Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

more weightloss, more B.O.?!

So i've been working out consistenly, mostly sticking to a good diet and for some reason my sweat is smelling awful? I've been reading that your fat metabolizing can cause the smell, but seriously? It's no bueno. Anyone have any suggestions besides an SUPER strength deodorant?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    1. are you drinking enough water?
    2. are you sweating more?
    3. are you eating foods such as asparagus, brocolli, or onions and garlic more often than you used to?

All of the above can cause you to smell... off? Are you in ketosis? this can make you smell like gasoline/alcohol.

I know when i first started changing my eating habits i started sweating and smelling like potatoes. (I swear like a bag of potato chips)

Anyways, I don't imagine it will last to long :)

Whoops! My suggestion would be a nice deodorant, maybe shower 2 times a day (atleast just rinse off), drink plenty of water, and wait it out.
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    see, that's the thing...i'm getting more than 8 cups of water a day, i'm not starving myself so I don't think it could be ketosis...not eating anything more than the except for more veggies, no granulated sugar(only what comes naturally in fruits and things). It doesn't smell like gasoline or acetone...just like someone who hasn't showered in a couple days lol (I shower daily). I've been reading that once you become more active, your deodorant might not cut it anymore so I'm going to try another one and see what happens. Thanks!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    see, that's the thing...i'm getting more than 8 cups of water a day, i'm not starving myself so I don't think it could be ketosis...not eating anything more than the except for more veggies, no granulated sugar(only what comes naturally in fruits and things). It doesn't smell like gasoline or acetone...just like someone who hasn't showered in a couple days lol (I shower daily). I've been reading that once you become more active, your deodorant might not cut it anymore so I'm going to try another one and see what happens. Thanks!

you may also want to try baby powder or talcum powder as well. :) Best of luck!
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    "bad" foods generally dont contain the "good" natural things that make you stink.... garlic, onions, cumin, etc, all the stuff that's bad for you.

i stink too. :-/ always have.

If you actually have too much sweat, ask your doc for a Rx of "drysol". I tried it but my skin is too sensitive. So try it out on a day at home first.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 320 Member
    when my feet get sweaty they smell like microwaved pop corn (how weird is that). Maybe try the dove clinical strength deodorant. If it really bothers you, you might talk to your doctor about it.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Any deodorant that has "clinical" on it. I get degree clinical. It works perfectly. It is a little expensive but definitely worth it.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Is it your sweat, or your workout clothes? The water wicking fabrics are notorious for smelling like @$$ after a while, especially if you don't wash them properly, and if you put them in the dryer it can make it worse. Then when you DO sweat when wearing them, it's just awful!
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    are you on a low carb diet? try secret clinical strength anti-perspirant
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    So i've been working out consistenly, mostly sticking to a good diet and for some reason my sweat is smelling awful? I've been reading that your fat metabolizing can cause the smell, but seriously? It's no bueno. Anyone have any suggestions besides an SUPER strength deodorant?
    If it smells like ammonia, then you're burning muscle. Not good. Are you low carbing?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Is it your sweat, or your workout clothes? The water wicking fabrics are notorious for smelling like @$$ after a while, especially if you don't wash them properly, and if you put them in the dryer it can make it worse. Then when you DO sweat when wearing them, it's just awful!

My hubby wears the underarmor type long sleeve shirts under his scrubs in the winter and they reek! I put half a cup of borax in the washer and it kills it. You can buy it at Kroger.
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    it's really just my armpits. like, i showered this morning and put on my deodorant(regular Dove) which I used before i started working out and right now i can smell my armpits..not sexy...I'm heading to the store tonight for some clinical strength to see if that helps. Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    This is from www.webmd.com. If it is a food causing it, think of any new foods you've introduced. Try eliminating them (one at a time if there is more than one) for a few days and see if helps.
    6 Tips for Reducing Body Odor

Body odor fascinates scientists. In one experiment, researchers from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn. found that people could smell a garment and know which close relative had worn it, even if they hadn't seen the relative in months. Experts conclude that body odor is influenced by environmental variables such as diet but also by other factors, including genetics.

If you have body odor, however, you're probably much less interested in the "why" and more interested in the "how." How to get rid of it -- hopefully in the privacy of your own home.

Here are six suggestions for reducing body odor, also known as bromhidrosis.

