Best machine for "bye bye meat"

Options
I've only done cardio up to this point with maybe an occasional visit to the ab crunch or back machines...what are the best ones to use for what we affectionately call our "bye bye meat?" You know, the arm fat that continues waving "bye bye" long after your hand has stopped? ;)

Also...what is best for the dreaded bra fat that is in the front of the armpit as well as in the back?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Continuing to lose weight is best.
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    Any othe advice besides yeah, I still need to lose weight?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You can't target fat loss, but whole-body resistance training, rather than one particular area, will help.

Start on the machines if you're more comfortable with them, but ask the trainers at the gym about free weights. Machines tend to isolate a muscle group, whereas free weights use the body as designed. If you're stuck, kettlebell swings are a good start. YouTube the correct technique.

The two best machine exercises to start with are probably the leg press and lat pulldown (or assisted chin-up). Hope that helps.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting combined with a moderate deficit.

For that part of the arm work on triceps and biceps I believe.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    While you may have felt that answer was a little "short", it is correct.

The "long" version is:

You cannot "spot reduce". There is no machine you should be doing for a particular body part. Fat loss in general is the best help for that situation.

Plus: you should avoid machines in general, free weights are worlds better for a variety of reasons.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    There is no exercise that will target a specific area for fat reduction. This is what people mean when they say you can't spot reduce.

Overall fat loss comes primarily from diet. Exercise can play a part in helping maintain muscle whilst losing fat but can not target any area for priority fat loss.

The biggest factor on where you will lose weight first and where you will lose it last is genetics. Some people are genetically predisposed to store weight on their hips, others on their arms, and others around their middle. It sounds like you are in the "arm" brigade.

Just keep going with the weight loss diet, add in whatever exercise you enjoy and eventually you will get there.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    While you cannot spot reduce, I have noticed my armpit fat and "bye bye fat" shrink a lot just from cardio, lifting 2-3 times a week and weight loss. It will come. I do a lot of tricep weight lifting though!
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've only done cardio up to this point with maybe an occasional visit to the ab crunch or back machines...what are the best ones to use for what we affectionately call our "bye bye meat?" You know, the arm fat that continues waving "bye bye" long after your hand has stopped? ;)

Also...what is best for the dreaded bra fat that is in the front of the armpit as well as in the back?

Thanks for any and all advice!

I recommend getting some weights - the Davina set are good - and do some squat presses. A lot of the moves in level 1 of the 30 Day Shred helped me tackle my bra fat. :)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Lol thats the grossest name i ever heard it called. Just diet and exercise would work .Also, I don't think some people can completely make it go away too without surgery. Not to be so negative but once loose skin gets to a certain point its kind of staying there.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    interval training when you do cardio. It burns more calories. If you don't want "bingo wings" you will have to work that area because as you lose weight your skin might droop abit and you need to tone those areas
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    the machines that the local Y has have a picture on them of what muscle groups they work. Take a peek at them and see which ones target the "bingo wings" or "bye bye meat". My local Y has trainers and monitors who are happy to show you which machines to use, and how to use them ( for free) I did cardio only for a while, then i have slowly been adding in machines for different muscle groups. Right now I do back extensions, ab curls, chest press, triceps, several different back and chest muscle groups. My bicep muscles are developing some good definition, but I still have my bingo wings....
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    OK thanks for all the input and advice...I appreciate it! :)