Important news about artificial sweeteners?

Options
I just stumbled across this article while surfing the Web, I think this is something important to think about. If you want to read the whole article here's the link - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23097135/

"Using an artificial, no-calorie sweetener rather than sugar may make it tougher, not easier, to lose weight, U.S. researchers said Sunday.

Scientists at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, studied rats that were fed food with the artificial sweetener saccharin and rats fed food with glucose, a natural sugar.

In comparison to rats given yogurt sweetened with glucose, those that ate yogurt sweetened with saccharin went on to consume more calories and put on more weight and body fat.

"The researchers said sweet foods may prompt the body to get ready to take in a lot of calories, but when sweetness in the form of artificial sweeteners is not followed by a large amount of calories, the body gets confused, which may lead to eating more or expending less energy than normal.

"The data clearly indicate that consuming a food sweetened with no-calorie saccharin can lead to greater body-weight gain and adiposity than would consuming the same food sweetened with high-calorie sugar," Purdue researchers Susan Swithers and Terry Davidson wrote in the journal Behavioral Neuroscience, published by the American Psychological Association.

"Such an outcome may seem counterintuitive, if not an anathema, to human clinical researchers and health care practitioners who have long recommended the use of low- and no-calorie sweeteners as a means of weight control."

There's more, but I just thought people should know.

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled across this article while surfing the Web, I think this is something important to think about. If you want to read the whole article here's the link - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23097135/

"Using an artificial, no-calorie sweetener rather than sugar may make it tougher, not easier, to lose weight, U.S. researchers said Sunday.

Scientists at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, studied rats that were fed food with the artificial sweetener saccharin and rats fed food with glucose, a natural sugar.

In comparison to rats given yogurt sweetened with glucose, those that ate yogurt sweetened with saccharin went on to consume more calories and put on more weight and body fat.

"The researchers said sweet foods may prompt the body to get ready to take in a lot of calories, but when sweetness in the form of artificial sweeteners is not followed by a large amount of calories, the body gets confused, which may lead to eating more or expending less energy than normal.

"The data clearly indicate that consuming a food sweetened with no-calorie saccharin can lead to greater body-weight gain and adiposity than would consuming the same food sweetened with high-calorie sugar," Purdue researchers Susan Swithers and Terry Davidson wrote in the journal Behavioral Neuroscience, published by the American Psychological Association.

"Such an outcome may seem counterintuitive, if not an anathema, to human clinical researchers and health care practitioners who have long recommended the use of low- and no-calorie sweeteners as a means of weight control."

There's more, but I just thought people should know.
  • yenna1977
    yenna1977 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my husband mentioned something about this today. He said he heard diet sodas may actually cause weight gain. Wow. I wonder what this means for the wide world of sugars and sugar subs?
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Thank you. That really is very informative and useful information.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    It could if you can't control the calories you're taking in. I read the blurb on it, and it's all about self-control. I posted in something similar that knowing how I am, even WW stuff isn't good for me. It may only be 1 point a cake for their stuff, but 1 cake won't be enough. I'd eat the whole package. So instead of buying stuff that I KNOW I will binge on, I try not to.

If I want a binge, though, I'll buy it, binge a bit, then throw the rest away so it's not in the house.

Artificial sugar or not, it's a mind-set. If you think it's lower calorie, you try to have more of it. So don't keep it around.

The only thing I keep around is fat free whipped topping (Redi-Whip - 5 cals for 2 tbsps), sugar free ice pops (10 cals per pair, I think) and sugar free gelatin (5-10 cal per serving depending on the brand). Those I can do a bit of binging on and it won't damage the diet.

The rest of the time, it's just fresh veg and fruit.