dietitian notes

Options
I have been suffering from extreme thirst and insomnia for that last 6 months so I went to the doctor to make sure that nothing was wrong. They found that I have an electrolyte imbalance, and recommended me to see a dietitian. While I have been waiting to see her, I started added more potassium into my diet that caused my weight to go up. Not a good solution so last night was the night to see the dietitian and here are some of the notes. Not these are recommendations for me based on my blood work and my workout level. These may not work for you, but I would like to share.

1. Change my diet to a 35% carbs, 35% protein, 30% fat ratio.
2. Make sure that every meal has no more then 35% carbs. These are not just day totals these are per meal totals.
3. None of the following foods in the diet - White Flour/rice, Potatoes (sweet and white), corn, peas, beets, carrots, dried fruits, juices, and bananas.
4. Unlimited whole vegetables unless they are on the do not eat list.
5. No carbs without a protein - need to figure out what to have with beer!
6. Eat mostly protein before a workout and after. Very low carbs around my workout (not what my coach says).

Since my hormones are changing with age, my body is not able to process the carbs like it use to. The high carb diet was stealing the water and storing sugar and salt leaving me with the electrolyte imbalance causing my other symptoms. My homework until our next appointment is to start eating at the new macros and to track how each meal makes me feel so we can determine the correct ratios for me and my workout.

Now a question for all you MFP friends, what are good high protein snacks that I can take with me backpacking and cycling? I am a vegetarian so all meat is out, but I do eat eggs and dairy.

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    nuts
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Any another thoughts?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    nuts

Are you commenting on the food or the recommendations? :laugh:
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Well the obvious solution is to stop being a vegetarian! : )

Perhaps try to sneak in a few more grams of protein with your carbs from the grains like quinoa, millet, and barely. Beans also work for that.
    As stated above greek yogurt is a great source, as well as low fat cheese (I like the Trader Joes reduced fat/skim string cheese sticks). Whey protein is very popular these days so there are many bars and drinks on the market now filled with whey protein.

With my food sensitivities I usually blend my own smoothes and protein drinks to bring along on hikes/trail runs. Throw in some chia seeds and it is an amino powerhouse!