"big boned"/"solid" women

Options

Replies

• Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I CALL IT THICK... SAME THING. MY GOAL IS 180-175. I'M SOOOO DAMN CLOSE! FRIEND ME :)
  • Tcfranklin
    Tcfranklin Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi ..love All your post on Big Boned/Solid.
    I started at 227, am currently at 164.. have a goal of 159..( just so I can say I'm under 160).. Have always been big and talked myself out of losing weight because I didnt think it would look right on me or thought I wasn't meant to be skinny/ thin... which I am not by any means... but I know for a fact it can be done... Because I DID IT!!!

Feel free you add me.. I still need support and encouragement and would love to encourage others!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I CALL IT THICK... SAME THING. MY GOAL IS 180-175. I'M SOOOO DAMN CLOSE! FRIEND ME :)
    You have lost 230lbs? That is so incredible!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options

I know! Wow. You're amazing!
  • 1Kristine1
    Options

I know! Wow. You're amazing!
    What an inspiration, I think my brain just told me to suck it up and stop feeling sorry for myself baha. 30lbs is nothing compared to that. Wow.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wonder if big boned/thick is directly proportional to bf%. I have generally been bigger.....more muscular and thicker.......more bf too. I think for me (and likely many other people). You think you are more muscular and "thicker" than you really are. How many people are complaining about being thick at a low bf%? just curious.....not trying to call anyone out in particular.
  • ladee86
    ladee86 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I'm Raven and this is the group for me. Please add me. I'm a great motivator and need motivation myself.

Thanks!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think the wrist test is the easiest way to tell!

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

Just as a fair warning, if you are overweight then this test is going to lose accuracy. Sure, your wrists don't hold a ton of fat but there is still fat there. I was initially "large" framed but after losing almost 20% of my body weight my wrists are down to 7.5" and may get even smaller once I get to my goal weight. Right now I'm considered right on the borderline of a normal frame and a large frame (if I increase measurement by even .05" it says large framed).

I am a bit weird. I have a small to medium frame (via wrist and ankle size) with extra muscle (I have muscular legs and arms, my calves won't get smaller than 14.5" unless I start losing muscle matter what). Body Fat percentage is probably your best bet.

Based on this, I am aiming for about 165.

For me, 180 was 10-12, so I think 165ish should get me to goal of wearing 8-10. Lower than that is most likely impossible, as my legs won't get smaller unless I lose muscle.
  • smwier
    smwier Posts: 1
    Options
    I am too a big bone solid girl, I am 5"11 currently 240lbs, biggest I have every been.. I want to return to around 200lbs, and according to my doctor that is my perfect weight considering my size and large frame. I would love to be added to the group as well. Thanks in advacne.
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    I sometimes wonder if big boned/thick is directly proportional to bf%. I have generally been bigger.....more muscular and thicker.......more bf too. I think for me (and likely many other people). You think you are more muscular and "thicker" than you really are. How many people are complaining about being thick at a low bf%? just curious.....not trying to call anyone out in particular.
    I was skeptical as well. However, I don't think wrist size really changes all that much. I am 166lbs and my wrist size is "large" apparently. I think as long as you don't use the excuse of being "big-boned" affect your weight loss I don't see it as a problem. Your body type may just be suited to a few extra lbs compared to someone that is smaller framed. I know I will likely never weigh 120Lbs and that is fine with me, I would probably look like I wasted away. But 120 is the low range number for my height according to BMI.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options

I was lucky enough to have a DEXA scan done at the start of my journey, and I will have another one in 5 weeks. This gave me accurate numbers and told me that while obese, I am not as obese as most women at my height who weigh 226lbs. Most women my height do not have as much muscle as I do. That is a fact. For me, when I'm at a healthy weight for my frame, I will have a healthy BF% of 20-25%. Right now that's somewhere between 165-180lbs. (I know this will change as I go.) But at my height I should be 145lbs according to the chart. My extra muscle and consequently high LBM are what makes me "thick" since they result in a higher weight than normal for my height.
  • Jaidee1979
    Jaidee1979 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi! May I be added to this group also? I'm large framed as well.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I am too a big bone solid girl, I am 5"11 currently 240lbs, biggest I have every been.. I want to return to around 200lbs, and according to my doctor that is my perfect weight considering my size and large frame. I would love to be added to the group as well. Thanks in advacne.

