Did you cleanse your digestive system before????

Options
I've been working out for maybe 2 weeks, eating healthier and I see no actual difference o_O I have been going to the restroom a lot more and forgive me if it is TMI, but when I use the potty, I leave the restroom smelling as if I swallowed a human being and they decomposed before releasing it into the toilet... I told a coworker about this and she suggested I do cleanse... Have you done some type of cleanse before? what were the results?

Any input is welcomed

* Thanks for Clicking*

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Your digestive system, if healthy, shouldn't need a special cleanse. It can cleanse itself. Just provide it with plenty of water, fibre and other nutrients.

If your faeces is smelling really bad though (worse than normal) it can be a sign of something serious going on. I'm not trying to scare you, and it might just be the sudden change in lifestyle. It can also be a sign of a number of medical conditions though and honestly, I'd get that checked out by a doctor if I were you.
  • alp1990
    alp1990 Posts: 56
    Options
    Colon cleanse tablets are really good, definitely worth a try. Even if its just to have a healthier digestive system :)
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    changing from a bad diet to a good diet (or vice versa) can upset your system, I would personally give it a few weeks to right itself, ... but if you are in any pain or discomfort get to a doctor and if it goes on any longer than 2 weeks get to a doctor, you cant be too careful when it comes to your health.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    If its been going on about the same time length you've been on a new diet, you are probably just adjusting.

Make sure you are eating fiber and drinking water, eventually it will work itself out. If it doesn't go away then you can talk to your doctor about it. Usually unless you have some major visible signs, you don't have any BAD problems that need immediate attention. :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    IMO its a bad idea. Your gut contains important flora and fauna for digesting your food in a delicate balance. It also releases enzymes and acids to break down foods. Mess with this balance and risk and upset gut and discomfort.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Ok well first thing in the morning, have a glass of boiled water and ad a slice of lemon to that. Drink this a moment before you going to have breakfast. I do this every morning.

I also did a 3 day detox....
    and I'm taking aloe vera for digestive health.

Now, you don't really have to do this, because your body can detoxify itself...but you could do this to give your body a little help and speedup things. The reason why your $*** stinks is maybe because your body is already getting rid of all those layers of toxins. Or maybe you're just not used to the smell of healthy manure. :drinker:
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't 'cleanse' your digestive system.

It's pretty complex in there in a way that you can't just fix stuff by giving it a quick wash with some water...

If you've upped protein that can be one thing that definitely affects me.

You've already said it ties in with when you changed your eating habits so just use common logical sense and use your judgement as to if you have a problem.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Your body has been cleansing your colon all by it self up until now. It doesnt need added cleaners and miracle tablets to make it sparkly and new! I think you should just keep up with it and make sure you eat a lot of fiber and drink a lot of water. Whenever I am feeling that things are not so fresh I will eat several apples in a day to help push out whatever is smelling so gross. I kinda think as apples as scrubbers for your insides.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You body is geared to clean its own colon - so no need for intervention. As others have said, the smell change is most likely caused by your colon adapting to the new diet. If it continues for an extended time- I would seek medical advice.
  • chubbytiff
    chubbytiff Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have heard doctors say that a detox before a diet is very benifecial. My best friend went to a dietition and he gave her a 5 day detox to do before her actual diet began. It was mostly small amounts of broccolli and chicken strips many times a day. I will find the paper she copied for me and send you a message with the info from that. Also Doctor OZ fans already know that before any diet they do suggest a detox. I have not done this before my weight loss journey began but they say it works to prepare body for dieting.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Colon cleanse tablets are really good, definitely worth a try. Even if its just to have a healthier digestive system :)

In what way does a colon cleanse tablet accomplish this?

OP -- Whatever healthier foods you're eating are causing the smell, most likely. Different foods digest differently. Some cause smellier gas than others, and therefore, also smellier poo. A cleanse isn't going to do anything good and could possibly be harmful.