I don't want you guys to think that I sold out, but...

Options
I scheduled an appointment with my doctor to discuss Gastric Bypass surgery. I know all of the risks involved, but staying at 340 pounds, or worse getting heavier, will guaranntee me an early death. Personally, I now think it's worth the roll of the dice. I know it's not going to be easy, but really I've tried to do it the diet and exercise route and just can't stick to it.
I hope you guy don't think too poorly of me, it's just getting harder and harder to do things. My "fat pants" are tight and I know that I just can't go on like this. I know I'm in for quite and journey and I just hope that you guys will continue to support me on my road to thin.

Replies

• memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You just do what you feel is right for you. We are in no position to judge ANYONE!! In my opinion, no one has the right to judge anyone!!! You just make sure you look at ALL the options before taking that major step and make sure you have plenty of support (family, friends, etc....) It's a long journey and you can't do it alone!!! I commend you, you have tried but it didn't work out so you are trying something else.

Good luck,

Memaw
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    I say...GOOD FOR YOU :flowerforyou: I personally don't care what other people think or say, everyone is their own individual and know what is best for them!!! I've also thought of the idea of the surgery and if I had more money, I probably would do that! There is this lasor surgery now called smartlipo if you go to weightloss-houston.com that has information on it. The surgery is sopose to be safer with a lot less side effects and recovery time!!!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I understand why you went there. I topped out at just under 300 and thought that was my only answer too. But then I did some research... and saw some other people who did it...and here's why I didn't go that route:

- you can't undo it. means that you might be thin but you'll always be undernourished... harder to stay healthy, harder to heal from any injury, harder to get nutrition into your body

- you will have flaps of skin everywhere, will require plastic surgery

- if you have the plastic surgery to get rid of all that excess skin, healing is going to be a long and hard process because you'll be malnourished

- it's not a guarantee. my hubby works with this guy who did it, I think 2-3 years ago now. He was big but not like 700 pounds big. Anyway he lost about 40 pounds, then put it back on. Can't remember where i got this number, but I know I researched it, and about 50% of the people who do it are still way overweight.

- it will not solve the reason you eat unhealthy to start with, whether it be not eating enough (putting your body into starvation mode), binge eating, emotional eating, whatever. The real problem will not be resolved. Which means that - you'll continue to live an unhealthy lifestyle, unless the root of the problem is addressed.

This was my last shot before going down that path. In fact, I might have had the surgery (pre-researching) if my health insurance at the time had covered it. But now with MFP and what I've learned on here, well, I've dropped 66 pounds... have 66 more to go... I learned why I had failed with other diets, why I was yo-yoing, why every time I lost any amount of weight it would always return with friends...And now I know I didn't need it. I can do this.

I believe you can too. Sure, talk to your doctor, look into it, why not? But remember the other side of the coin. I don't think at 340 you're "too big" to do this with MFP. In fact, I know you're not, I have a friend on here who was a lot bigger than that... so far she's lost almost 100 pounds...

That's just my opinion. ETA it's not a judgement on you or anyone else who has the surgery just because I am against it for a lot of people (really really big people, yeah, it may be their only option).
  • pinguita20
    Options
    Keeping healthy is all that matters, you do what you need to do without fear of judgement. Opinions cannot keep you healthy...
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    None of us got her the same way! but we are all here! No judgment from me. you do what you gotta do to live healthy, and put down that candy bar woman! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Best wishes!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I scheduled an appointment with my doctor to discuss Gastric Bypass surgery. I know all of the risks involved, but staying at 340 pounds, or worse getting heavier, will guaranntee me an early death. Personally, I now think it's worth the roll of the dice. I know it's not going to be easy, but really I've tried to do it the diet and exercise route and just can't stick to it.
    I hope you guy don't think too poorly of me, it's just getting harder and harder to do things. My "fat pants" are tight and I know that I just can't go on like this. I know I'm in for quite and journey and I just hope that you guys will continue to support me on my road to thin.