1. Keep Yourself Squeaky Clean
    Shower at least once a day -- more if needed -- and you'll wash away sweat as well as reduce the number of bacteria on your skin.

Sweat by itself is virtually odorless. But when microscopic bacteria that live naturally on your skin mix with sweat, they multiply quickly. And they raise quite a stink while they're at it.

So washing thoroughly, especially areas prone to sweating, can reduce body odor.

If you sweat normally, you might have more of a problem with body odor than those who truly have excessive sweating, called hyperhidrosis. That's because when people sweat excessively, the sweat tends to wash away the odor-causing bacteria.

2. Use Antibacterial Soap
    Choose an antibacterial bath soap. Thorough washing with an antibacterial soap bar will reduce the bacteria count, in turn reducing the odor.

Look for the words "antibacterial" on the packaging.

3. Towel Off Thoroughly
    Once you've showered, be sure you dry yourself completely. Towel off carefully, being sure areas that sweat profusely are perfectly dry.

Bacteria that cause body odor have a harder time breeding on your skin if it's dry.

4. Apply "Industrial Strength" Deodorants or Antiperspirants
    Once you are clean and dry, use a strong deodorant or antiperspirant on your underarms. While deodorants do not prevent sweating, they mask the smell of bacteria on your skin. Antiperspirants contain aluminum chloride, a chemical that reduces sweating, and often also contain a deodorant.

Stronger deodorants and antiperspirants are now available over the counter. Look for products that say on the label they are higher strength due to ingredients.

If you think you need even more help, you may want to ask your doctor about prescription antiperspirants.

Apply the deodorant or antiperspirant twice a day, morning and evening. If that's too much to remember, it's better to apply once at night, than once in the morning.

5. Keep Your Wardrobe Squeaky Clean
    Change clothes often when you're sweating heavily. Fresh clothes help keep body odor down.

Be sure to change your socks as well, especially if you tend to have foot odor. Use deodorant powders in your shoes, replace insoles frequently, and go barefoot if possible.

6. Cut Out or Cut Down "Offensive" Foods
    What you eat does affect your body odor. In one study, for instance, researchers from the Czech Republic tested the effect of red meat consumption on body odor in 17 men. The men wore underarm pads to collect body odor 24 hours after eating red meat and again in another experiment after not eating red meat.

Women volunteers who sniffed the pads found the body odor was more pleasant and less intense when the men did not eat red meat.

Foods that tend to make you sweat more, such as hot peppers or other spicy foods, might also contribute to body odor. And the aroma of foods such as onions or garlic can be carried in the sweat, making you smell like the "stinking rose."
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    1. are you drinking enough water?
    3. are you eating foods such as asparagus, brocolli, or onions and garlic more often than you used to?

All of the above can cause you to smell... off? Are you in ketosis? this can make you smell like gasoline/alcohol.

I know when i first started changing my eating habits i started sweating and smelling like potatoes. (I swear like a bag of potato chips)

Whoops! My suggestion would be a nice deodorant, maybe shower 2 times a day (atleast just rinse off), drink plenty of water, and wait it out.

This is true. When I eat a lot of onions, my arm pits/sweat smell like onions. lol.
  • 1. are you drinking enough water?

This!
    Same thing, I feel like I'm going crazy, past five days all I've been smelling is potatoes. It's not a sweaty or a nasty smell, just freaking weird.
    I thought maybe my body wash or shampoo was off or something, so on the second day I used all different products. Nope, still smell like a bag of plain chips! It's driving me nuts.
    Only thing I changed, is added more exercise and a healthier diet.
    I hope it passes soon, I'm very self conscious about it. Don't think anyone else can smell it, because just got two compliments that my hair smells like vanilla.
    Weird
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Try wiping your underarms with vinegar on a cotton ball at night before bed and put you antiperspirant/deodorant on in the morning. This really helped my son.
  • Thank you, I'll try that, although it's not distinctly coming from my underarms (or at least my deodorant is killing it). I'm smelling it on my arm right now,and when I shake my freshly washed hair out. Almost like I dabbed eau de potato on myself.
    Been googling for about half an hour now, and seems it's a common problem when people switch up their diets/exercise routines.
    Why potatoes though? Why not honey dew or something more appealing?? lol =)