Using HRM for calories burned

Options
embclark
embclark Posts: 186 Member
So I am not sure if this is the right way to do it, but I find that my heart rate after exercising takes 3-5 minutes to drop back under 100. It gets as high as 170 or so with my current exercises and my resting is around 70-80.

But when I am done exercising, I keep the HRM on until my heartrate gets below 100. I figure I am like a pot roast, I still cook once I'm "out of the oven". Anyone else do this? Or does everyone just stop it after your last movement in that exercise?

Replies

• Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I keep mine on about 20minutes afterwards and get about 100 more calories burned. Your body keeps burning until the heart rate goes back down and sometimes it can take longer than 20minutes but I have to get in the shower and get up kids so that is about as long afterwards I can wear mine.
  • OSUgal03
    OSUgal03 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I stop mine right after. No real reason. I suppose I am still burning calories, but I guess those will be "extra" ones!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I usually keep stretching and stuff until my heart rate is lower and then stop the HRM and my workout. :-)
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I stop mine right after. No real reason. I suppose I am still burning calories, but I guess those will be "extra" ones!

I do the same!! Im currently doing Turbofire and i know for sure after HIIT workouts im burning up to 24hrs after!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    In order for the HRM's estimate to be reasonably accurate, oxygen exchange at the cellular level has to be high. As long as you're experiencing a significantly higher then normal exchange rate you can leave the HRM on.

And.... that's about where my knowledge ends, lol.

My educated guessing leads me to believe that as long as your breathing AND your HR are significantly higher than normal, you're O2 exchange rate is going to be elevated. So personally, I turn off my HRM once my HR drops below 140 (that's about 75% of my max HR) OR I'm no longer breathing heavy (which ever comes first).

Personally, I'd rather underestimate than over estimate.
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    With me doing Insanity I do not eat my calories back as I used there calculations as to how many calories to eat per day. I don't add my exercise but do post in my feed how many calories I burned that day.
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    It is true that you'll keep burning after a workout, but for me personally I stop it after the end of a workout, even before the stretches. I figure those can be "Extra" calories for me, i don't even keep track of them!