What to eat at a restaurant???

Options
jesska812
jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
Hi - hoping that someone much wiser than myself will be able to help me out. I'm heading out for dinner tonight and I will have approximately 600 calories left for dinner. I've looked up the menu and I'm trying to pick the healthiest thing now (so there's less chance of my will power crumbling closer to dinner time!!) I'm thinking the healthiest things look between the - grilled chicken and cous cous salad, polenta and roast vegetable stack or a veggie burger with no chips or mayo.

Any assistance as to which might be the best choice?? Thanks in advance I'm terrible at the 'going out and eating' part.

Replies

• gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The grilled chicken sounds like a better choice. More protein than the veggie burger and no bread. But If you're craving a burger and you think this will satisfy, give it a whirl.
  • nikitu5
    nikitu5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Veggie burgers can be laden with more cals than a real one, sadly.
    I'd go for the chicken, then again, I always choose the safe option.
  • jesska812
    jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm going with the grilled chicken and cous cous salad - I thought that was probably the best choice but I haven't had much experience with cous cous and wasn't sure about it.

Thanks guys.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think the chicken is a safe (ish!) bet but the couscous will be pot luck -it might have lots of oil/butter in it, but hopefully will have some veggies too. If you aren't so sure, maybe ask them to replace the couscous with a green salad and baked potato or steamed rice and steamed veggies.

In general I try to pick a meal where I can SEE what is on the plate - grilled chicken, fish, steak etc are a good bet. And I'll usually ask for any sauce or dressing to be served on the side. And will order a salad or steamed veggies or steamed rice. Although they are bound to add more oil/butter while cooking, at least you stand a better chance of guessing what you are eating than if you order a dish like a pasta or paella or veggie burger where they are probably hiding all kinds of calorie-laden things inside.

Really though, it depends - if it's a special occasion, I'll eat whatever I feel like, hang the calories and go back to healthy eating tomorrow!