Heart rate - what's too much?

Options
13»

Replies

• chenrytc2
    chenrytc2 Posts: 48
    Options
    ^^^ Thanks. I didn't want to get too far down in the weeds with how the muscles provide the energy source through ATP, creatine, creatinine, glycogen, blood oxygen levels, red/white muscle fibers. My intent was to show that short term, high intensity cardio can not be supported by what most of us want to lose - fat! lol

Thanks for keeping me (us) honest. That is why this site is so great, everyone is helping each other to achieve their goals. I freakin' love it!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    220-your age. Going above it you risk death.

Risk death?! Elaborate please. Before I got into better condition I could get my HR over 190 without much effort. I'm still here. By your numbers I shouldn't top 184, which I do nearly every time I take my bike out and do sprints.

220-age could give you the right answer but it's widely accepted as being wrong in the vast majority of cases.

Google "max heart rate calculator" and disregard that type of formula.

Insofar as high HR's causing a heart attack - again, not gonna happen. heavy physical stress can cause heart problems to manifest themselves but you can't cause an MI by your heart "revving too high".

You can get a variety of values for estimates of your max HR but if you want to find out what your max HR is, put on your running shoes and find out! :-)
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When I do Zumba for an hour it's no uncommon for my HR to get up into the 180's, but usually stays in the 160's and 170's...I am 28

Same here, I am 26 and I usually stay between 160-180 depending on what I am doing, even though the "chart" says my fatburning is 135 (wtf I am walking at a slower pace than my normal stride when I try to stay at 135)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and can easily get my HR up into the 180s during cardio without feeling uncomfortable. My resting rate is 58.
    This is me. (except my resting is 70). I'll look down and see that I'm at 170 and think nothing of it. (And I'm 47!)
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    So glad this question was asked!!! Bump!
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options

By this estimate, I should have been dead a few hundred times a year. I get into mid-190s every other day. Its not long sustained heart rate and it would be impossible for me to maintain that for more than 20 seconds, but it happens all the time.

What do I do to get that high heart rate? Insanity, or just running with my dog (Husky).

It's 220 minus your age. not 220!
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

By this estimate, I should have been dead a few hundred times a year. I get into mid-190s every other day. Its not long sustained heart rate and it would be impossible for me to maintain that for more than 20 seconds, but it happens all the time.

What do I do to get that high heart rate? Insanity, or just running with my dog (Husky).

It's 220 minus your age. not 220!
    Which makes mine 173. I was above that today. :happy: