Pain in knee when squatting past parallel

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
I was doing the front squash/push press when going to the gym last night. The first time I did this move I went past parallel. Last night when doing it I was getting intense pain in my right knee. It felt like it would snap! I asked one of the guys if I was squatting right and he watched and said yes. I showed a work ate (who is a pt) and hey said the same. I was getting the pain as well (no weight at work!) I do have slight turn in of that leg but I've not had pain before. (and don't have pain when I'm not squatting)

Any advice?

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A "slight turn in" sounds like it may be turning into a major cave-in when you actually start squatting. Your knees should be pushing outward during a squat.

What causes your knee to turn in?
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Make sure your feet are not pointing straight forward. They should be pointed outwards at a 30-45 degree angle. You definitely don't want turn-in. You also don't want your knees going past your toes on the descent. If you're already doing that, then I would check with your physician.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    A "slight turn in" sounds like it may be turning into a major cave-in when you actually start squatting. Your knees should be pushing outward during a squat.

We might have a winner here! I've been focussing on having my feet straight and my knnes slightly knocked. I put my feet facing outwards at a 45 degree angle and little pain! I've got deadlifts next workout so I'll really focus on my feet placement when doing them (and drop the weight by 5kg) It's on a box so I was meant to drop weight anyways. Thank you!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    As you know I've just had knee surgery, so I can't squat past parallel for the near future anyways... but...

Placing your feet facing outward should help, as well as making sure your feet are in line with each other. My PT noticed that I put my injured leg's foot back further to protect it, but it's just messing with my form.

I've been trying to line my toes up with a line in the carpet tiles and checking the mirror each time before I squat.

Also make sure you push your butt back so your knees don't come out over your toes.

I've heard that you should try and wiggle your toes when you are at the bottom of the squat to make sure you are pushing through your heals, but I'm not sure if that's fact or fiction. LOL.