how much is to much

Options
pomjt
pomjt Posts: 47 Member
a little about me to help help you with my question
i am a wife and mother of 2 ( they are 13 and 14 boys )
i dont work at the moment as just quit my job as it wasnt working for me or my family
i was a size 22 now a 18 and some clothes a 16
have lost 7 lb now since i started on here
i felt i have always kept bust but this doesnt mean active enought
i do street dance on a tuesday evening for a houe and half and at the moment im doing a dvd called
rebecca wheatley the new me work out which i really enjoy and am sweating to
i do this 3 - 4 times a week
but feel im not doing enough most of the day im sitting down /doing house work or visiting family ( not very active )

now since i started on here i have started working out and trying new things but each of the dvds i do ( as im not to fond of the gym) i also do street dance once a week
the dvds say do it once 2-3 times a week and let muscles rest
however there are days where i could just work out all day and a few days
so my question is how much is to much ??? what really are the limits ??
i hear sports people training 8-9 hours a day :s
and what sort of things would you recommend

Replies

• wabrody
    wabrody Posts: 202
    Options
    Well right now I go to the gym 5 days a week for about 2 1/2 hours. I also swim laps in the pool 20 minutes 4 days a week. I also ride my bike to and from work and to lunch and or pool everyday. I have set it up where I have 1 day where the only thing i do is ride my bike to and from work. The other day I ride my bike and just swim laps. Now i have been doing this for months now. I just added the pool to my workout.

What I would recommend is to do what your body will let you. Your body will tell you if you need to rest or if you can keep going. There are days where I just relax and let my body heal. There are other days where I just can't get enough.

What I would do is add some cardio with some resistance training to your workout. If you are not fond of the gym there are some exercises you can do at home that can help. Freetrainers.com is a great site for beginners looking to build a workout routine. I used it in the beginning and have modified it overtime.

Hope this helps.
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week, sometimes 7. Im a believer in daily cardio exercise. Even if you dont do a video, on your off days can you do a fast paced walk around the neighborhood for 30 minutes?

I run 3 days a week, spin at the gym 2 days a week, do insanity videos 2-3 times a week and on my non run days I make sure we get in a family walk or when the kid is in school, the dog and I go for a hike.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Recent research has shown that slim people tend to be more active in their day-to-day lives rather than just have intense exercise sessions. So if you have time on your hands why not carry on doing a steady workout for an hour or an intense workout for a bit less 5-6 times a week, then during the day add some extra gentle activity, like walking or cycling to the shops/park/library/visiting friends rather than taking the car. If your boys are into sport see if you can get involved, perhaps with family kickabout on weekends or evenings.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    This has to work with my lifestyle - I run for at least half an hour at a time but never more than an hour four or five times a week. I walk a fair bit just by walking to the train station etc (I don't count it as exercise but I suppose it's activity - it's a 20 minute walk each way etc). But there's no way that I'll go to the gym for hours a day - I don't have time or inclination. But I seem to have struck a balance between food and exercise and I'm loving it!

There's no one size fits all answer. Find a balance that works for you and run with it!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you can exercise 5 or 6 days a week, as long as you eat enough to fuel the exercise and take at least one rest day.

Check out youtube, there are some awesome workout stuff going on there. You can pull zumba videos, yoga, bodyrock.tv is also good.