Question about BMR/TDEE/Eat more, weigh less

Options
124»

Replies

• Whissy
    Whissy Posts: 40
    Options
    Because i have history of ED I have been logging for a long time and one day after a gain i decided to cut down on the crap! Surely creating the 3500 defecit through exercise is enough for 1lb a week but the food defecit increases that loss?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Because i have history of ED I have been logging for a long time and one day after a gain i decided to cut down on the crap! Surely creating the 3500 defecit through exercise is enough for 1lb a week but the food defecit increases that loss?

At that point the deficit is usually too great and the body does things that prevents the math from working out like you'd expect.

Or it does for a bit, but you discover it was muscle mass being used for energy, and that makes it worse overall in the long run, less muscle, slower than needed metabolism, skinny but higher % of fat, flabby.

If you literally do have about 3500 cal weekly of exercise burn, then eating at non-exercise maintenance, and letting exercise create the deficit, would be best.
    But for a mere 4lbs to lose, or I'm betting with history of ED, more likely, you'd rather lose some fat and gain some muscle, that is too great of a deficit too.

You should select an activity level one above the one that applies, Lightly Active probably applies, so one higher at Active.
    Select goal loss of Maintenance.
    And now log your exercise and calories. And leave that much in green each day, whatever you worked out and are given credit for, leave that much in green.
    When you click Finish Diary, it'll tell you in 5 weeks what to expect.

Now you can exercise your 3500 calories, and do your weight lifting to get some muscle back from past problems, and look healthy again.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    HEY Hey!
    I'm to tired to comment tonight but awesome work flying this flag!

BTW Watboy contacted me today.
    Dropped from 25% BF down to 19% in 6weeks on my numbers.
    Awesome stuff happens when you realize it isn't just calories in vs calories out but hormones up vs hormones down!
    =D

HelloitsDan- I've seen your name around a bit!

Can you clarify what you mean by "hormones in, hormones out"? You lost me on that one.

I am 32, female, 5'1"
    I started out (in November) eating MFP's standard short woman calorie goal of 1200. Yeah, great, had some success for awhile. Short plateau in February or so, and upped to 1400 cals.

Now i am fluctuating in a 6lb range since early April. I increased my calories in May, but i could still really use some help. I am not sure if i am eating too much for me or not enough.

Current weight is 146-150lbs. Goal weight is who knows what, but on the fat2fit site, i entered 120lbs.

Fat2Fit gives me a BMR of 1362-1449, depending on method used.

For lightly active, i should eat 1825, moderate 2057

My workouts are now 1.5 hours Tuesday (bootcamp/crossfit) and 1 hour on Thursday (Strength or cardio kickboxing class) 45 min Friday (bootcamp) and 30min-60min on Saturday (jog/walk) That is fairly consistent. My HRM seems to give me slightly lower cal burns than others think i should be getting for my workouts, i hit over 400 for Tuesday but otherwise it is more in the 300-350 range and 170 or so for strength class.

Can anyone help me out? I am so ready to bust through this plateau. I dont eat super clean, but i aim for 90grams of protein a day and try to make wise choices. I have not been logging consistently on weekends lately.

Thanks.

Edited to add: my daily cal goal was set at 1800 and i recently dropped it down to 1680 for fear that i was eating too much. Yes, 1680 is basically a number i pulled out of the sky, thus why i need some guidance:)

At lower body fat it becomes a hormone balancing act to lose more fat.

The body detects that you are at optimal fat stores JUST IN CASE THAT FAMINE COMES ALONG.....
    Right?
    So ppl who have excess fat, men its above 20% and women its above 25%, will have a harder time losing weight in a linear fashion.
    If we want to get leaner or even super lean, we have to play games to trick the body into releasing, oxidizing and mobilizing what fat we have left.
    Keep in mind that women who drop lower than 15% and men who drop lower than 8% could develop severe hormone imbalances.
    For women you could lose your monthly cycle and develop a beard!!!!!

JK!

So instead of just cutting calories like you did at 30% body fat, youll need to start carb/calorie cycling to keep leptin and other hormones in check and signal to the body that "HEY! I'm not gonna starve!"

Things that work in this instance?
    Lean Gains Protocol.
    Lyle Mcdonalds Stubborn Fat Protocol.
    Lyle McDonalds Flexible Diet Strategy.

Personally i'm trying to get to 10% BF then slow bulk in hopes of minimizing fat gains while in the bulk.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I was also told not to exercise so much. He said try about 3 times per week, burning no more than 400 calories. And if I need to do more, take a walk or a leisurely bike ride.
    ]

Can I ask who told you this and why? I'm just curious where the 3 times per week and o more than 400 calories came from. Do you lift weights as well or only do cardio?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I was also told not to exercise so much. He said try about 3 times per week, burning no more than 400 calories. And if I need to do more, take a walk or a leisurely bike ride.
    ]

Can I ask who told you this and why? I'm just curious where the 3 times per week and o more than 400 calories came from. Do you lift weights as well or only do cardio?

