Swimwear for stretch marks

pannellkat
pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I see several ladies on this site that have been doomed for life with stretchmarks on their stomach from pregnancy or whatever your reason may be. Summer is here ladies. I am losing weight and feeling more confident but when it comes to swimwear I am not having any luck!!

I consider myself to be somewhat young (34) and I want to look fashionable and sexy while I'm at the beach or poolside but what type of bathing suit/swimwear should I be looking for that is still sexy, cute, fashionable but will hide my horrible deep tummy stretchmarks?

No matter how much weight I lose or how flat my stomach is, unfortunately I will never be able to get into a bikini because of my horrible marks (makes me sad) I'm on staycation next week and will be hitting up the beach and pools so any suggestions quick, would be great!!! Thanks.

Replies

• hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    I see several ladies on this site that have been doomed for life with stretchmarks on their stomach from pregnancy or whatever your reason may be. Summer is here ladies. I am losing weight and feeling more confident but when it comes to swimwear I am not having any luck!!

I consider myself to be somewhat young (34) and I want to look fashionable and sexy while I'm at the beach or poolside but what type of bathing suit/swimwear should I be looking for that is still sexy, cute, fashionable but will hide my horrible deep tummy stretchmarks?

No matter how much weight I lose or how flat my stomach is, unfortunately I will never be able to get into a bikini because of my horrible marks (makes me sad) I'm on staycation next week and will be hitting up the beach and pools so any suggestions quick, would be great!!! Thanks.
    they have cute tankinis and they even have very cute and very flattering one pieces now

...thank god summer hasnt reached maine yet
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    Trust me... I feel your pain. I have terrible stretchmarks from carrying 2 - 8lb baby boys. I have been a slave to tankinis and such. but as of this year, I bought 2...yes 2 bikinis! And I plan on wearing them simply because I have always wanted to be able to wear one but have been too self conscious to do so.

I am 42 years old and have come to the realization that I can also look cute in a bikini. I have a flat, semi-defined stomach and besides, if no one wants to look at them, so be it, let them look somewhere else.

It is time for me to stop being self conscious and worrying about what everyone else thinks. I have worked hard and I want to show it off and I think you should too!
  • ambee0803
    ambee0803 Posts: 89 Member
    I have them really bad now too. You could try those one pieces that have the sides out. Those are cute and would hide your stretch marks
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I have a really cute one piece that's very 20's inspired. I love being able to buy vintage style swim suits...they cover you in all the right places.

www.unique-vintage.com has some great ones (they are pretty pricy though).
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    a monokini will cover your tummy but the back is open as if you have a bikini on.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Trust me... I feel your pain. I have terrible stretchmarks from carrying 2 - 8lb baby boys. I have been a slave to tankinis and such. but as of this year, I bought 2...yes 2 bikinis! And I plan on wearing them simply because I have always wanted to be able to wear one but have been too self conscious to do so.

I am 42 years old and have come to the realization that I can also look cute in a bikini. I have a flat, semi-defined stomach and besides, if no one wants to look at them, so be it, let them look somewhere else.

It is time for me to stop being self conscious and worrying about what everyone else thinks. I have worked hard and I want to show it off and I think you should too!
    My husband is with you on this one. He actually got me into a bikini a couple weekends ago on a beach weekend. I felt so self-conscious at first. Having a base tan kind of help because it hid the stretch marks a little. But then I got on the beach with woman from all walks of life, shapes, form, all strutting their stuff in their bikinis and it made me feel like I wasn't standing out. I admired their confidence and by the end was starting to strut a little with them (ok, maybe not strut, but I was at least walking without a towel wrapped around me).
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    My stretch marks are really, really bad, but I've also decided that I'm still going to wear a two-piece this year. I've wanted to wear one my whole life and never did because of my weight! I'm fairly thin and in-shape now and I want to show it off, stretch-marks or not. My swimsuit does have the little shorts bottom and comes up a little higher on my belly (just under my belly-button), so I'm not showing the worst of them (they are several inches wide on my lower abdomen).
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    a monokini will cover your tummy but the back is open as if you have a bikini on.

I can't even wear one of those...my stretch marks go around my sides. :grumble:
  • i have the same problem and recently just bought one of the one pieces with the sides cut out and it hides it all for me!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    OK have you beed to the beach lately - there are people there that I really feel like should not wear a bikini....everytime I go I see it and think it BUT I've come to realize - they have some super self confidence that a lot of us do lack - so you go girls in rockin' yo' bikinis!!!!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I've seen one pieces before that have blocked out solid sections like a bikini, then a sheer material for the rest of the one piece. The sheer would hide the marks.
  • euphoria11
    euphoria11 Posts: 49
    LUCKY LUCKY!!!
    Living in southern Louisiana, it has been summer since probably April! haha! Been dealing with weather in the triple digits last week!!:cry:
    I can't wait until the fall!!!

they have cute tankinis and they even have very cute and very flattering one pieces now

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    I have a really cute one piece that's very 20's inspired. I love being able to buy vintage style swim suits...they cover you in all the right places.

I was just flipping though that site. I could easily drop a paycheck (or five) there. The clothes are beautiful!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat

I was just flipping though that site. I could easily drop a paycheck (or five) there. The clothes are beautiful!

I make a lot of my own dresses, skirts, and pants...I can't make shirts for the life of me and I'm not dare gonna try to make a swimsuit.
    Also...try etsy.com I can spend hours on there looking for ideas.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    LUCKY LUCKY!!!
    Living in southern Louisiana, it has been summer since probably April! haha! Been dealing with weather in the triple digits last week!!:cry:
    I can't wait until the fall!!!

lol im the opposite i live in maine and have been waiting for summer to finally come ...its july and i think the warmest day we've had has been in the high 70's...coldest in july was prob 50 :( (night time of course) but still lol i've been wearing sweatshirts hahaha
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    I don't know what they are called.. but its a 2 piece and the top is almost like a halter top but is very nice. If you have them on your legs too you can get the bottoms that are kinda like shorts or have a little skirt attached to them. I wish I could show you a pic of mine so you could see what it looks like...
  • JoyousMaximus

I make a lot of my own dresses, skirts, and pants...I can't make shirts for the life of me and I'm not dare gonna try to make a swimsuit.

I wish I could sew. My mom is really good but I am horrid. I can barely sew curtains. Those damn straight lines are hard.

DO you use patterns or make your own?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat

I wish I could sew. My mom is really good but I am horrid. I can barely sew curtains. Those damn straight lines are hard.

DO you use patterns or make your own?

I use patterns...if not my stuff would probably come out lopsided. LOL. My mom taught me to sew when I was little. It is something that many people cannot do now and I'm proud to still be able to make my own clothes and be able to fix a hem, patch up holes...ect. I almost never take anything to a seamstress unless I can't figure how to to do it.
  • JoyousMaximus
    I use patterns...if not my stuff would probably come out lopsided. LOL. My mom taught me to sew when I was little. It is something that many people cannot do now and I'm proud to still be able to make my own clothes and be able to fix a hem, patch up holes...ect. I almost never take anything to a seamstress unless I can't figure how to to do it.

I can do things like fix a button, hem, and patch holes but I'm seriously considering having my mom show me how to do a simple pattern next time I visit. My style tends to be more classic so most my favorite clothes are really expensive.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat

I can do things like fix a button, hem, and patch holes but I'm seriously considering having my mom show me how to do a simple pattern next time I visit. My style tends to be more classic so most my favorite clothes are really expensive.

I'm Goth and love Victorian clothes...so I either have to spend a lot of $$$ or I have to make it myself. Gloomth.com has the styles that I tend to wear. At work I usually stick to pencil skirts and blouses (very rockabilly inspired and of course usually black/cream/jewel tones).
This discussion has been closed.