Sore wrist - is it likely to be due to lifting?

Options
My left wrist has been sore recently and I particularly notice it when it is bearing weight - like doing pressups or mountain climbers. The pain is between my wrist and my thumb. I am a bit worried in case I did it while using my dumbbells and don't want to exacerbate the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I had wrist pain with push ups in my right wrist when I started a few months ago. After adding more lifts to my routine it actually went away so I'm not actually sure what even helped it. All I know is I went from machines to free weights and it eventually got better. I also do push ups, pull ups, and chin ups so that could have made my wrist stronger.
  • tacticalwhiz
    Options
    If you haven't lifted a lot before, or recently increased your weight, it's possible that your wrist just wasn't ready to bear that much weight yet. You might try taping it for extra support or possibly getting an ace bandage or flexible brace so you still have range of motion but get the support you need.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I have very weak wrists and they were sore when I first started lifting.. It eventually went away as I got stronger though.
  • BecCutting
    BecCutting Posts: 30
    Options
    I have this exact problem in my right wrist and I do find it is after I have one my arm weights (Lat pull down, shoulder press etc). I find that if I strap it after it helps with the pain... So next time I do my arm weights I am planning strapping before I do it and see if the extra support helps.
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) Reassuring to hear that other people have had this too. I'm going to try to get some kind of support for it.