Fitness during pregnancy

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I find it entertaining that the "pregnancy police" advice is coming from a man.

OP-talk to your doctor, but trust yourself in this as well. If it feels good to continue working out, by all means do it. I did yoga and swam throughout my pregnancy. I jogged before, but it became uncomfortable after the first trimester, so I stopped. Towards the end of the third trimester, I had to back off on my swimming laps because they triggered contrations for me. So my advice is to listen to your body and do what feels safe and right for you (and your baby).

This particular man has a *little bit* of experience with pregnant women ...
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it, but it's always good to ask questions to your midwife or obstetrician. That's what they get paid for! =)

Pregnancy is natural, and NOT a disability, so don't let anyone make you feel that way. Staying fit and eating well throughout your pregnancy will be beneficial to you when it matters most, LABOR! If nothing else, find ways to strengthen your back during your pregnancy. Good luck =)

But every pregnancy is different and what is OK for one woman may not be for another. Only her doctor knows if it's OK for this particular pregnant woman to do any particular exercise.

Right, and thanks for brining that up. My reply was based on a normal, low-risk pregnancy. There are lot of precautions to take once you are deemed "high-risk" by an OB or a MW.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it, but it's always good to ask questions to your midwife or obstetrician. That's what they get paid for! =)

Pregnancy is natural, and NOT a disability, so don't let anyone make you feel that way. Staying fit and eating well throughout your pregnancy will be beneficial to you when it matters most, LABOR! If nothing else, find ways to strengthen your back during your pregnancy. Good luck =)

Just because pregnancy is natural doesn't mean it its health proof from complications or gives a free pass that you can do whatever you want. There are certain exercises that can end up lowering the blood flow to the fetus. Its best to talk to your doctor.

Yes. My reply was based on a normal, low-risk pregnancy. I assumed that since she is asking for advice on this forum, that she has not been deemed "high-risk".
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    I find it entertaining that the "pregnancy police" advice is coming from a man.

OP-talk to your doctor, but trust yourself in this as well. If it feels good to continue working out, by all means do it. I did yoga and swam throughout my pregnancy. I jogged before, but it became uncomfortable after the first trimester, so I stopped. Towards the end of the third trimester, I had to back off on my swimming laps because they triggered contrations for me. So my advice is to listen to your body and do what feels safe and right for you (and your baby).
    Because men can't know things about women, we are super-duper mysterious.

The OB that delivered my daughter was a man =)
  • rml_16
    Options

Just because pregnancy is natural doesn't mean it its health proof from complications or gives a free pass that you can do whatever you want. There are certain exercises that can end up lowering the blood flow to the fetus. Its best to talk to your doctor.

Yes. My reply was based on a normal, low-risk pregnancy. I assumed that since she is asking for advice on this forum, that she has not been deemed "high-risk".
    Either way, she needs to ask her doctor. People ask a lot of health questions here that are not appropriate for an online forum.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Either way, she needs to ask her doctor. People ask a lot of health questions here that are not appropriate for an online forum.

I agree that when in doubt about something that may be serious, ask your certified caretaker! It's not a bad idea to chat about it, like she is doing here, either. But the ultimate decision should be made between her, her MW or OB, and whatever research she does on the topic. I still think that most women can benefit from having a strong back during labor. The trick is finding a way to acheive it without disrupting the pregnancy.
  • rml_16
    Options

I agree that when in doubt about something that may be serious, ask your certified caretaker! It's not a bad idea to chat about it, like she is doing here, either. But the ultimate decision should be made between her, her MW or OB, and whatever research she does on the topic. I still think that most women can benefit from having a strong back during labor. The trick is finding a way to acheive it without disrupting the pregnancy.

Oh, absolutely. When I was first pregnant, my doctor was feeling my belly. I have killer abs and always have (though now you can't actually see them) and he said I would have an easy/quick delivery because of it. 6 hours of labor and 20 minutes of pushing ... So, yeah! lol

But I still wouldn't decide on an exercise plan based on advice from here. I'm guessing her doc will OK it, but he should be the last word, not us.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

Oh, absolutely. When I was first pregnant, my doctor was feeling my belly. I have killer abs and always have (though now you can't actually see them) and he said I would have an easy/quick delivery because of it. 6 hours of labor and 20 minutes of pushing ... So, yeah! lol

But I still wouldn't decide on an exercise plan based on advice from here. I'm guessing her doc will OK it, but he should be the last word, not us.

That's AMAZING! I was the opposite. I fell into the "I'm preggo so I can't do anything" trap and had a very unhealthy nine months and a pretty traumatizing birthing experience =/ Since then, I've done so much research on child birth and one of the main consistencies I find is that women who eat healthy and stay fit during their pregnancies tend to have "easier" labors (lol at easy and labor in the same sentence.) Not to say that a healthy pregnancy can't end in a disasterous labor...
  • Ginsey31
    Ginsey31 Posts: 39
    Options
    Apologies, I didn't mean to sound so utterly condescending about the pregnancy police comment. It simply made me think of my husband, who claimed the title "pregnancy police" and proceeded to hand out ridiculous advice. I've known quite a few fantastic male OBs.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Apologies, I didn't mean to sound so utterly condescending about the pregnancy police comment. It simply made me think of my husband, who claimed the title "pregnancy police" and proceeded to hand out ridiculous advice. I've known quite a few fantastic male OBs.

My husband read "What to Expect When You're Expecting" from cover to cover. I didn't even read it! They try =) lol
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

My husband read "What to Expect When You're Expecting" from cover to cover. I didn't even read it! They try =) lol

The pregnancy police do not need any logic, reasons, facts, or anything. Your husband sounds like a great guy! The pregnancy police make no excuses. I read a few books too.

captain-hindsight-protest-miscarriage.jpg
  • CountryGirl84
    CountryGirl84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 weeks pregnancy and my DR said any exercises go for the first trimester as long as you keep it low impact, for me IE i can't run anymore and I can't ride horses but I can still do my at home exercises and small weights including squats and planks. IF any of the regular exercises cause my breathing to be labored I am not to do them.

as of the 2nd trimester I am not supposed to do anything that requires lying on my back.

That's what I know from my Dr...but I have also read conflicting reports on forums, I trust my Dr though.
  • mikeast
    mikeast Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I had an unhealthy pregnancy and trumatic birth last time so i am determined to have the opposite, Fingers crossed!

My midwife told me i can carry on doing anything that i did before but i have listened to my body and toned down the jumping around and stopped sit ups, can you train your abs into a bump???

Im quite lucky at circuit training as i have an antenatal instructor, a midwife and a nurse all the the same room with me!

Think i will do a some online research too as i have to go through about 3 people to even talk to a doctor at my surgery! nightmare!

Thanks again