My trip to the dietician - and I have questions

Options
So today, I went to the dietitian to get my BMR tested. I did the indirect calorimeter,from REE\VUE I had to breath through the tube and wear a pincher on my nose. The test was 10 minutes long and it was 120 bucks. Once the test was done the Nurses Aide gave me a print out of my stats.

With my stats of being 5 feet tall, and with a weight of 176lbs. She found out my BMR is higher than normal. (300-400 calories higher) She was wondering if I took or anything. I informed her no. Just advil in the morning. It was 5:30 pm when I took the test.

So here what it says:
Measured REE:1915 kcal/day
Predicted REE: 1564
Estimated: 2488 <-- which is my total daily TDEE
and maintenance for me is 1915 - 2488.
Weight Loss Zone 1533 - 1915

She told me that 1200 was too low and I should eat within 1400-1500 calories. I couldn't ask her much, since I had a hard time understanding her. But she told me not to eat to much bread, and not al-ot of processed foods. and eat more protein and veggies.

Since I know my calories now. How do I deal with weight training. Since its hard to accurately pinpoint how many calories you can burn

And even though my BMR is higher than normal. How come I gain weight?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Well you gain weight by eating more calories than you expend... even with a higher-than-normal BMR. Do you work out regularly? If so, I'd aim to eat 1900 calories/day and not add in exercise. See what happens if you stick to 1900.

I am 177 lbs (taller, mind you - 5'7") and I burn about 2500-3500 calories per week running. I am eating 2100/day on average (total, not net) and am losing.

I couldn't survive on 1200/day. That's insane.

EDITED TO ADD: For what it's worth, I think it's crazy she told you to drop 500 below BMR *shrug*... but she's the expert I guess.
  • indigochilds
    indigochilds Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well you gain weight by eating more calories than you expend... even with a higher-than-normal BMR. Do you work out regularly? If so, I'd aim to eat 1900 calories/day and not add in exercise. See what happens if you stick to 1900.

I am 177 lbs (taller, mind you - 5'7") and I burn about 2500-3500 calories per week running. I am eating 2100/day on average (total, not net) and am losing.

I couldn't survive on 1200/day. That's insane.

EDITED TO ADD: For what it's worth, I think it's crazy she told you to drop 500 below BMR *shrug*... but she's the expert I guess.

Haven't worked out since January. and when I started trying to lose weight in Jan 2011 I was doing 1200. and this year I did 850 (the dietician told me not to do that) Instead she suggested I do 1400-1500. I'm kinda glad she suggested 1400-1500. I think I would feel comfortable doing that.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Try it. See what happens. Track diligently. The only way to know what works and what doesn't work, is to be accurate with it. Whatever you do, do it consistently and accurately.

But read this and see if any of this sounds like your situation:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Indigo, I would also note that you may gain just a bit after you increase your calories. This is just your body adjusting since you have been eating so low. Stick with it for at least a month before lowering and then if you do I would only do maybe 100 at a time. You will find the balance that works for you, but each time you change, it could take a bit to show, especially this first time. I'm only 5'2" and I'm eating between 1,600-1,700 a day, typically only have about 200-300 deficit. I'm not losing much right now, but I'm also lifting pretty heavily, so it was expected. Good luck to you. :)