Best HR Watches?!?

Options
mxburke
mxburke Posts: 226 Member
Hey ppl, just wondering if anybody has a heart rate watch, and what brand, or company you would recommend, from what you use. I have really wanted to buy one, but am not sure what watch brand to go with and what type works the best to determine your heart rate and the calories burned during exercise.....let me know! thanks!:happy:

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to have some of the best ones.
  • AfterBurner
    Options
    I just bought a reebok s-pulse watch. its good for what i need it for. I believe there are 2 types of watches... the type that constantly read off your HR, and the kind like i have that you need to press and hold a button for 4 seconds and it reads it. I would rather have the kind that consistently reads out my hr, but i didn't want to pay alot. This one works fine for me, but if anyone knows of any inexpensive strapless watches with a constant readout, i'd love a suggestion as well!
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Polar F4!!!! Just got mine. Did a ton of research and it's got pretty good reviews. It's worth it. Check it out.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and love it, bought it back in Feb, i just realized the other day wheni finally checked out their website that you can somehow dl your info from the HRM to the site, didn't have time to read about it though.
  • Das_Modell
    Das_Modell Posts: 167
    Options
    Polar F4!!!! Just got mine. Did a ton of research and it's got pretty good reviews. It's worth it. Check it out.

i found one of those on target's website. It's 89 for the F4 ($109 for the F6! :ohwell: )
  • AngelMacleod
    Options
    I have a Polar watch and love it! They have different kinds, just make sure you get the one for you. They have the basic HR one and others that are better tells you calories and all sorts of stuff.
    Good Luck
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    To add, I would recommend getting one that tells you your calories. This really helps me to push harder when working out. If I'm out for a walk and see that I've only burned 150 calories, I will go that little extra way. :wink:
  • Das_Modell
    Das_Modell Posts: 167
    Options
    i want one but i need to find one in store. i have no credit card so i can't buy online
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Reebok Precision XT HRM

Watchband, chest strap.
    Counts calories burned.

LOVE mine.
  • mxburke
    mxburke Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    one question to you guys, just wondering do these polar f4 and f6 have the chest strap or not? do you find the ones with the chest straps more accurate? oh and where did you all buy them? and what were the prices like? and if it does have a strap, do you find it bothers you while you are working out??
  • CandaceW
    CandaceW Posts: 73
    Options
    Reebok Precision XT HRM

Watchband, chest strap.
    Counts calories burned.

LOVE mine.

I have the same exact one, just branded Proform XT (reebok off brand from woot.com)...I LOVE it :heart: It works with the machines at the gym just like the polar, but it was half the price. I have worn mine all day and I really don't notice the chest strap. I have both types and I definately recommend one with the chest strap. It is more accurate, because it monitors your hear rate constantly and calculates your calories burned on that, not just the number when you touch the sensor (your heart rate can drop in the few seconds it takes for the sensor to read). By the way, you can check ebay for them...
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I just got my polar f6 today and so far I am really enjoying it. It does have the chest strap, but I honestly forgot it was there. My best suggestion is to go onto sites like ebay and read the user reviews and find one that is what you are looking for. I actually ended up getting my brand new one in packaging and everything for $75 on ebay, and it was about $109 in stores. Just look around and see what's out there and what fits your needs.
  • hammersshells
    Options
    I have been toying with the idea of getting a HR monitor/calorie burned monitor, too. I just did an hour of research, and the reviews are just to disappointing and inconsistent. It seems to me the technology is far from being perfected. I have decided to save my money and just stick to the tools provided by MFP. I know what I need to do to lose weight, and don't NEED to know every calorie that I put out during the day. I have had great success so far without knowing the exact numbers. So I will continue what I have been doing, and the weight will continue to disappear! :happy:
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    I bought a Polar F6 from Sportsauthority.com for $99 about 2 weeks ago ( decided to buy online b/c I wanted black & all they carry instore is pink) It gives a constant heart rate, duration (time ) & calories burned & comes with a chest strap. I also ordered the fancier chest strap from Amazon.com b/c I read that the ones that comes with it is uncomfortable, but I'm going to return it b/c the one that comes with it is totally comfortable. I actually wore it for 13 hrs last Friday while doing home repairs at my parents house & was shocked to learn that I'd burned 5,200 calories :) It also has a "diary" that stores the last week worth of exercise information & I've read the information can be downloaded to a computer but haven't gotten around to figuring out how to do that. BTW-I bought it b/c I read good reviews of Polar F4 & F6 on MFP.
  • lacieinthesky
    lacieinthesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Both the F4 and the F6 have chest straps. My mom has the F6 and I have the F4, and I actually like the F4 better, it's a lot more simple. The straps are really comfortable and I don't even notice them when I wear it. I absolutely LOVe that it counts my calories too!
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Stupid question- So with the HRMs can I start it at the begining of my work out and stop it at the end to get cal burned total?
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    One more thing, Did those of you with HRMs find you were burning more or less cals than you thought?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Stupid question- So with the HRMs can I start it at the begining of my work out and stop it at the end to get cal burned total?

With my Reebok - yes.
    Gives me total time, total cals burned, max and min HR, time "in HR zone" and some other jazz I never look at.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    One more thing, Did those of you with HRMs find you were burning more or less cals than you thought?

My HRM showed I burned.... (compared to what the machine was showing)

Elliptical - way less.
    Walking no incline - way less.
    Running - way more.
    Yoga - 'bout what I thought.
    Spin class - WOWZA, way more.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I got the Reebox one I still cant figure out how to work it.... anyone?