New and need support.

Options
I am 28 years old and in the last 3 years have gained 40 lbs. I have slumped into a depression and am very unhappy with the way I have let things get. I feel very alone in my battle to get into shape. I have no one around me to support me, go walking with, encourage good eating, etc. It has been very frustrating. Getting on the scale today at 170, I about lost it.

Any support and encourgament is very welcomed. I plan on tracking my food and excerise and have decided today to finally do something different. I cannot live like this anymore. I hope to get connnected with some of you and tackle our journey's together.......thanks!

Replies

• jensocalgirl
    Options
    Hello and welcome! If you're looking for some support and a buddy when it comes to working out I recommend a kick boxing class, yoga class or anything where you'll see the same people a few times a week. Before you know it you're going out with them and supporting each other when it comes to healthy fun! Good luck and you can do it!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!!! Best of luck on your new healthy lifestyle. Remember that it took 3 years to put the weight on, don't get discouraged when it doesn't come off in 3 weeks :)
  • bsmartt
    bsmartt Posts: 6
    Options
    I know what you mean bout gaining 40 pounds in three yrs. I put on 50 in four and I'm 26. I finally got tired of not liking myself and made a change. I email my meal plan's everyday to a woman which holds me accountable, and stated making healthy desicions. I used to eat whatever I wanted, whenever, hince the 50 lbs.I've been doing this 3 months and I have now lost around 15 lbs( I'm not sure I only check myweight once a month so I don't stress) and since I started to take care of myself I have began to CARE about myself. I joined at the YMCA (they have a finacial asstitance program that is very useful for a poor college student like myself) ans I try to work out at LEAST 3x's a week(which let's me eat more). This site has been a real eyeopener on how many calories really are in things. I try to always log before I eat so I am not surprised, or at least read labels. I'm not trying to lose it super fast, this is more of a lifestyle change than a diet for me.
  • nightmistresskittie
    Options
    Hi! I am 20, since meeting my husband I have gained about 80lbs in the past 5 years. I decided enough is enough once I could no longer cross my legs. If you need a buddy I think im a good one :)
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I am 28 years old and in the last 3 years have gained 40 lbs. I have slumped into a depression and am very unhappy with the way I have let things get. I feel very alone in my battle to get into shape. I have no one around me to support me, go walking with, encourage good eating, etc. It has been very frustrating. Getting on the scale today at 170, I about lost it.

Any support and encourgament is very welcomed. I plan on tracking my food and excerise and have decided today to finally do something different. I cannot live like this anymore. I hope to get connnected with some of you and tackle our journey's together.......thanks!

Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou: You don't have to worry about not getting support here, you will get TONS! :laugh: :smile:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As for exercise, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also recently aquired the Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :happy:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • alisalagoe
    alisalagoe Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful tips. I look forward to talking with you all in the future.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site if you don't already. I :heart: it here. This site is so motivational, helpful, supportive, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you that I hope you have a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • carisarae8569
    Options
    im here too :bigsmile:
  • alisalagoe
    alisalagoe Posts: 16
    Options
    Just checking in. I am loving the website. I have been working out well and eating good. I look forward to seeing some results.
  • firefly13
    firefly13 Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm 22 and gained about 30 pounds over the 4 years of college. I'm looking to tone everything back up and drop some jiggles. Just found the site today and I'm hoping to find an accountability partner perhaps. Or a few... :-)
  • katealim
    katealim Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm 26 and also gained about 40 lbs. over the last 3 years. Welcome to MFP...this site is amazing and it will help you lose the weight. I was also really getting depressed when I decided to do something about it...I didn't feel comfortable going out with friends or heaven forbid, (wearing something comfortable in the summer)..you know anything that doesn't cover me as well as a parka might. Now I'm starting to fit back into some of my fav. clothes and I'm feeling great. I have a ways to go yet but I know I'll get there and stay there for good.