Dropping the body fat %

Options
I have been trying all sorts of different plans from tons of cardio to high weight training to circuit training mixed with a lot fat and healthier diet and the BF% STILL doesn't seem to change. I don't know what I am doing wrong? I lost 29 lbs, but my BF% stayed around 26%. Any thoughts? Any ideas? I know no one plan works for everyone, but I don't want to just keep going and get discouraged when nothing changes. :sad:

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bump for info...
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    how are you measuring your body fat% a scale? calliper? waist measurements?
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same. I have the hand held body fat analyzer (same one my gym uses) and i have lost 11lbs (prob more because i have put on muscle) and still my BF is the same, how is that possible?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The best say to lose BF% is eat at a slight caloric deficit (around 250 cals/day which is a goal of 0.5lbs/week), eat enough protein (preferably a minimum of 1 gram per lb of lean body mass), and to participate in a heavy lifting strength training routine.

Too large of a deficit, not enough protein, and/or not challenging your muscles, will lead to the loss of a large % of muscle as you lose fat.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I was wondering the same. I have the hand held body fat analyzer (same one my gym uses) and i have lost 11lbs (prob more because i have put on muscle) and still my BF is the same, how is that possible?

It the think is correct and you lost weight and your BF% stays the same means you lost fat and muscle.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and get enough protein (1g per lb of lean body mass as a minimum) - that will help you retain muscle mass.
    Eat at a moderate deficit to lose weight.

Losing weight + retaining muscle = lower body fat %
  • ninaquelinda
    ninaquelinda Posts: 136
    Options
    Bump
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The best say to lose BF% is eat at a slight caloric deficit (around 250 cals/day which is a goal of 0.5lbs/week), eat enough protein (preferably a minimum of 1 gram per lb of lean body mass), and to participate in a heavy lifting strength training routine.

Too large of a deficit, not enough protein, and/or not challenging your muscles, will lead to the loss of a large % of muscle as you lose fat.

Beat me too it... but yea, this.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    my scale measures weight, body fat % and hydration. Are those accurate enough? I dont have a hand held one or calipers.

thanks
  • jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    try the 6 small meals a day plan....it works....

keeps ur metabolism revved up.....

back it up with HIIT and Core and Strength training....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Lets not forget to eat up to or even above TDEE on Lifting days.
    ...Leptin regulation etc...
  • jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    also DEXA scan is the most accurate way to check body fat %

it is also the most expensive...
  • antypim89
    antypim89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain dude.

Basically sounds like you need to up the after burn effect which is your metabolism AFTER you workout so your metabolism is ticking over at a higher rate for a longer period of time. Thing is about cardio and weights they have a limited after burn effect. Also i key thing is that its the quailty of the workout not the quantity. Doesnt matter if you can workout for 3 hrs when you can have the same and better effect/results working out for just 45mins (which is the type of training i now do, through trail and error).

Am not an expert but i know the insanity work out is good for this, or speaking to a trainner at your local gym. These both cost money so you can also check out Mike Chang on you tube he provides workouts, explains the after burn effect better then i have and you can sign up to his workout plan although this does cost some money.

Revising your diet can never hurt, the last bit of getting the body youve always wanted is 80% diet and just 20% exercise. What your eating and when is key.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.
  • erickirb
    Options

Myth, this is 100% false. It eat 6-7 times/day but that is for my energy level, has nothing to do with metabolism.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options

back it up with HIIT and Core and Strength training....
    No data to support that metabolism "revs" up from multiple meals in comparison to 3 meals a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • erickirb
    Options

Lets not forget to eat up to or even above TDEE on Lifting days.
    ...Leptin regulation etc...

That will help you gain small amounts of muscle as you lose fat, I was just going into losing weight without losing muscle to lower BF%, as the weight loss tends to be faster (basic cut cycle, vs. your idea of body recomposition, which is more difficult, but very doable).
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Take your TDAA - 250 calories a day
    Lift heavy 2-3 times a week
    Cardio 2 times a week
    Be patient.
  • whiplashpcw
    whiplashpcw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    how are you measuring your body fat% a scale? calliper? waist measurements?

I have an impedance scale