IBS / Coeleac disease?

Options
missyt78
missyt78 Posts: 62 Member
Hi there

For years i have lived with IBS, but have always just dealt with it myself and it became the norm. But i have just recently been formally diagnosed with it and i have medication to help with the unwanted side affects:blushing: but the doctor thinks and underlying wheat allergy may be adding to this ( i am already lactose intollerent).

I know people who have coeliac disease eat a wheat free diet, but when i researched it there is soo much i cant eat.. im wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on what i should eat to help control it? The doctor was fairly vague and just mentioned the usual food groups such as pasta/bread etc.

Also if anyone has any good wheat free recipies please feel free to send them my way

Thank you. :bigsmile:

Replies

• adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be a GF/CF (gluten free caseine free) diet? Search for that, it's pretty popular with autistic kids' parents.... I looked into it for my son and found lots and lots of information on the internet, as well as cookbooks at the bookstore. Good luck.
  • missyt78
    Options
    thanks for that, i will have a wee look the now. it may be benificial to my oldest son too as he has mild ASD.

Thanks
    :smile:
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    check out the library, Ours has a few books on the subject. sounds like this would be a healthy change for your whole family!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Probably checked this out already but a great site for info..

http://www.celiac.com/

If u live near a WF you can get a list from customer service with all of their GF products
    Also check out glutenfreemall.com
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Ask to be tested to discover if you actually have celiac disease or are just wheat intolerant. Wheat intolerance means you should avoid wheat. . .while celiac means you MUST avoid wheat. So, it's important to know. There's a blood test, followed by a biopsy to confirm.

There are lots of alternatives to wheat. I've discovered that the benefits far outweigh the trouble it takes to find the alternatives. More energy, better skin, less abdominal pain, etc are worth it, I assure you!:flowerforyou:
  • missyt78
    Options
    thanks guys.:flowerforyou:

i will have a wee look at all these helpful pointers!

:bigsmile:
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of info on the web and in the library. I have celiac and my oldest daughter is allergic to wheat. We have to avoid a lot of the same things but having celiac I have to avoid some others that she does not such as barley, rye and some oats. My son is autistic and on a GF/CF diet and it has done wonders for him and his behavior.

Good luck to you! If you need help or have any questions I would be glad to help you out!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I went years diagnosed with IBS. Did a simple blood work and it was celiac. I then had to have a upper and lower colonoscopy done to confirm it. Been a few years now and I STILL mess up ALOT.

Of course breads., pasta you stay away from (they make GF pastas and the GF breads are horrendous so I just dont eat bread I will use corn toortillas and rice tortillas) . Those arent the problems though. Its the inner aisles of the grocery store. Marinades, dressings, anything in a box is usually deadly to me. When you eat out you MUST tell everyone who will listen that you need to be GF (gluten free)..Resturants dust and use flour as a thickener in EVERYTHING. Outback Steakhouse, PF Changs and a few other resturant chains have GF menus. Research online prior to going...Pizzaria Uno just came out with GF pizza...not sure where you live.
    Then comes the lotions, hair products etc etc..

There is a GF for Dummies out there :) . I went to a nutrtionist at first. Take a day in your pantry. Alot of foods have wheat listed on them easily (if your GF then you need to look for barley and malt some have oat issues b/c oats are sometimes rolled in flour and that does not have to be listed yet). Put those you know to the side. Then the ones that you are unsure of research online. Just goggle and see what comes up. Always remember if soy sauce is in the ingredients you cant do it since American soy sauce is wheat based. There are rice based soy sauces out there but they would clearly be stated on the bottle as rice soy sauce. Its really getting popular to be GF. You will be amazed at what grocery stores carry. Also find a health food store that carries GF products. If you have a Trader Joes near you they have a great list of their products you can eat.

GF food is NOT i repeat NOT better for you. Alot of it is high sugar and high calories so watch out. Plus when you swing 5.99 for a box of GF cookies you feel obligated to eat the whole damm box before they can go bad...

Its very overwhelming at 1st. But you will get the hang of what you can eat, what brands you can eat etc...For instance I just found a Skinny Cow fudge bar that I can eat :) I just goggled Skinny Cow gluten free and it came up..Its a PITA but it beats the alternative. Alot of us GF'ers develop other intolerances as well like lactose, yeast and who knows what else. I know when I mess up now b.c my psorisis breaks out really bad.

Dont fret though there are beers now GF!!! Redbridge, Bards and Dragon Tale. :drinker:
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I worked for 2 years at a bakery that makes gluten free breads, buns, cookies, & donuts, pizza crusts, etc., some products were also Casian free. They also carry and ship (to individuals) pastas, soy sauce, soups bases and other items. The company is in Canada but most of the product is shipped to the United States, company is Kinnikinnick foods. I believe they list retailers that carry their product on their website, they also ship directly to individuals.

As others have mentioned get tested as if it is celiac disease you wil have to read labels very carefully as any gluten will cause problems.

The celiac societies in both Canada and the States offer courses in how the read ingredient labels. With regard to reading try The G-free diet, A Gluten free Survival Guide by Elizabeth Hasselback from the View.
  • missyt78
    Options
    Wow you guys are so amazin, such a lot of great info.

I have now been eating a w.f diet for almost a week, and i can feel a difference. Im also lactose intollerent so initially i felt like i was cutting another food group out..which annoyed me slightly but to say that i feel alot better is an understatement.

I've never really been one to check food content on the labels.. only calories and fat.. but now its the first thing i think of when i am buying or preparing food. I have gone cold turkey for my bread hit as i lived on wholmeal breads and pasta before i knew about the wheat allergy. but with feeling much better it kinda makes it easier to get over it!

I never realised just how much wheat/gluten was in foods..hidden everywhere. Thankfully im not a big fan of pre-made sauces and foods.. other than soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce on my salads lol:laugh: which sounds wrong but its really niice i promise :laugh: it really does make you think about what you are putting in your body!

well thanks again guys you are the best!

:bigsmile: