Amazingly Beautiful Abs!!!

Options
Ding724
Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
I REALLY WANT SOME!!!

About me: I workout about 6 hours a week (due to P90X) and in general try to be active (biking & walking daily) but now that i'm happy with my weight, i'm trying to focus on lowering my body fat & finding those abs that I know are just under the surface.

I've been told by tons of people that "Abs are made in the kitchen."

Well, okay thanks, BUT if abs are made in the kitchen...THEN I NEED SOME HELP! I'm a self-proclaimed "convenience chef" and have no idea where to really even start in regards to what my body really NEEDS. I enjoy cooking when I have time & some good music on, but really don't go out of my way to cook healthy or watch what i'm eating besides keeping track of my overall calories, my sodium intake, and getting enough water. I basically eat anything I want if it fits in my calories for the day (whether it be a candy bar, popcorn, pasta or meat). This needs to stop.

I know that in order to kick it up to the next level and find those abs that i'm dying to find, I need to clean up my diet.

I would LOVE any advice on your specific favorite / quickest / cheapest / healthiest meals, snacks or go-to-foods that will fuel the body throughout the day but also help lean me out...I'm willing to change in order to find some amzingly beautiful abs :happy:

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,958 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen is just emphasizing the fact that exercise alone doesn't account for low body fat and a deficit is required, which has to do with how much you eat. Many can and do go low body fat eating whatever they want, so eating clean isn't really necessary unless you also want to improve the quality of the food your eating.
  • mjhelton
    mjhelton Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump....
    I would love to see all the comments that come back, This would be great info for me too!
    Thank you for posting this blog
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You just need to figure out how many calories your body needs on a daily basis, and eat slightly under that.
    It's all about losing the fat.

Doesn't mean you have to eat certain things.
    I've had the best results from a moderate carb, high protein diet.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    BUMP i wanna know where to start as well

I just got a brand new kitchen- wht should I put in it?
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I want to know too!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Lose fat and retain muscle. This is best done by eating at a calorie deficit, keeping protein high, and lifting heavy.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im going to keep bumping your thread, but i posted another one that includes any new hardware or whatever i'll need as well- like scales or egg timers or wtf these people might use
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Abs are partly made in the kitchen. I say this because you should be aiming to eat about 15-20% less than TDEE so your body will be willing to cut fat. Eating 1200 calories and doing P90X isn't going to cut it; literally. Now, your diet doesn't have to be perfect but cutting out process foods (pretty much anything in a box, package or can) will definitely help. I still eat pizza and burrito's occasionally and I have been able to cut fat (@ 12% body fat now). Eating fresh meats, nuts/peanut butter (healthy fats), fruits, and veggies are a good approach. Adequate protein and working on building the core is crucial. You also have to evaluate how much muscle you have. If you don't have enough lean body mass, getting abs will be more difficult (going back to having a good strong core).
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    diet: Low salt, high protein, a fair amount of fat and carbs.
    And go heavy when working them out , there's no point doing endless amounts of crunches.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Here are your answers:
    Abs are made in the kitchen is just emphasizing the fact that exercise alone doesn't account for low body fat and a deficit is required, which has to do with how much you eat. Many can and do go low body fat eating whatever they want, so eating clean isn't really necessary unless you also want to improve the quality of the food your eating.
    You just need to figure out how many calories your body needs on a daily basis, and eat slightly under that.

Lose fat and retain muscle. This is best done by eating at a calorie deficit, keeping protein high, and lifting heavy.
    Abs are partly made in the kitchen. I say this because you should be aiming to eat about 15-20% less than TDEE so your body will be willing to cut fat. Eating 1200 calories and doing P90X isn't going to cut it; literally. Now, your diet doesn't have to be perfect but cutting out process foods (pretty much anything in a box, package or can) will definitely help. I still eat pizza and burrito's occasionally and I have been able to cut fat (@ 12% body fat now). Eating fresh meats, nuts/peanut butter (healthy fats), fruits, and veggies are a good approach. Adequate protein and working on building the core is crucial. You also have to evaluate how much muscle you have. If you don't have enough lean body mass, getting abs will be more difficult (going back to having a good strong core).
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I have beautiful abs. But they're concealed behind a veil of fat... I just like to maintain the mystery, you know?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I want them so bad, I'd cut them out of someone and staple it to my stomach.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have beautiful abs. But they're concealed behind a veil of fat... I just like to maintain the mystery, you know?

Read this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html

As others have said: Slight calorie deficit, 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. + TIME
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I suggest staying away from prepackaged foods as much as possible.
    I eat a lot of fresh food; fruits, veggies, lean meats, eggs, raw nuts, things like that. Prepackaged foods i do eat are yogurt, cheese, bread, cereal, protein powder, etc. I watch my sodium intake and watch my sugars that are from non natural sources.

obviously, my diary is not perfect, and i am not claiming to have "amazingly beautiful abs" haha, but feel free to look at my food diary for an idea of what i eat.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

HAHA Lobster, you get me every time
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

This. I have a friend on here, who **** you not eats Ben & Jerrys pints with crumble poptarts. And he is in really really great shape. O_o (I'm sure you all know who im referring to here!)

I think when they say "in the kitchen" they are implying you must be at a caloric deficit. Do I suggest you eat adequate amounts of protien, fiber, fat, and carbohydrates while consuming more nutritious foods? Sure. Is it necessary to lower body fat? no!

;)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Here are your answers:

I also thought people meant eating clean when they said "abs are made in the kitchen". And I always wondered about it because I have some abs definition and I don't eat clean, as in no processed foods, etc. Thanks for clarifying.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options

tumblr_lnwltqhA7R1qzj7lm.png
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My brother eats only processed foods, no vegetables and maybe a couple of bits of fruit a week. He eats a pie every day and drinks lots of lager and beer every weekend. He plays football (soccer) once a week and he has the best abs, I hate him.

He tells me the secret is running, he says it's the only form of exercise that gives you abs.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    My brother eats only processed foods, no vegetables and maybe a couple of bits of fruit a week. He eats a pie every day and drinks lots of lager and beer every weekend. He plays football (soccer) once a week and he has the best abs, I hate him.

He tells me the secret is running, he says it's the only form of exercise that gives you abs.

Some people (men, mostly) can get away with eating whatever they want as long as they exercise. It has everything to do with metabolism.

Makes you want to punch them.