add me for support!
  • TallyNick
    TallyNick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just start logging into MFP. All of it. Once I went through the effort of logging and seeing the numbers it was a little easier to slow down. I think in my case binge eating had a conponent of denial to it. But if I had to log and look at the number of calories that were adding up, it helped alot.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need professional help to figure out why you're doing this. In all seriousness. What you are describing sounds like a mental issue. But, you know you're doing this so YOU can control it. Have you sought help before?
    You CAN do this!
    :smile:
  • luluwubu
    Options
    Ok, in what scenarios were you able to overcome the urge?

Only outside interferrence has stopped me getting the foods I've wanted. No cash. Shops closed. There's been times I've been too lazy to go but I've left the flat in the early hours of the morning and walked for miles alone to the nearest garage to get chocolate.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I can often be the same way.

Can you not keep the food in your house? I know if there's no junk in my house, I won't eat it because it's simply not there!

Track it!! Writing down what you eat is a quick and easy way to logically know what you're eating. It makes the connection! I didn't realize how much junk I was eating until I starting filling out my food diary!

Give yourself a break! This stuff is hard, if it was easy, we'd all be skinny! Try. Try again tomorrow. Try again the day after that. You'll get there! It's about changing behavior!
  • luluwubu
    Options
    Maybe you need professional help to figure out why you're doing this. In all seriousness. What you are describing sounds like a mental issue. But, you know you're doing this so YOU can control it. Have you sought help before?
    You CAN do this!
    :smile:

Admittedly I did suffer from eating disorders when I was young, before I got pregnant. It was getting pregnant that made me stop doing that **** and I knew I had to eat, but I never learnt to control the food.
  • mollyjaster
    Options
    I was the same way... until I started tracking every single ounce of food, soda, liquid ect that I put into my mouth! I was in SHOCK! The amount of calories I was consuming on a daily basis was insane-- and for what reason?! I wasn't getting anything from it-- no comfort, no weight loss (clearly), NOTHING! I just felt worse about myself.

You can't STOP doing that until you are truly ready to commit to changing! I wasn't ready for a long time, and that's okay. What's important is that you eventually get to a point of being ready. I now eat all the same things I used to, just in healther ways. I substitute greek yogurt for high-carlorie sour cream. Special K Cracker Chips for potato chips. Skinny Cow bars for Dairy Queen blizzards!

ONLY YOU CAN DO THIS....
  • SarahClaireB
    SarahClaireB Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yeah I know how you feel, when I am 'on the wagon' it doesnt seem to last for long until the cravings start, willpower goes out of the window and the eating crap starts, I can me as full as anything but I carry on and on....

The part of me that gets upset about my weight wants to loose the weight but then there is obviously another part of me that doesnt want to loose the weight or I wouldnt do it.

I dont know what has changed this time but I am hoping something has and I am hoping the people on here are going to help keep me on track.

Good luck and you are welcome to add me
  • upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Do you have someone who could be a weight-loss buddy to hold you accountable? I find that I only binge if hubby isn't home. Something about him being there, I don't want to pig out in front of him. :ohwell: Is there anyone - parent, sister, roommate, hubby, BF, GF, etc. - who could help hold you accountable?
    [/quote]

Same. I don't binge when my hubby is around and most of the times that I do, I am alone or have too much free time.

*edited because wanted to quote but didn't happen
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    For the most part I'm the same. I've gotten a LOT better since deciding to make this change though. I do have my moments though where it's not that I just want something, I >need< it, and even if I have to go to the store to get it at 10pm I'm going. Usually a few bites into whatever it is though I start feeling guilty. Sometimes I finish it, sometimes I don't.

It's a battle, and a fairly difficult one, but if you want it to stop, I know you can do it. Just work on small steps. Log everything, and see where you can maybe start making small changes. Instead of devouring that bag of chips, try sliced strawberries drizzled with a bit of chocolate, or instead of washing lunch down with diet coke, try a glass of flavored water. Don't try to change too much too fast. You'll just set yourself up for failure.

But again. If you want the change, you can make it happen.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    There's been times I've been too lazy to go but I've left the flat in the early hours of the morning and walked for miles alone to the nearest garage to get chocolate.

This made me giggle! I used to live right across the street from a pharmacy... They sold chocolate... and oreos... yeah, I'm glad I have moved! lol