Testosterone loss

Options
recesq
recesq Posts: 154 Member
Well,back in September of 2011 I started this trip. I'm down 63lbs with a lot more to go, but I feel 1000 times better!

I mentioned the fact i my previous blog that my weight loss Dr. did blood work on me and said my testosterone was the lowest she had ever seen. It was 90 back then. Anywhere from 250-300 to 1100 is the normal range. It took me 6 months to book the appointment with an endocrenologist, and up until today to get the results.

It was a little scary bc the doc had to "violate" me on my first visit. I was ......unprepared. When seeking hormone replacement therapy, or testosterone, a base line must be done on your prostate. Not only the blood test (PSA) but also a "digital" exam............like I said, I was violated. So guys, if you think you may suffer from low testosterone and do go to an endocrenologist, be forewarned-wear clean underwear.

That wasn't the real scary part though.

The doc told me with readings as low as mine they often saw as the culprit a tumor on the pituitary. Great. AND, since I had low thyroid readings as well, and since I had what had been diagnosed as having a fatty tumor on my throat, he wanted me to have an ultrasound on my throat just to make sure nothing was really wrong.

I had the ultrasound today and then the results of the blood work-which would tell the doc if there was likely a tumor on the pituitary.

Thank goodness no pituitary tumor and no immediate signs of problems with a tumor on the thyroid......whew.

So, I have prescriptions for thyroid replacement---synthroid or something like that, and androgen, a testosterone gel you rub on your shoulders every day. I'll start taking those in 3-4 days.

I should notice much more energy and start feeling better physically and psychologically. Low Testosterone manifests symptoms commonly of very low energy, lack of desire for a lot of things including sex, depression, sluggishness, etc.
The doc said when he sees me again in 6 weeks I should feel very different. A "side" benefit of both testosterone and the thyroid hormone is also supposed to be more weight loss. Those hormones are major players in your cells being able to burn fat. Low levels of the stuff almost makes it impossible for your cells to metabolize fat the way its supposed to.

Needless to say I'm very excited about what this replacement therapy is going to do for me. From what I've read so far, testosterone never comes back, so you have to stay on it the rest of your life.......if it makes me feel better and helps me to function more normally then thats a small price to pay, in my opinion. I'll keep you in the loop as I keep traveling down this road.

John Galt

Replies

• bmw_bloch
    bmw_bloch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi John

Two month since your post. Any luck with that testosterone therapy ?
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Regarding thyroid. Below is a link to the Wellcome Institute podcast, where they talk about the Thyroid a lot as a background to the cancer resulting from Chernobyl. Really interesting series, would love to attend a lecture (live local but work far away).

http://www.wellcomecollection.org/whats-on/events/packed-lunch-podcast/radiation.aspx

Description:
    A year after the Fukushima nuclear disaster, how has human health been affected - and what lessons were learned from previous nuclear accidents? Drawing on her work at the Chernobyl Tissue Bank, Gerry Thomas talks to the Wellcome Trust's Daniel Glaser about some of the effects of radiation at high and low doses.

This packed lunch event was recorded live on 23 May 2012 at Wellcome Collection.