You have to go the diet and exercise route with gastric bypass too.............in particular a low carb lifestyle.

I have went through the counselling and decided I can do a low carb lifestyle without having the surgery...........

The only difference is your stomach will be smaller after the surgery and you won't be able to eat very much at all without getting sick and throwing upl

Please go to this site and read some of the threads about the ups and downs of having surgery..........

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-surgery/
  • carisarae8569
    Options
    wow! that is a huge step...I've never been that overweight to think about it my but cousin had it done..she is sooooo skinny now..she doesnt even look or act like the same person..its weird..and there are a lot of health risks in doin that....and a lot of throwing up..and usually depression!! i wouldnt do it..thats my opinion...i would stick to the anti depressant of endorphines that ur brain gives u when u work out!! ..im sorry jus my opinion...:glasses:
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I agree that you have to do what is right for you. As long as you think long and hard about it and you talk to some other people who have gone through similar experiences, I don't see any reason why shouldn't at least consider it as an option for yourself. Please continue to come back here for support!!!

I would like to tell you that I wish for you to fully prepare yourself mentally for this because of what I have watched with a family friend. She had done multiple diet and weight loss plans and finally convinced her Dr.s to let her do the surgery. She didn't have too much to lose (I thought she only needed to lose 60-75 pounds but her Dr. agreed she could do at least 100). She did great at first but never once has she exercised and now everything hangs and sags all over the place. She's constantly eating foods and drinking drinks that she shouldn't be and then joking about how it making her sick will just make her not gain weight. She's gained back about 30 pounds in the last year doing this and it makes me sick to think that she's going to try and get another procedure done. What good will this do her if she still keeps giving the same effort over and over again? I don't want you to risk your life and make all of those changes only to find yourself back where you started again. I say this with love and I mean no disrespect what-so-ever. You're two completely different people and I don't equate you with her. However, I felt like maybe you (or someone else considering this) could maybe learn from her mistakes. She did the 3 counseling sessions required and that was it. I feel like had she gone through a few more months worth of counseling, she could have made this change a positive and permanent one for her life.

I wish you the best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Well you do what is right for you. It is risky, but it works for lots of people. At least you can still be here, since you'll still have to watch what you eat after the surgery. Hope it works out for you! :flowerforyou:
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    just so you know...when you get the surgery, you are forced to eat less. and if you eat more, not only will you stretch your newly small stomach but you will regurgitate all the excess food. and it is about 50% of all those that do it remain overweight.

here's the thing. my dad REALLY wants to do it but his doctor won't let him. why? because he's addicted to food. if you are addicted to food, all the surgery in the world WILL NOT help you. you will reverse everything and potentially kill yourself faster than to begin with.

i recommend you really figure out how important being healthy is to you and if you are willing to pay a lot of money for surgery, then give yourself a one year goal. say you will try your ABSOLUTE hardest to lose 100lbs in ONE year and if you reach your goal, then you can go ahead with the surgery.

why do i say that? because if you can lose 100lbs on your own, then you have beat your addiction to food and can now SAFELY do the surgery. the upside, once you lose 100lbs, you'll realize you can lose some more weight. you will KNOW what you are capable of.

i'm not judging you at all. i've lost 70lbs and i know what it is like to not be motivated and to have an addiction to food. i struggled with it for years. but you have to put yourself first and realize that life is more important than food.

i hope this helps! good luck hon!
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    My husbands niece did it, she has lost 100lbs in 6 months, 100 more to go, she misses food the most, she can only eat about 3 ounces at a time! that is less than a jar of baby food per meal! IDK if I could do it! She also says diarrhea is a real issue. cannot go to far from the bathroom yet either! She is planning on about $35 K in plastic surgery to deal with all the hanging skin! Are you sure you want to do this?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You have to do what is best for you. If you have a good doctor, he will not allow you to do it unless you have serious health problems. But like the others said you're gonna have to learn to reign in the eating regardless. Last year I was in the over 300 club in a size 30. The only place I could shop was Catherine's and the Avenue. Now I can shop in the Misses section in the department stores. So it can be done.

