HRMs

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
Okay. I have a Nike Triax c6 watch but I can't find the chest strap. How important IS an HRM when exercising?

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise without mine. It is an accurate way to see how many calories you burn during exercising. I always was logging too high before it.
  • Kay2009
    Kay2009 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think that is wonderful about your smoking..congradulations!!! I have been smoke free for 58 days...but I have put on weight and just can't seem to have the energy to get it off.
  • ccleadbyexample
    Options
    I wear mine sometimes all day like a body bugg to see my calories throughout the day. If you don't care about calories or your heart rate.it's not a big deal..but most treadmills and online calorie calculators are off..so best to use the heart rate monitor!
    Best of luck,
    Casey
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Mine actually only arrived in the post today but I have been doing some research which is as follows :wink:

"How Do Heart Rate Monitors Work?
    Most heart rate monitors come with a chest strap and watch. The chest strap fastens around your chest and has 2 sensors, one against each side of your chest. The chest strap senses your heart rate and transmits a signal using wireless technology to the watch. The watch displays your heart rate in beats per minute. Your heart rate is then used in conjunction with your personal details to calculate further information i.e. your maximum heart rate and how many calories you have burned.

Heart rate monitors are available without chest straps, but your pulse is only recorded and displayed on demand when your fingers are in contact with sensors on the watch. A chest strap in comparison monitors your heart rate throughout your exercise session and records more accurate information.

Many heart rate monitors are designed to be compatible with the most popular ranges of gym equipment. For example, when you wear your chest strap your pulse and calorie expenditure is shown on the treadmill display."
  • JaneAusten
    JaneAusten Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a dumb question? How do women wear them? My husband has one and it looks horribly uncomfortable. Does it come in a sports bra or something?
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Go here http://www.easycarts.net/ecarts/ShoppingCart/Nike_Triax_Running_Series.html#SM0016

Scroll until you find the C6 - then select from Select Item or Product - it has an elastic strap for $8.95, and a chest monitor for $38.60 - not sure which you are looking for exactly.
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Some do fit into special bras - they sort of weave in - this is from Amazon on the polar bra - monitor sold separately!

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Bra/dp/B000GK61L6
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    My watch is usually close to what the machines say, but we have machines that have metal handles on them, and as long as your gripping the metal, your heart rate is displayed. Its calorie's burned is usualy lower than what my watch says, but it has my old weight recorded in it. Gotta set it to the new weight now.
    I think the watch is accurate, plus, I don't think my girls leave much room for a chest strap. :laugh:

Unless someone has experiance with these machines, and watches, I'd say my watch is good enough for me. I can't say it for sure though. lol
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a dumb question? How do women wear them? My husband has one and it looks horribly uncomfortable. Does it come in a sports bra or something?

Mine has an elastic chest strap. I tuck it under my band of my sports bra, can't even feel it.
  • megmryan
    megmryan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if the Polar F4 can be used as an everyday watch? I've heard you can only wear it when exercising. Does your HRM have an everyday watch function? If so, what kind is it.
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    I think that is wonderful about your smoking..congradulations!!! I have been smoke free for 58 days...but I have put on weight and just can't seem to have the energy to get it off.

I'll be honest with you...You NEVER will have the energy unless you literally make yourself get up and move. Living healthy is EXACTLY the same concept that smoking is. The more you work toward a healthy lifestyle, the harder you want to and the more you want to. Just like when we smoked...the more we smoked, the more we wanted. You need to make the decision to take the first difficult steps to taking your life back and start moving. YOU HAVE COME SO FAR WITH QUITTING SMOKING! IF YOU CAN "SURVIVE" THAT, YOU CAN DO THIS. Remember, when you're ready, we're here to support you.

:flowerforyou:
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    Does anyone know if the Polar F4 can be used as an everyday watch? I've heard you can only wear it when exercising. Does your HRM have an everyday watch function? If so, what kind is it.

As I said, I have a Triax c6 from Nike. I can use it as a regular watch and just add the chest strap (when I get the replacement strap - :flowerforyou: thanks johnnylynn) when I exercise.