I need to try something new!

kjllose
kjllose Posts: 948 Member
Hi,
I am going to hit the big 50 in February and would really like to lose weight by then, I've lost weight before but am findiing it harder to do as I get older and without a support system. So I thought I would give this a try. Of course I won't lose anything if I just sit in front of this computer so my messages might be a little short. I live in a rural Vermont town, I'm a school bus driver so I sit at my job and have no one to exercise with. Hope I can find someone in here to talk to.

Replies

• kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Hi,
    I am going to hit the big 50 in February and would really like to lose weight by then, I've lost weight before but am findiing it harder to do as I get older and without a support system. So I thought I would give this a try. Of course I won't lose anything if I just sit in front of this computer so my messages might be a little short. I live in a rural Vermont town, I'm a school bus driver so I sit at my job and have no one to exercise with. Hope I can find someone in here to talk to.
  • Hi,

Welcome! I am new myself and I am finding it really user friendly and a great new approach to counting calories and sticking to excersise. I am 45 and I would like to lose 15 1bs. I have been trying to do that for the last 5 years with very little success. I don't know if it's an age thing or a certain medication I'm on but it sure has been difficult. The big 50 will be here soon enough for me and I am really trying to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle. I can tell that the extra weight is affecting my knees, I know I have started getting osteoarthritis, and I have acid reflux problems now too, so it's not for just for vanity's sake -I want to be healthier and feel better! Good luck to you!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Good for you. I commend you on your job not everyone can drive a but :). You can do it though. You might try wearing a pedometer and see where you are now and increase it from there. Have a great day and take one step at a time.
    jltwedell@msn.com
  • Minerva
    Minerva Posts: 79 Member
    kjllose,
    Hi! I'm 49. Is that close enough? I'll be 50 in June. I have always had a bit of a weight challenge but menopause at 45 (20 pounds) and quitting smoking at 46 (30 pounds) have made the past few years particularily difficult weight wise. I have managed to lose 20 and am working on the next 30 (plus another 15)! When I turned 45 my daughter and I took a kick boxing class together at a Tae Kwon Do school close by. I thought I was gonna die! I stayed in a hot bath for 2 days afterwards. She didn't go back but I did. I found I could make new friends. I also started walking the dog around the block (15 minutes) 3 times a week. Now I'm a senior red belt testing for Black Belt in December, I run 3 miles a week 3 times a week and I've challenged my 19 year old son to a 4 mile run in September. My problem is I LIKE GOOD FOOD! So I'm working on controlling how much I eat . My bad cholesterol is kinda high and my Dad had a heart attack when he was 46 so if I can get my weight down I should be golden.
    I hope this helps because you are so worth the effort it takes to slim down and feel better and live longer!
  • hannah
    hannah Posts: 22 Member
    Hi everyone, I will also be 50 next year ekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, ok so now I’m going to start counting backwards, don’t care what anyone thinks . Anyway I started my a sit down job 2 years ago and put on 30 lbs. it's not hard to do as we all know, but enough is enough and I have really been in the mind set to do better for myself. One really good thing I did was cut out sweets, this is not easy but my theory is don't deprive yourself all together, by telling yourself no no no your mind will keep saying yes yes yes instead eat a small portion when you feel the need you will be surprised how satisfied you are . Now that I cut 99% of sweets out of my diet I am never as hungry as I use to be. Oh the 1% I just can’t give up is coffee creamer you know what I mean the international ones so good and at 40 calories a serving I allow myself that. I have not lost much at all in the way of lbs. yet ,but I have in clothing size, “inches”. I have a feeling that eating the 1,200 calories a day has something to do with my not dropping lbs’s. very fast , but I choose the most extreme weight reduction I could. I am sure I was use to eating well over 3,000 to 5,000 calories a day before I started this journey almost a month ago. I have also replaced potatoes with sweet potatoes, which I find very filling, this way I am replacing simple carbs with complex carbs. I stay away from products such as white rice , pasta “ that’s very difficult more so then sugar for me to do without ,but none the less”, and white breads, replacing them with mixed grain and wheat and so on. I also jog and walk almost every day for 30 to 40 minutes, tell you what I feel so much better, and those clothes I could not wear a month ago, I’m now getting into. You know I heard once that only 10% of the population is a size 0 what does that tell you yaaaaaaaaaaaa were the majority, so stay fit in the body your in. All in all I said it before I will say it again losing weight is a mind set, a life changing event so come on everyone we can do it. Get to the weight you feel good at, were all beautiful…
  • hannah
    hannah Posts: 22 Member
    Oh and yes I know there is some sugar in a sweet potatoe's :) Here is a relly good sight to see all the benifits though.....http://www.sweetpotato.org/content.php?display=nutrition