You're about the same height as my new sister in law (not sure of her weight, but can't be far off from yours). In spite of her height, she seems to have pretty small bones, though. Her ring size is only about a 6 or 7 and she has disproportionately short fingers (my 15 yr old sister is only 5'4" and their hands are almost exactly the same size). Because of this, it's hard to say what her best weight would be. I'm guessing between 180-200lbs would probably put her at a size 10-ish. Total guess, though.

FYI, my brother is 6'1" and 280ish lbs. We're all really curious to see how their children are going to turn out physically. LOL
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm also large framed. 5'8 and my goal weight is around 155. Please feel free to add me :)
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think the wrist test is the easiest way to tell!

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

Just as a fair warning, if you are overweight then this test is going to lose accuracy. Sure, your wrists don't hold a ton of fat but there is still fat there. I was initially "large" framed but after losing almost 20% of my body weight my wrists are down to 7.5" and may get even smaller once I get to my goal weight. Right now I'm considered right on the borderline of a normal frame and a large frame (if I increase measurement by even .05" it says large framed).

Don't qualify to be in this group. :-( According to this, I have a small frame. 5'2" & wrist is 5.9" Oh well... Have a great day everyone! :-D

Edit: wrists are that small even as over-weight as I am... Wonder how small they will be when I get to where I want to be? Looking forward to finding out! :-D
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I think I fit this. I don't know if I'm measuring correctly or not, but I don't think I've ever been able to get my fingers around my wrist. I've never been tiny. I will never be tiny. I had one doctor tell me 170 would be a good weight for me. I think I went home and cried then... the reality that I will never be skinny had to sink in. But that's okay. I'm now fine with my curvacious muscular big boned body. Just working on getting healthier now and losing body fat.

Add me!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm consider large framed as well per my wrist measurement. I'm currently 5'4.5" and 156-160 lbs (depends on the day). I've not had a DEXA or bodpod so I can't say with confidence what my bodyfat is but according to calculators online with my measurements, I seem to be about 27-28% bodyfat yet. A lot of people would look at me and say I don't have "weight" to lose - but that is definitely not the case. I hide it well. ;) My fluffy tummy and upper thighs would beg to disagree with the nay-sayers. ;) BUT...I am able to wear a size 8 right now...so....I think a size 6 is definitely in my future. And if you would've told me I could potentially get into a size 4, I would've laughed at you. I still might laugh at you. But if I get my bodyfat down to where I ultimately want to be - that size 4 might actually happen. And by all standards I am large framed. So don't sell yourselves short ladies - you might be able to get to a smaller size than you ever thought possible with a lot of hard work and determination.

Anyway, I don't think I'll ever hit the BMI charts' lower numbers for healthy range (supposedly 107 lbs to 141 is best for me). For when I do the calculations, in order to get to 18-20% bodyfat if I maintain my current rate of "growth" (working on building muscle), I'll be about 137-140 lbs.
  • kat05317
    kat05317 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me; I'm 5'6" and hoping for 150lb goal weight. I'm thinking I will see how I feel when I get there!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    How do you know if your bones are big?

There is a gauge involving your wrist measurement.....http://www.ehow.com/how_2346297_determine-body-frame-size.html

Although my fingers overlap because I have these long Edward scissor hand fingers, it measures 7 inches and I am 5'5" (and my wrists are very bony) so please add me as well. I always laugh when people talk about being a size 6 or under because I don't think my bones alone would fit in a size 6.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    yep 100% large frame after following that link