Sounds like stuff I tell my clients.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes - it's some of what you said in a PM the other day.

I do lift - but not very much (weight-wise). I use 5 -8 pound free weights and resistance bands right now.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Yes - it's some of what you said in a PM the other day.

I do lift - but not very much (weight-wise). I use 5 -8 pound free weights and resistance bands right now.

Starting out light is fine as long as you are progressing.
    Next week be sure to lift heavier.
    Dont kill yourself!

If you follow the Stronglifts program to the letter, theres no reason you shouldnt be squatting above 200lbs in 12 weeks.
    Minnie Mouse weight produce Minnie Mouse results.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Why don't you up 100 calories a day?

When you make the jump give it 4 weeks to regulate. Put away the scale. You will notice after about 1-2 weeks your insanity routine gets easier, you will have BOUNDS more energy. Then the weight loss should follow. Remember that if you set your goal to your TDEE that you DO NOT eat exercise calories.

I went from a stalled diet at 1700 calories and P90, to 2550 calories with heavy lifting. I have since lost 3 lbs and inches off my waist and hips.

I was thinking of setting my goal to 1860 but if i do that do you think I should eat my calories back?

On the days you workout I would stay around 1860, that sounds good to start with if you're trying to lose 20 pounds. I'd give that a good 6 weeks and see how you're doing.
  • cevans_rr
    cevans_rr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump to take it all in!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    HEY Hey!
    I'm to tired to comment tonight but awesome work flying this flag!

BTW Watboy contacted me today.
    Dropped from 25% BF down to 19% in 6weeks on my numbers.
    Awesome stuff happens when you realize it isn't just calories in vs calories out but hormones up vs hormones down!
    =D

HelloitsDan- I've seen your name around a bit!

Can you clarify what you mean by "hormones in, hormones out"? You lost me on that one.

I am 32, female, 5'1"
    I started out (in November) eating MFP's standard short woman calorie goal of 1200. Yeah, great, had some success for awhile. Short plateau in February or so, and upped to 1400 cals.

Now i am fluctuating in a 6lb range since early April. I increased my calories in May, but i could still really use some help. I am not sure if i am eating too much for me or not enough.

Current weight is 146-150lbs. Goal weight is who knows what, but on the fat2fit site, i entered 120lbs.

Fat2Fit gives me a BMR of 1362-1449, depending on method used.

For lightly active, i should eat 1825, moderate 2057

My workouts are now 1.5 hours Tuesday (bootcamp/crossfit) and 1 hour on Thursday (Strength or cardio kickboxing class) 45 min Friday (bootcamp) and 30min-60min on Saturday (jog/walk) That is fairly consistent. My HRM seems to give me slightly lower cal burns than others think i should be getting for my workouts, i hit over 400 for Tuesday but otherwise it is more in the 300-350 range and 170 or so for strength class.

Can anyone help me out? I am so ready to bust through this plateau. I dont eat super clean, but i aim for 90grams of protein a day and try to make wise choices. I have not been logging consistently on weekends lately.

Thanks.

Edited to add: my daily cal goal was set at 1800 and i recently dropped it down to 1680 for fear that i was eating too much. Yes, 1680 is basically a number i pulled out of the sky, thus why i need some guidance:)

At lower body fat it becomes a hormone balancing act to lose more fat.

The body detects that you are at optimal fat stores JUST IN CASE THAT FAMINE COMES ALONG.....
    Right?
    So ppl who have excess fat, men its above 20% and women its above 25%, will have a harder time losing weight in a linear fashion.
    If we want to get leaner or even super lean, we have to play games to trick the body into releasing, oxidizing and mobilizing what fat we have left.
    Keep in mind that women who drop lower than 15% and men who drop lower than 8% could develop severe hormone imbalances.
    For women you could lose your monthly cycle and develop a beard!!!!!

JK!

So instead of just cutting calories like you did at 30% body fat, youll need to start carb/calorie cycling to keep leptin and other hormones in check and signal to the body that "HEY! I'm not gonna starve!"

Things that work in this instance?
    Lean Gains Protocol.
    Lyle Mcdonalds Stubborn Fat Protocol.
    Lyle McDonalds Flexible Diet Strategy.

Personally i'm trying to get to 10% BF then slow bulk in hopes of minimizing fat gains while in the bulk.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying, this is very helpful. I will keep that all in mind when i do get to a lower BF%. Currently i am 31.5-32%. The hormone stuff makes sense!!
    Any advice on what my calorie intake should be, given my numbers listed above?