Minimal equipment... what to do?

Options
So I just decided to get healthy again, gain some weight, gain some muscle... etc...

I loaded up on supplements, have begun eating the RIGHT way, increased protein intake, carbs + calories (I've ALWAYS been a hard gainer)... I gained about 30 lbs. just eating in the first 4 weeks...

Here's the issue - My equipment setup at home is VERY minimal.. i have use of ONE dumbell... thats it. Can't quite afford a gym membership at this point, and to buy all of the stuff I would need to efficiently build muscle is even MORE expensive. I'm focusing primarily on upper body for now... any tips?

I have made some muscular gains in the last 2 weeks with just the dumbell, but I feel like I'm short changing myself with out more equipment.... any help!!!

Replies

• Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Two of the gallon milk containers filled with 8 pounds of water would give you two eight pound weights with handles. I guess you could fill them with sand for more weight.:smile:
  • hooligan777
    Options
    lol thats a good idea... i like it.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Check out exercise tv there are multitudes of exercises that you can do using your own body weight. http://exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/
    You can use cans of food as weights also, a broom stick, pretty much anything--I sometimes use my 18 mo old for bicep curls--he loves it and then I don't feel as though I am ignoring him.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :wink: I went online at Walmart.com and ordered Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred to work out to and it was only $7.91 with tax and no shipping charges because I did the ship to store! I have heard nothing but wonderful reviews on this plus I watched some clips of the video she had available and it looks tough but work your whold body for great results!:wink:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I had bought a set of these adjustable weights at Targe last week $50 each. They go from 5 to 25 lbs. I use them in conjunction with a exersize ball.

http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-25-Pound-Adjustable-Single-Dumbbell/dp/B000VDTFZ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1247076034&sr=1-3

Also things like 100 pushup challenge (google it) or 400 squat challenge might work for you.
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ive ordered many dvds from netflix, also try you-tube.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Crazy as it sounds - if you have a good cable tv set up - there are a bunch of things that are avialable on Demand for Free, they change them quite often but its definately something to look into.

I also have a 40lb pup that i try to carry as much as possible, especially when i go upstairs and down stairs.
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options
    you could check out your local library for some exercise dvd's to incorporate variety while you use the milk jugs or cans. Also, I've found my weights and other exercise equipment at the Goodwill. I've got a pair of 5lb wrist weights (to use with the Wii Active) for just $3.00. Picked up a exercise ball with dvd for $3.99 also a lot of video (still own a vcr) for .99.

tricep dips on a chair or push ups on steps is good too.

www.sparkpeople.com is a great site with a lot of desktop workouts. Hope this helps!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Run - it's free it's fun!

Water bottles, milk jugs are great improv for weights.

Pringles can filled with rocks...
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    So I just decided to get healthy again, gain some weight, gain some muscle... etc...

I loaded up on supplements, have begun eating the RIGHT way, increased protein intake, carbs + calories (I've ALWAYS been a hard gainer)... I gained about 30 lbs. just eating in the first 4 weeks...

Here's the issue - My equipment setup at home is VERY minimal.. i have use of ONE dumbell... thats it. Can't quite afford a gym membership at this point, and to buy all of the stuff I would need to efficiently build muscle is even MORE expensive. I'm focusing primarily on upper body for now... any tips?

I have made some muscular gains in the last 2 weeks with just the dumbell, but I feel like I'm short changing myself with out more equipment.... any help!!!

Just be sensible about what you are doing.

Gaining 30 pounds in 4 weeks, and I don't care how you do it, is not healthy to your body. The dramatic increase and stress on your organs is more than people realize.

To your question, lots of people overlook the fact that you don't need to be lifting anything to gain muscle. If you have a railing (that's real sturdy) you can do curls with it. Of course you wont move it, but its the resistance that matters for muscle growth. Flip around, grab the same railing with your hands behind your head palms up, now you're doing tricept extensions without the extension. Use walls as resistance instead of weights, anything around the house that doesn't move.

I've used chairs for shoulder exercises by holding them with both hands and lifting with my arms straight out.... Just some ideas, for free!!!