Ideal Body Water %?

Options
Is there an ideal body water %? My scale measures this, and I know it is useful to compare before and after exercise to make sure I rehydrate sufficiently. But is there a percentage I should be aiming for or that indicates a healthy or unhealthy hydration level? I'm usually 51-52% first thing in the morning.

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Is there an ideal body water %? My scale measures this, and I know it is useful to compare before and after exercise to make sure I rehydrate sufficiently. But is there a percentage I should be aiming for or that indicates a healthy or unhealthy hydration level? I'm usually 51-52% first thing in the morning.

I wouldn't try to scientifically manipulate your body's water %. You're better off just drinking after exercise and whenever you're thirsty! Your body will take care of it's own water %. If you get high blood pressure or kidney disease in the future, then you start worrying about your body's water %.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options

I wouldn't try to scientifically manipulate your body's water %. You're better off just drinking after exercise and whenever you're thirsty! Your body will take care of it's own water %. If you get high blood pressure or kidney disease in the future, then you start worrying about your body's water %.

Good advice
    Ideal body water is mainly a sign of aging and has correlation with testosterone levels. Men typically have higher percentages and body water % decreases with age. Increasing muscle mass also increases body water % since muscle is mostly water.