So... saggy skin?

Jd1360
Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
I'm 23 (almost 24) and have been overweight my whole life. From fat child to fat adult. I've never really lost more than 30 pounds before this time and I have the crippling fear of having saggy skin. I feel like cause I've never been thin, my skin won't know how to be thin (if that makes any freaking sense at all! Haha!)

My mom had weight loss surgery about 2 years ago and lost like 70 pounds in a matter of months. She's 65 now and of course has LOTS of saggy skin - which I find rather disgusting, thus intensifying the fear.

I am working out (granted much more lower body than upper body) and am not losing weight too fast or anything, but I guess my biggest question is, how will I know if that's happening? It will different or what? Any advice on avoiding it or etc, would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Hard to say... some people have lost 30 lbs and had saggy skin, some people 100 lbs and perfect skin. I wish I could help you out here, but you know what's worse than sagging skin? I used to be 340 lbs and, while I'm not as fat as I was back then, I'm still jolly. When will that go away?
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    At your age I wouldn't worry about it.

Gastric surgery patents often have loose skin due not having enough nutrients. Lots of vitamins are usually needed.

Make sure you drink plenty to keep hydrated and skin elasticity and even if some appears, it will eventually reduce more.

I have lost 160 pounds and loose skin is minimal and getting better all the time.
  • Jd1360
    Oh, THAT makes me feel a lot better right there. Haha!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    I have the same fear -- I'm 26 and have been thin like....never. I've been told if you hydrate (both your body and your skin) and do some toning, it all tightens itself up
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    I hydrate, strength train, moisturize and am using Nivea's various firming creams/gels to firm up what I can. It's helping some. Just depends on your skin. I'm also saving for surgery though :P
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    My advice, do what is suggested/recommended in terms of preventing it. But most importantly, don't obsess over it. If it stresses you out to the point where it might prevent you from losing, it's not worth it. I understand the concern, but just lose it and don't worry about things you can't really control.

Good luck! :)
  • frenchie2727
    frenchie2727 Posts: 46 Member
    You're young so your skin still has the elasticity it needs to recover...
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    I have the same fear but I'd rather be him with saggy skin then fat with firm skin.

I'm drinking plenty of water. I've just started massaging my body every night with firming lotion (Palmers) and am strength training. I have some saggy skin now but it's not noticeable. Once I lose more I assume it will get more noticeable.

Remember it can take two years for your skin to recover once you have lost the weight. So patience.
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    I have the same fear but I'd rather be him with saggy skin then fat with firm skin.

I'm drinking plenty of water. I've just started massaging my body every night with firming lotion (Palmers) and am strength training. I have some saggy skin now but it's not noticeable. Once I lose more I assume it will get more noticeable.

Remember it can take two years for your skin to recover once you have lost the weight. So patience.

Great post Lozze, i too have a phobia about this. however i have come to the same resolution as you. i would prefer to be thinner. Also i too will start massaging/moisturizing and toning etc to reduce excess skip.
  • Elise_healthy4life
    Elise_healthy4life Posts: 182 Member
    I was worried to as I still have a far way to go and already starting to get lose skin but I read somewhere I think on here that it can take time sometimes a year or two for your skin to catch up to your weight loss I'm finding that the Nivea skin firming lotion with q10 seems to be helping a bit to :)
  • Jd1360
    Would stretch mark lotion work too? I (shamefully) admit I had stretch marks on my stomach and bought lotion for it.

Thanks everyone!! I am feeling more encouraged with this!! :D
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    I'm really freaking out about this today :(
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    bump
  • fbetsa
    fbetsa Posts: 6
    Thanks for this post... i was thinking the same thing!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    I am 34 and I have been heavy for over 14 years straight and have had 2 kids. I've lost 100 pounds so far with 50+ to go. I don't seem to have too big of an issue with saggy skin. I think it helps if you don't lose too fast and also do strength training along the way.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    :smile: Search for the post 'excess skin'... there were quite a few responses to that
  • tcm118
    tcm118 Posts: 54
    I've lost 65 pounds over about 2 years. I still have another 20-25 to go, but so far I haven't experienced an issues with noticeable loose skin. I'm hoping it will stay that way, but I swear I check my stomach regularly for any new signs. I still think if it starts getting really loose, then at least I'll know I've lost weight there!