I would talk to people who have had both success and failures with the surgery before you make your decision. Ultimately you and your family are the only ones who has to live with the decision.:flowerforyou:
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are selling out....I think that if you feel the way you do that you should be seeing a DR and getting all the info. Just make sure you are making an informed decision. I know it isn't an easy road.
    there was an episode of Oprah that was on in the last year about a man who lost like an unbelievable amount of weight and then gained it all back, when Oprah asked him why he never had gastric Bypass, he said that his problem was in his head not in his body (basically I know I am paraphasing, cant remember the exact words he used). I would say that if you decide to do it after getting all the info, seek counseling....to help you work thru whatever it was/is that caused you to get where you are.

Good Luck to you and I hope you feel better....everyone here is and will continue to be supportive whatever you decide!:flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Im going to be very blunt so please take no offense-

But if you can't stick to diet and exercise now how do you think that you will stick to the gastric diet?

Also alot of people that get gastric gain the weight back because your stomach can stretch back out- The diet for gastric is strict- Like if your doctor tells you that you need to lose weight first they put you on a very strict liquid diet no food- then after the surgery you are on liquid and soft foods- You still need to eat healthier and exercise is always important- Just decide if its really worth it and if you can stick to it-

Instead of gastric you go to a medical weight loss clinic where they workout and supply your foods. - I know people personally that did gastric and lost weight than packed it on again- Gastric is a quick fix but it still comes down to eating right and working out-

But then again this is your decision and you need to do what works best for you.
    Good luck with whatever you decide
  • MommyWilson
    Options
    Thank y'all for all of your concerns. I really appreciate your feedback. Trust me, I didn't come to this decision quickly at all. In fact, initially I was completely against it because it felt like giving up on myself, but what I've come to learn is that I'd be saving myself. I'd be saving my children's mother... my husband's wife..... my sister's sister..... my mother's daughter... and most of all myself. I've been attempting to lose weight for 13 years when I first had to move up into women's clothing. I can lose weight. I have lost weight, but I ALWAYS gain it back. I'll lose 20 pounds and gain back 30. Lose 30 pounds and gain back 40. It's an endless cycle. But I just can't do it anymore. I'm going to kill myself with my knife and fork! A person who isn't even 23 years old yet should be wondering about if their hair is still straight and NOT if the chair they are about to sit on can support them without breaking. The surgery I'm looking into getting will reduce the size of my stomach as well as speed up the digestion process. I am aware of all of the potential ramifications, but I am more afraid of the guarannteed complications of obesity. I have children. I have a husband. I'm in college. People wait their entire lives for a life like mine and I'm not happy because of my weight. You can't even call it weight, it's like an entire other person that I am carrying. I need built in will-power. I'm looking at it like a plane ticket. I could drive there, but I could get lost or distracted or take the wrong road. But if I fly- it's a direct course. I still take the journey, but there's much less speedy bumps in the air. I'd rather have sagging skin than be a shut-in who is unable to participate in my family's life.
    Thank you guys.
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is a very risky thing. And a very personal choice. No one will judge you for doing what you have to do for you. Please, please, research your doctor and the hospital. Read everything you can get your hands on. It is not a guarantee for weight loss. It is perceived to be the "easy" way out but it is not. The further out from surgery one gets the more "normal" one can eat again. I don't know the statistics on what percentage of people that have had WLS lose weight in the first year or two and then gain some, most, or all of it back within 5 or 10 years. But, I'd be willing to bet it is a high percentage.

