Anyone Vegan or Vegetarian?

Options
1235»

Replies

• lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Someone above mentioned seitan/tvp. Love seitan, although most of my homemade stuff isn't so good. yet. :P I got some tvp 'chunks' recently, thinking they would come out a bit like quorn 'chicken' when rehydrated - instead they came out like wet sponges. Eww. Any tips on fixing that appreciated - or are these just meant to turn out that way? :P

Plain TVP is also good in oatmeal to bulk up the protein - although I generally add vegan protein powder to my oats.

Yea, my homemade seitan hasn't been very good yet either. It always tastes too "yeasty" even though I've cut down on the amount of nutritional yeast I use. If anyone has a tried and true seitan recipe I'd love to see it!

I have only used the Bob's Red Mill TVP and mixed it with veggie broth and some "not beef'" or "not chicken" boullion and it turned out pretty good. More like crumbles than chunks, though.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Try working both beans and coarsely ground tvp nibbles into the seitan recipe y'all are using. I tried to find the recipe I used since it's been a while, but I've been having issues with bookmark purging. :(

It goes something like wheat gluten, soy flour, crushed beans or bean flour, tvp nibble for better texture, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, spices.. and broth or water.
  • fuzzyslipperz
    fuzzyslipperz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    These are the chunks I mean:

http://www6.netrition.com/now_tsp.html
    Would be curious if anyone has made these edible. :P

I love nutritional yeast! I use a few different seitan recipes and love the taste, it's the consistency I haven't gotten correct. I've boiled it, baked it, whatever.
  • temsabi
    temsabi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian represent!!!!!