"Thrive" weight loss plan...

Options
Hi...
I recently spoke with someone who told me about Thrive. It's a weighloss plan and group meetings similar to Weight Watchers I think.
But they say they teach you to eat "real" foods. They do not follow a calorie amount but rather eat certain portions and combinations of foods from certain "categories". 6 or 7 categories I am told. 3 meals and one snack. Of course you have to pay to get their secret code of combinations and categories.

Has anyone done this? And what exactly are the categories and combinations?

Of course in this struggle to lose, and not losing enough.... I am searching for something that is real and sustainable and of course works.

If there is anyone out there who has tried it and is willing to share I would appriciate it.

Replies

• korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, sorry...looking forward to seeing responses though
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Thrive is just another mlm scam.
    Stay far away from mlm stuff. Its always a joke.
    For weight loss, all you need is a calorie deficit. There's no need for low quality- high priced mlm products, fad diets or gimmicks. The only people that actually support this stuff are the ones who profit from it.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Scam, scam, scammy scam scam.

What's your definition of "not losing enough"? Losing is still losing.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You don't need Thrive when MFP is free!! tons of very successful people have lost weight here!!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It is a bad idea to not count calories even if it is 'real' food, and not imaginary ones. Lots of relatively unprocessed foods can have unholy amount of calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi...
    I recently spoke with someone who told me about Thrive. It's a weighloss plan and group meetings similar to Weight Watchers I think.
    But they say they teach you to eat "real" foods. They do not follow a calorie amount but rather eat certain portions and combinations of foods from certain "categories". 6 or 7 categories I am told. 3 meals and one snack. Of course you have to pay to get their secret code of combinations and categories.

Of course in this struggle to lose, and not losing enough.... I am searching for something that is real and sustainable and of course works.

If there is anyone out there who has tried it and is willing to share I would appriciate it.

It will still be calorie control just packaged up in a different way to buy into

Some people thrive on public meetings and support and being weighed

Others don't

You need to decide for yourself whether this would be something you would happily pay for and stick with for life or whether you'd be happier just calorie counting, working out your own go-to foods and amending your diet until it feels natural

• xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hi...

That sounds like the Weight Watchers programme I did way back as a teenager in the mid 1990s. Sure it worked, I lost weight. I also lost weight with WW in 2012 on their Pro Points system. I gained weight both times when I stopped paying WW money. The bulk of the 155 lbs I have lost were a result of using MFP and cost me nothing but time and effort.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something real and sustainable, try sticking to your calorie limit via MFP or developing caloric awareness. These are tools that are free and will help you life-long.

I recommend these links:

http://www.bodyforwife.com/the-caloric-deficit-cheat-sheet/

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10201207/why-losing-weight-feels-so-effortless-for-me-this-time-around

Best wishes, and well done for seeking advice.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Aside from it being a scam, the premise itself seems unnecessarily complicated. Why bother with 6 or 7 categories and having to stick to 3 meals and 1 snack, when you can eat whatever you want in any combinations, as many or as few meals and snacks as you like (as long as you stay below your goal) just by using MFP?

Also, consider what would happen once you stop the plan? Would you stick to their system long after you'd stopped paying for it? If it's this complicated you probably wont stick to it and may end up gaining the weight back, even if the plan works initially.