I had gastric bypass surgery in 2003 and it was the best decision I ever made. It has never been easy for me. I pushed my limits early and I didn't use my new pouch as the tool it is meant to be. I lost 100 pounds from my 405+ 5ft frame in the first year (I should have lost more!). I went from 405 to about 300. Then through hard work and persistence I lost about 60 more. BUT I gained most of that back in my 3rd year. I got back on track and since then I have lost more weight and today I am lower then I've ever been since surgery @ 187.2. It hasn't been easy and I know that I am rigged differently then everyone else. It is irreversible (some are reversible like the gastric band). Unfortunately my doctor has told me that I am an anomaly. Not only do people that regain lost weight put additional weight on after this surgery, but it is very uncommon to be 6 years out and not only lose the regain but continue to lose weight that I didn’t lose initially. That is the reason I always say it is never too late for anyone to start a new day the right way. You really have to get your head right before doing this. Too, too, many go into surgery thinking they are going to be thin in a year and go right about doing the things they've always done. If you do you'll be sick. Physically sick and it isn't pretty. BUT it is just like an alcoholic that knows the alcohol is killing them but they can't stop drinking. I know the fact that I pay dearly when I eat certain things has NEVER stopped me from eating them. And it doesn't matter how big your pouch is, if you graze all day the pouch will empty very quickly and you will be constantly hungry. As far as plastic surgery is concerned; yes, many need it. It depends on many factors but quick weight loss will leave loose skin. I have my share and maybe when I get to my goal I will look into having some removed. That is just one price I will have to pay. It happens. I could go on but I'll leave it at that. If you'd like to chat or have questions email me.

Good Luck with whatever decision you make. I know this site is a wonderful place to get motivation to do the right things. I wish I would have found it sooner. I'm glad you're here.:flowerforyou:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I need built in will-power. I'm looking at it like a plane ticket. I could drive there, but I could get lost or distracted or take the wrong road. But if I fly- it's a direct course. I still take the journey, but there's much less speedy bumps in the air.

This is what worries me about your attitude about the surgery. You aren't listening to the BTDT people and those close to them - this is NOT going to solve your weight loss problem unless you fix your eating problem too. Just the few people who responded to you, everyone knows at least one or two people who did the surgery and GAINED IT ALL BACK or didnt' lose it at all. Why did they fail with this "built in willpower"? Because it's not. It's harder than just watching what you eat and making good choices. It's not by any means foolproof, as it takes you committing to eating the way you're supposed to in order for it to work, and that's what I see missing from your statements. Again, it's not a judgement, but a blunt observation, because I think that based on what you've said so far, you will fail with this surgery.... You seem to have glossed over everyone telling you that you have to have strict dietary restrictions FOREVER.. just because you can't eat more than a few ounces at a time, doesn't mean you won't constantly want food and be constantly grazing, thereby rendering the surgery ineffective. I say this out of concern and not judgement.

These are the same things I see in my hubby, who wants the surgery, but I'm totally against it because he feels it's a fix it quick solution, and it's not, he thinks it will be easy, even though he's watched people totally fail because they couldn't or wouldn't stick to the plan.

You said it's a plane ride instead of driving there - it's not. I will lose more weight I bet in 12 mos than you will, and I will not have bags of skin or potential health problems....
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    my boyfriends mom had it done and she's glad that she did but also upset that she did at the same time...she had gone up to 310lbs before she had it done....now shes at 172 in a mere 9months.... but she'll never be able to eat sugar again, it causes her body to go into shakes or vomit....she also has trouble even eating dinner because it doesnt digest well for some reason....you also cant drink during a meal...i think it has something to do with expanding any food in ur belly....and now she also has a lot of loose skin....but it is a personal choice and even though she hates the changes she's had to make she is a lot happier and i personally think because she does take all her multivitamins she is far more healthier than she has ever been
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I agree with what many people are saying here, especially adopt4.

I definitely think the risks are not worth the reward. Also, one really has to be aware that the lifestyle change required after the surgery is drastic and requires as much (if not more) will power than diet and exercise.

I'm not saying gastric bypass doesn't have its uses or benefits but I think the successes are over exagerrated.

Remember Carnie Wilson?

What does your doctor think about your decision?

Good luck in whatever decision you make. Please keep us updated.