To Exercise Calories or Not??

2»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    So much Broscience on this forum. The greater the calorie deficit the more fat loss occurs. Depending on your workouts and how intense they are, along with how you feel, will tell you how much you need to eat. This is you and you alone. There is no magical minimum calories to be healthy.

This is me:

I eat 80% of my BMR. I exercize 500+ calories per day. This creates huge calorie deficits. I've lots fat and inches. I have to go buy more clothes. I'm dropping 3-4 lbs per week. Fatigue doesn't happen unless I really push hard for more than 1.5 hours in the gym. I get cardio 6 days per week. I lift 3 days per week in addition to cardio.

I also fast for 12-16 hours per day and I try to carb cycle. (still trying to work that out)

OMG WTF BBQSAUSE!

According to all of the bro-scientists around here, this is BAD BAD BAD! I'm going to die, or over train, put on fat, eat my organs, lose muscle, go into starvation mode, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Yeah right... I have great energy. I'm losing fat. I feel great. Hunger isn't an issue. I'm shedding weight. I lift and I'm getting stronger and more lean.

But this is me and I'm doing great with this.

To sum this up. You have to do based on how you feel and how your progress is going.

With all due respect to the poster above, those who are extremely overweight can tolerate a much larger deficit for some time. After you've dropped another 60 lbs, you will get better results with a sane deficit.
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    So much Broscience on this forum. The greater the calorie deficit the more fat loss occurs. Depending on your workouts and how intense they are, along with how you feel, will tell you how much you need to eat. This is you and you alone. There is no magical minimum calories to be healthy.

This is me:

I eat 80% of my BMR. I exercize 500+ calories per day. This creates huge calorie deficits. I've lots fat and inches. I have to go buy more clothes. I'm dropping 3-4 lbs per week. Fatigue doesn't happen unless I really push hard for more than 1.5 hours in the gym. I get cardio 6 days per week. I lift 3 days per week in addition to cardio.

I also fast for 12-16 hours per day and I try to carb cycle. (still trying to work that out)

OMG WTF BBQSAUSE!

According to all of the bro-scientists around here, this is BAD BAD BAD! I'm going to die, or over train, put on fat, eat my organs, lose muscle, go into starvation mode, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Yeah right... I have great energy. I'm losing fat. I feel great. Hunger isn't an issue. I'm shedding weight. I lift and I'm getting stronger and more lean.

To sum this up. You have to do based on how you feel and how your progress is going.
    ^This
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member

This is me:

OMG WTF BBQSAUSE!

With all due respect to the poster above, those who are extremely overweight can tolerate a much larger deficit for some time. After you've dropped another 60 lbs, you will get better results with a sane deficit.

I understand what you say but I do not agree.

So long as we have fat to lose, more than 5-6% for men, from what I understand, calorie deficit will pull from the fat reserves. That is how the body functions. Being in a fasted state burns fat and doesn't lower the metabolism by any measurable amount. It's completely normal and natural to how the human body works.

The fewer calories consumed, the longer a person will be in a deficit and in a fasted state. Once I lose another 60 lbs, this is a guess, but I'll be at or around 19% body fat. There is nothing but anecdotal evidence on here from people saying that eating more makes people lose more weight.