Eating before going to bed

Sometimes i eat right before i go too bed due too a long day at work come home shower eat go too bed i was just wondering if its a bad thing too do i know its better too have ur calories during the day but is it terriable too eat before going too bed

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    doesnt matter a bit
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Tonights bedtime snack is 2T of peanut butter and 1 slice of bread. Perfect
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    no problemo. eating right before bed is my favorite.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    I think the only way it matters if it keeps you from falling asleep. But if it's part of your regime and you are comfortable with it, go for it. I've read that calorie-burn-wise it makes no difference.
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    as long as it fits in your calories u are ok. doesnt matter. id love to eat right before bed ... i usually try to fit some pop corn in right before or something
  • I started doing this and I think its why I gained so much weight. Now that I'm on this site, I only eat healthier things at night and stay within my limit.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    When I'm in the middle of a bulking phase and trying to build as much muscle as possible, I will get up in the middle of the night and eat. When you go more then 4 hours without eating, cortisol levels rise which tell the body that muscle isn't necessary to keep and fat is, so the body wants to store more fat with elevated cortisol levels. Other forms of stress elevate cortisol levels too, but this is one that I can control, where I can't always control test anxiety or job stress. Anyway, it's a trick bobybuilders use to maintain muscle and cut fat. So, no, there is no reason to not eat before bed unless you are just way over your calorie needs.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    I don't think it's bad to eat before bed time. If you are eating a large meal, like a dinner sized meal right before you go to bed, it may just mess up your sleeping. I know that if I eat to much before bed I toss and turn all night and wake up soo sleepy! But 1/2 cup yogurt and some fruit or some other type of healthy snack/dessert like 20-30 mins before bed doesn't bother me.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    I tend to eat most of my calories in the second half of the day. I find if I load up at breakfast and lunch, I end up wanting a snack in the evening anyway, and I don't have calories left. At least, that was the case when I was doing 1200-1400 per day, but I've increased my strength training so I bumped up to 1870 per day and my plateau broke and I'm losing again. I love calories!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    I'm sitting in bed right now eating. :laugh: Popcorn, a peanut butter ball and some dark chocolate. Perfect way to end the night and I'm going to be lazy and just leave my popcorn bowl on my nightstand and not even take it out to the kitchen until morning.
  • When you go more then 4 hours without eating, cortisol levels rise which tell the body that muscle isn't necessary to keep and fat is, so the body wants to store more fat with elevated cortisol levels.

I wonder how on earth those doing Intermittent fasting lose any bodyfat :huh:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Sometimes i eat right before i go too bed due too a long day at work come home shower eat go too bed i was just wondering if its a bad thing too do i know its better too have ur calories during the day but is it terriable too eat before going too bed

calories can't tell time.
  • Dave198lbs
    . When you go more then 4 hours without eating, cortisol levels rise which tell the body that muscle isn't necessary to keep and fat is, so the body wants to store more fat with elevated cortisol levels. Other forms of stress elevate cortisol levels too, but this is one that I can control, where I can't always control test anxiety or job stress. Anyway, it's a trick bobybuilders use to maintain muscle and cut fat. So, no, there is no reason to not eat before bed unless you are just way over your calorie needs.

coritsol is an issue with stress and possibly coffee. I have not seen any science on increased cortisol after not eating 4 hours. got a source for this claim?
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    I'm sitting in bed right now eating. :laugh: Popcorn, a peanut butter ball and some dark chocolate. Perfect way to end the night and I'm going to be lazy and just leave my popcorn bowl on my nightstand and not even take it out to the kitchen until morning.
    What? Leave dishes till morning? Anarchy!
  • Dave198lbs
    When you go more then 4 hours without eating, cortisol levels rise which tell the body that muscle isn't necessary to keep and fat is, so the body wants to store more fat with elevated cortisol levels.

I wonder how on earth those doing Intermittent fasting lose any bodyfat :huh:

and everyone who sleeps 8 hours
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    It's fine unless you're eating carbs, then the insulin fairy will come and turn it all to fat

insulinfairycopyfinal.jpg
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,238 Member
    hold on, lemme get my mint chocolate chip...this is gonna be good