Weights are to heavy for my hands...

Options
2»

Replies

• stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    You are strengthening your grip. This is a good thing. Avoid straps at all costs. Ok, maybe if you're picking up 300lbs, consider straps, but until then, don't do it. It will compromise your grip strength.

Also, chalk may help some.

^^ This.

^^^ Agreed
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    You are strengthening your grip. This is a good thing. Avoid straps at all costs. Ok, maybe if you're picking up 300lbs, consider straps, but until then, don't do it. It will compromise your grip strength.

Also, chalk may help some.

Completely agree. You may find that your forearms are part of the issue too. This will get better over time, but there are a few specific wrist/forearm strengthening exercises that may also help.
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    So do I just stay at the 25lbs until my grip strength catches up?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Try heavier and you may surprise yourself. Do exercises to strengthen your grip and target your forearms with some exercises as well, in the mean time.
  • Rayman79
    Options
    People really need to remember that building strength is a total body thing. In the 'real world' your shoulders or biceps may be strong enough to lift something but if you dont have the grip strength or total body strength - that object aint going anywhere.
  • Rayman79
    Options
    Some questions for you, how many sets/reps/exercises are you doing before they become to tired or sore?
  • Sheriemae
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I think I'm going to try to strengthening exercies for now. Hopefully I will see improvement.
  • Sheriemae
    Options
    Some questions for you, how many sets/reps/exercises are you doing before they become to tired or sore?

They usually start to cramp around the 3rd or 4th rep. Usually on the second exercise. The phase I'm in I only have to do 8 reps, 10 second break, then 3 extreme reps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You should definately try to strengthen them - if you use straps, you will never do that - and you cannot use straps with a lot of types of lifts. Strengthening them will help your lifting long term and will allow greater strength for 'day to day life'.
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves with wrist support for my lifting - also I tend to ice my wrists after I'm done as I get swelling in my hands.
    Those two things have basically eliminated any issues for me,
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    skip straps, gloves, etc, just keep doing it, it will eventually get strong. it will catch up, unless your in some specific physical disability, you look normal and your problem is caused by someone who's starting
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I also am doing ChaLean extreme. I use gloves and massage my hands after. I am also a dental hygienist and work with my hands all day long, so I stretch my hands and forearms daily.
  • Stephyshoes
    Stephyshoes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You could try using a Gripmaster, or look up finger/grip strengthening exercises for guitarists. I used to have issues with grip in my right hand just because my left was so much stronger from playing guitar - doing finger/grip exercises for my right hand cleared that up pretty quickly. Good luck!