Recipe for trout?

Hey Everyone

I'm a student, so have gone for the cheapest fish my local market recommended! Anyone got a nice, low calorie and cost-efficient recipe for trout?

Thanks!

Replies

• TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    You can coat it in Cornmeal and seasoning and pan fry it in light oil or bake it in foil with a little salt, pepper, lemon and onion and any herbs you might like (I know people who say rosemary or thyme but both of those herbs tend to give me indigestion so I never use them).

Thats how I like fish, cooked simply. Good luck!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    ^^What she said.

I've only had trout that was breaded and fried.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    My favorite way is this: Cut off the head and tail and clean really well with water. Lay out a piece of aluminum foil. Season the inside of the fish with your favorite seasoning (I like to use a little Mrs. Dash and some garlic) then thinly slice lemon and place them inside the fish. Now take 2 raw strips of bacon and place one on each side (outside) of the fish. You don't actually eat the bacon, it has 2 purposes though. One is to give the fish a little smoked flavor and the other is to keep it from sticking to the foil. You aren't going to eat the skin either so you don't have to worry about the grease from it. Wrap it up in the foil, then either bake (at 350) it or grill it until you can pull the meat easily from the bones.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    What type of trout is it? If it's rainbow, I'd season it and pan sear it. If it's steelhead, I'd throw it on the grill. If it's something else, I can't help because I think rainbow and steelhead are the only trout I've had.

But I've never tasted a fish that wasn't good pan seared, so when in doubt that's my go to method to cook fish.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    What type of trout is it? If it's rainbow, I'd season it and pan sear it. If it's steelhead, I'd throw it on the grill. If it's something else, I can't help because I think rainbow and steelhead are the only trout I've had.

But I've never tasted a fish that wasn't good pan seared, so when in doubt that's my go to method to cook fish.

Trout is my favorite fish to eat. All I ever do is pan sear it with a little butter and lemon juice(which has no calories).
    If you like a lot of lemon flavor(which I adore), you can use more lemon juice and less butter. Walmart sells giant bottles of lemon juice for cheap.
  • sums_net
    sums_net Posts: 24
    After cleaning the trout, apply chili powder, lemon juice, garlic, salt mixture inside and out. Marinate overnight or for few hours. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes on one side and then flip over for another 15 min... It turns out really moist and meat just comes out easily from bone.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    As others have said, trout is delicious when prepared simply...seasoned and pan fried. You can also make a coating of finely crushed pecans mixed with a bit of flour, then pan fry it. Delicious!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    I just use Chicago steak seasoning in the grinder from Weber.
    I use a litlte peanut oil on the flesh ,and sear the pink side lightly on medium heat in cast iron for about a minute.
    Then I toss it on the scales and throw it in a 400' oven for about 8 more minutes.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Pretty much all fish can be easily cooked by creating a tin foil parcel! A tiny bit of oil on the skin to stop it sticking, and then pretty much any herbs, vegetables or spices that you fancy. I love brown trout with lemon and dill, a teaspoon of butter or olive oil, some cherry tomatoes, asparagus and brocoli. Create a parcel with plenty of space in side, don't wrap it tight and then bake in a hot oven for about half an hour. The whole meal in one parcel... yum