Healthy way to get that sugar high?

Options
A friend of mine wrote to me today. "I was really bad today I couldn't stop the urges to have a sugar high"

We all have days like this. Any suggestions for how to manage this, or some healthier alternatives??

Replies

• Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sugar. What a demon it is.
    I don't crave sugar as much as I crave sweet. I take it out on putting dark chocolate chips in the freezer and crunching on them when I need a sweet fix. Personally, I think they saved my life while trying to lose weight.
  • miss_september
    Options
    I don't necessarily just crave Sugar, but I do get specific cravings for sweets. Some of my solutions are: Fruit, usually bananas or other sweeter fruits--sometimes dry fruit works better, I love prunes and my husband's favorite is dried mangoes; I used to *love* ice cream, I switched to non-fat frozen yogurt (or low-fat when I want to try a different brand), we usually get vanilla and if I want some other flavor we buy toppings like carmel, strawberry, etc.--one of my favorite desserts now; Homemade baked goods, I don't really do fake sweetener, stevia, etc. so I use real sugar, usually use brummel and brown or olive oil for the fat and cut back on it a little, an easy one to make healthier is banana bread, I add extra banana to help with it being drier from less fat, I also tend to add ground flax seed, walnuts/other healthy nuts, and oatmeal when I can; Sometimes home-made trail mix really works, because I add chocolate chips and dried fruit, that mixed with the nuts can be really satisfying; Frozen yogurt cups--not the kind that is like ice cream, but like yoplait; popsicles--when we make our own we use koolaid with less sugar; and finally cereal, as silly as that may sound, while we try to stay away from big boxes of the sugary stuff, I do keep a few of the individual-serving sizes in my desk to snack on like popcorn, and things like chocolate cheerios and fruity honey bunches of oats can really fix a dessert/sugar craving.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't crave sugar as much as I crave sweet.
    Wut?
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have a big bowl(about 250g) of 0% fage greek yoghurt and mix in 2 tbsp Pb2, some chia seeds, a tbsp of blackcurrant jam and some omega seed mix and mix it all up. Follow it with some blueberries or a pear or something if I am still craving. That usually sorts me out.
  • Dijon360
    Dijon360 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks. I'll pass it on. Dried fruits are a great idea as are the others.