Anyone Give up WW to join MFP?

Options
I am considering giving up Weight Watchers and using MFP instead. Has anyone made the switch from WW to MFP. If so, what are your thoughts? I just joined MFP so I don't have any experience with the food database and exercise logs yet. Love the message boards and seems like a lot of good info. Just want some opinions on long term success with MFP.

Replies

• rininger85
    rininger85 Posts: 131
    Options
    I've never tried weight watchers before... but I've used livestrong.com for a while and now MFP for the past few weeks and I've tracked food intake and exercise by some hand written note pages before, MFP seems the best for me so far, livestrong was pretty similar the only reason I came to MFP now instead of going back to livestrong was because MFP has an android app and livestrong only has iphone/windows/blackberry apps... really the only thing you need to make any of them work I think is to be honest about your food intake and exercise... if you are honest with yourself and set reasonable goals and maintain them then you'll succeed... I personally don't want to pay for weight watchers or any of those type of programs
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I was a WW member up until March of this year. In January a friend told me about MFP so I checked it out and then used both sites for a month. I found that this website is FAR superior to the WW one and quit WW. The food database is awesome. The ease of use and speed is superior. The community is superior. Someone is always running a challenge group. I have lost more weight, and have almost continous losses every week since I joined MFP.

In short...I absolutely LOVE MFP...and best of all...it is FREE!!! What's not too like! I am saving myself 58 dollars a month and losing more weight. Try it, you will love it.

Edit for spelling error.
  • LORA0504
    LORA0504 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback!! I cancelled WW and started using MFP solely this week. I love this site and the people are fantastic!
  • RoseAsRose
    RoseAsRose Posts: 39
    Options
    This is great to hear - I was considering joining WW (again) but the datatbase on MFP is amazing and it seems like it will be too tedious to look up the food here, and then have to use another site to convert it all to points...
  • matenleigh
    matenleigh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ive done WW successfully in the past loosing 35kg. Put nearly all of it back on and tried WW at home again over last few months with little results...
    Loving MFP and have already lost 5kg in four weeks! I have the scanner for my pantry and am finding the calorie counting a lot easier - and fun!
  • heatherAnnXOX
    heatherAnnXOX Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i joined WW for the second time last may-ish [could no longer afford it the first time, can't remember what my weight was at the start/end of that attempt] and joined MFP last june. was sticking more to WW than here up until sometime early this year when i started to really fall in love with this site. i am not yet ready to stop counting points. but i do love how on here i can see calories, carbs, sodium etc. rather than just 4 pts or whatever. i like knowing how much i burn with my HRM rather than seeing 5 activity points. i do like that WW has the weekly/activity points that you can save up for a certain day of the week, rather than the daily exercise calories here.

i do love the message boards on here and think it's easier, for me, to find what i am looking for on MFP.
  • janvcooper
    janvcooper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I originally lost weight using the momentum plan, but on maintenance the new points plus plan just doesn't work for me. Free fruit is not an option when your goal weight is less than 130 lbs, and the whole points plus plan just doesn't cut it like the last couple of plans did. I weigh in once a month or more at weightwatchers--I'm lifetime so I don't have to pay--and stay for the meeting, I like the group dynamics and the support. But I've been maintaining using MFP for about a year, prefer the message boards here, and enjoy the MFP community and the information available about diet and exercise. And it's free! You just have to be dogged about logging your intake. This site makes it easy!
  • mking
    mking Posts: 45
    Options
    Yeaaa!!!
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    MFP > WW All Day!! and it's free
  • michcakes
    michcakes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did. I find tracking calories to be more effective than points. The whole 0 point thing bugged me, because although veggies and some other items are very low cal, it still all adds up. Plus, this was free, and there are WAY more foods in the database on MFP than on WW's tool
  • skimbrough28
    skimbrough28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I stopped WW recently, when my work hours increased, it became impossible to make the meetings on time. Then I started to feel like I was paying for support when I knew enough people trying to lose weight and figured we could still be supportive to each other without paying someone a monthly fee. I keep my WW food books, but use this website.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    My boyfriend wants me to do Weight Watchers as it USED to work for him (he gained it back). He keeps telling me about how you can eat all the fruits and veggies you want and its no points etc. I said but fruits and veggies still have calories. If I eat a dozen bananas I ate probably a good 1000 calories, so that's kinda null and void don't yah think. Plus I'm not going to eat fruits and veggies 24/7 every day. I would like some ice cream, meat, potatoes, etc in my life thank you very much.
  • glenn1barber
    Options
    I was thinking about ww when I found mfp. Can you give me some idea of the ww program
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, yep. I did. So glad I did, too.
    I have lost more weight in two weeks following MFP than I did on two months of WW PP.

Points Plus seems to hate me. I've tried and given up on it twice. So happy that I never have to do that again.
    The original Points system was working for me. In fact, I lost about 25lbs on it until they switched me over to PP.

WW seemed more like a daily chore to me than a lifestyle change. I hated how it was a big mathematical project every time I went to eat something. MFP makes it simple. Just read the label.

I just got tired of paying so much for fake motivation and a program that wasn't working right for me.
    I also got sick of WW pushing products every time I'd go to a meeting. Really annoyed me. :/
  • MorbidNTT
    MorbidNTT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Want to spend massive amounts of money? WW! Want a free diary? MFP!
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've been on/off WW several times, most recently from January up until about 2 weeks ago. My BF lost his job and we had to make sacrifices. I'm actually liking MFP a lot better!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up WW and join MFP. I was on WW when I was 16 years old, lost the weight, gained it all back plus a crap load more. I had thought about joining back to WW, then just realized all I needed was a food journal. That is what kept me accountable. Among other things, I didn't want to learn a whole new system again (i know the old points program), I'm broke, can't go to meetings because I have to work, and don't want to live off of points my entire life. It is a very good program so I'm not hating on it. It's a great stepping off point. I just want to do it on my own now.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I gave WW up when I found MFP. I love MFP. The forums are great, the people are great, the site is easy to use, phone app is great also.
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of making the switch now. I've lost about 20 pounds on WW and am securely in my healthy weight range. I've heard good things about MFP ~ I plan to use this site to lose my last couple of vanity pounds & for maintenance. I couldn't rationalize spending $18/month anymore.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    I left WW in april this year and haven't looked back since. I love MFP's food data base it's much, much easier to use and have plenty more foods than WW,plus I got really tired of counting points trying to figure out exactly how many cals the points were worth,which was very frustrating,Plus this is free(who doesn't like free):laugh:

MFP ROCKS! :glasses: